Unusual crying

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bluesombre

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:11 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as we have. Our baby girl is 10 weeks old (4 weeks premmie) and every now and again goes through a mood where the second you sit down while holding her she starts crying. Stand up and she stops instantly. This can go on for as long as half an hour. During this odd behavior period we will check nappy, check to see if we can hear if she is having any reflux or gas problems and so on but even if the issue was gas or reflux it doesn't seem to make sense she would stop the second we stand. I have even deliberately held my arms so that as I sit down, the position doesn't change and she is still held just above my lap in case there was an issue with there being a bend or compressing or something with her stomach.
Coincidentally today when she was in this fussy period and ni decided that if she continued she was going into her crib and into her room for a while, she stopped as soon as she was put back down in her crib (note that this fussy period usually starts with her crying when she is in her crib, not while we have her out)

#2 Fred85

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

I have had the same experience as you. When my DS was little there would be days that I would just pace the house with him. He was perfectly happy with this arrangement, but if I dared to sit down he would scream the house down. So I think it's fairly normal? And it does pass once they get a bit older :)

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Look into baby wearing. It’s quite normal for them to want you to hold them while standing for some reason. My 11mo still isn’t happy at being held while sitting (plane flights are not fun). See if there is a baby wearing group near you who can help you find a good carrier and learn to use it correctly (I see so many babies being worn dangerously, it’s really worthwhile getting a helping hand and not from a major baby shop).

#4 lozoodle

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sounds like standard baby behaviour to me

#5 ~ Ohana~

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

I think they like the motion of when your standing. My bub does the same thing.

#6 Mooples

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

We had the same thing here. My carrier was used everyday in those early weeks with dh and I taking turns in wearing ds2 almost all day. Given she was prem her corrected age is 6 weeks which is when these things start to peak. Hopefully you get some relief again soon.

#7 Jenflea

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:19 AM

To me that's normal crying.

Babies have spent 9 months being soothed by the motion of your body as you walk and move around. It's normal for them to like being walked around once they are born and having to deal with all the sights and sounds and smells of the world.

Baby wear so you can get stuff done and can have your arms free.

#8 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:09 PM

We had it too OP, I remember walking up and down the hall with both DD and DS and not sitting until they had fallen asleep, hoping desperately that it wouldn’t wake them.   It’s exhausting but from memory it didn’t last too long - probably only a few weeks for us, although it felt endless while we were going through it.

#9 Bluesombre

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

Thank you all for your responses. It just seemed unusual for the fact that when I stood with her it didn't even need to be moving around, literally just standing up and being there for a couple of seconds even without walking it moving would stop the crying.

#10 imme

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

Ah yes, the old standing thing... I don't get it either because I never had to move, just stand there.  But it worked and that's what was important!  :)

#11 panda eyes

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

Babies like you to be uncomfortable. I don't know why!

#12 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:22 PM

Yep what panda eyes said. babies hate to be held in a way that makes it easy on parents i.e sitting down, arms supported.

When ever I have held babies my own or those of others they always calm better if I stand or walk

#13 gc_melody

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

A bit left of field but do you hear gurgling or smell acid on your baby's breath? Usually this is normal behaviour but sometimes, the up and down motion can indicate reflux rising, hence the crying when you sit down.  Personally I;d do some watchful waiting as on it's own it's interesting but within normal bounds of infant behaviour, but if any additional symptoms arise suggestive of silent reflux happen, I'd ask for the LO to be examined to be on the safe side.

Edited by gc_melody, 29 November 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#14 Boganly Pooks

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:31 PM

Have you got a baby swing? Or could you borrow one? Saved my sanity twice. Blessed contraptions.

#15 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

My oldest much preferred me standing up and somehow knew when I sat down even when she appeared fast asleep. We used to baby wear her and take turns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.