60th Birthday present for a Mum who has lost her daughter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carrietarool

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I wasnt sure where to post this...

My best friend died on 30th December last year from advanced Bowel cancer. She was 33 years old and left behind a loving husband and a 3 year old son.
Since high school my husband and i were always very close friends with her and her husband, aswell as her parents and brother.

Her mums 60th birthday is coming up and understandably she only wanted a very small gathering as she doesnt feel like celebrating, my husband and I are invited because of our very close friendship with her daughter, , and i am totally stumped as to what to give her as a birthday present. I feel like it needs to be something special and meaningful , though I know that no material gift can ever ease the pain of what she is going through.
Just looking for any ideas for any kind of special meaningful gift I could give to her as chocolates or a bottle of wine just doesnt seem enough in this situation.

#2 Lady Gray

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

Im so sorry for your loss.  

I read this on EB once about sharing stories about the person who has died with their loved ones that they may have not heard before.  Perhaps you could do a memory book with funny or heartfelt stories and some pictures she might not have seen before?  Or is that too much pressure?

#3 MooGuru

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:37 PM

Could you make a book of your favourite memories with your friend with photos as well as things you've written (as well other people if you so choose.)

A way of making her daughter part of her special day?

However different people may react differently - DH would not like this - he rarely talks about DS or looks at photos etc because he cant cope with that. Meanwhile I and my parents would love this more than anything.

#4 fancie shmancie

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:46 PM

A plant?

Perhaps with the name of her daughter?

My mum's favourite plant (and scent) was lilac.  DH and I came across a lilac tree at a nursery a couple of years ago with my mum's name as the variety of lilac.

I had to have it.

There are a huge number of roses with female names as part of their names.

Or a flowering shrub with flowers the same colour as your friend's favourite colour?

#5 tayto.tired

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

Did she and her daughter share an interest or love of something - a favourite flower, art, books, animals, film, theatre, food - if so that could perhaps steer you to something that would remind her of her daughter, but that she would like too.

I am so sorry for your loss x

#6 Silvers

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:04 PM

This will be a tough birthday for her.  Depending on your budget maybe a night away to a favourite destination, spa/facial treatment, theatre tickets, restaurant voucher.

Gifts probably won’t have much meaning for her this year but I’m sure she would appreciate a beautifully written card.

#7 maryanneK

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

I understand that she is feeling the loss of her daughter as a milestone birthday approaches, but I would try and keep some focus on her, not her lost daughter

after all - its not like an anniversary of the daughters death, or the daughter's birthday that you are commemorating - it is the mother's 60th birthday.

I would steer clear of things like photo books of the daughter, I think that would overshadow her own birthday. She might want to just try and be happy for 5 minutes.

just give her something nice but not too materialistic. Dont over think it, no present is going to make the occasioan easier.  A nice potted plant or flower arrangement? A really nice bottle of champagne? you can drink it together and celebrate her birthday, or drink it together while you remember the daughter?

Something a bit decadent, like really nice chocolates? I know it sounds a bit generic, but something that feels like a treat without being too over the top is what I would go for

So sorry for your loss OP, so sad

#8 *Melstar*

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

I'm thinking something where maybe you could start a birthday tradition with your best friends mum. High tea somewhere / trip to theatre - something that could become an annual thing that you and her do together, around her birthday. I think she would appreciate you spending time with her, more than material things. At 60, most people have the essentials. So a lovely card, with a ticket / event is the way I would go.

I also would steer clear of photo books etc, keep it about her birthday.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

#9 Mollyksy

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my mum so I am thinking from that perspective. I like the generic special gift like choc or champagne. I had a milestone bday and I'd have loved a photo book type gift but the party itself wouldn't be the time to do it. If you do that, give it to her a couple of days ahead perhaps. I also love the spending time together idea too.

In fact, I would maybe work on pics and stories for the 3 year old to enjoy later on. From my perspective having not known my dad that well, stories that illustrate the person's personality and values and lessons they'd learned. The 3 year old will eventually be trying to work themselves out, which parent of any have them x characteristic type thing. A gift like that would have been super special. I so appreciated people telling stories etc.

And a big hug to you too. Cancer sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.