Mix feeding questions...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostElly_Bells, on 02 November 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

I wondered this too and have seen an LC at the hospital who absolutely rammed DD onto my breast and showed me how to hold her.
Oh goodness, yes this - but it really does actually work.  DD2 did have a tie and I was in agony with her early feeds - and LC advised the putting a lot more boob in than baby was grabbing.

It was an eye-opener - but it also did work a lot better than the little grab that was going on.

#27 HolierThanCow

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostElly_Bells, on 09 November 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the responses. It is such a relief to hear that so many have been able to continue breastfeeding and supplementing from time to time. I have been trying to avoid seeing an expensive LC although I may have to in the end. Next week I am seeing a GP who deals with lactation issues and the council also has a breastfeeding clinic I can access for now.
I have done a lot of reading and am wondering whether we have a clampdown bite reflex going on, and/or possible vasospasm as the symptoms all fit. I will follow this up next week. Thanks again.

If you have vasospasm, the best remedy I found was warm compresses prior to feeding (I had vasospasm which probably peaked at about 3-4weeks in terms of pain). I was prescribed some kind of cream I can't remember the name of now, but warm compresses worked better. It is made worse by nipple damage.

If you do see a lactation consultant, bear in mind they can be 'hit and miss' for a lot of us. I saw many different health professionals for our feeding problems (MCHN, midwives, LCs) and of all of them, it was a visiting student LC from Canada who spotted the vasospasm and a different LC (not with the student) who finally said to stop trying to get the 'perfect latch' and to literally just shove as much boob into the baby's mouth as possible as soon as she opened it. Sounds ridiculous (and it wasn't pretty), but it worked well enough to allow the nipple damage to heal.

All these issues did resolve themselves, as did my supply problems, by about 8weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.