Naps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arayofsunshine

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

My second is 11.5 months old. She’s been napping 2-3 times a day.

However, my first by this stage was down to one nap a day.

Second has always been a serial cat napper.

First always napped more than average.

So I’m not sure if I should be worrying about my second napping 2-3 time a day.

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

I have cat nappers. First baby went from 3-5 x 30 min naps per day, to 2 x 45 min naps, then eventually 1 x 1.5 hour nap. Second baby is 10mo, he’s gone from 3 x 30 mins to 2 x 30 mins. I can’t see him managing all day on one 30 min nap any time soon, so I think he will keep two naps for a long time, or until he learns to nap for longer!

Go with what your baby needs, it doesn’t really matter what’s normal, or what others are doing, as long as she’s happy and healthy and coping with the sleep she’s getting.

#3 Hands Up

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:55 AM

I think 2-3 cat naps is normal at that age. Mine kept their two longer naps until 14 months for the first and 16 months for the second.

#4 Mooples

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

Ds1 was having 2 x 1.5 hour naps until he was almost 2 so I wouldn’t be worrying about an almost 1 year old having 2 or 3 shorter naps. It’s awesome once they start putting cycles together and sleep for longer but doesn’t always happen so you need to go with the flow and be flexible for each baby.

#5 Caribou

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:29 AM

I wouldn't worry. my first was like your first, but my second didn't move to 1 nap a day until about 13-14 months? it happened, just no on the same progress as my first.

my first dropped all day sleeps by 18months! :o

my second, not yet, thankfully, I dread that day. While in a way it makes going out easier, but in another way, from dusk til dawn with a toddler is HARD. I'm so glad he's still napping!

Edited by Caribou, 19 October 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Mine never liked sleep.

First was a 3 cat naps a day until about 4m when he dropped even those completely. At least to compensate he slept 10pm to 8am. He is my child who does not sleep and now takes Melatonin to get to sleep, but is still up 6am every day.. even though he is 13yrs and nearly through puberty (13yo in 16yo body). No deal sleeping teen here.

Second was similar. Few day cat naps dropped before 12m. He did do a 45mins sleep between 15-20m but gave that up too. He does sleep well now at 11yrs. Falls asleep as head hits pillow.

DD was no day sleep or cat naps until 16m then did 1hrs until 20m when she gave up day sleeps entirely too. She also takes melatonin to get to sleep as otherwise she is up after midnight. She is nearly 9yrs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.