Jump to content

Crazy Rich Asians (Am I the only one who didn't enjoy it?!)


  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 c.sanders

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

Heard such good reviews but was totally "meh" and a little bored....

Anyone else totally not enjoy it at all??

#2 Holly298

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

Nope, I thought it was more like a midday movie, the scenery and locations and music were awesome but the story line and acting I found really boring

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:00 AM

I enjoyed it.

#4 RunningDad

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Loved it.

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

The trailer made me want to hide in my handbag, so there was no way I was going to watch the movie.

#6 71Cath

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

The trailer made me want to crawl out of my skin.  It feels racist to me.  But everyone says it isn't racist, so is that just my white privilege talking?


I'm so conflicted, I cant go and see it.

*waits for flaming*

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

I enjoyed it. It's not deep and meaningful, it's just a light rom com with spectacular visuals.
I think it's hard when a movie has been talked up, for it to meet expectations.
And I think part of why this one has been talked up is because it's so rare for minorities to dominate any movie in Hollywood, and there would have been so many challenges on the way to making it happen. Apparently the author had it suggested to him that the main female character be replaced by a white girl. Point... completely missed by that studio.

#8 molinero

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Both book and movie were a bit of lighthearted fun. I enjoyed them both and had a chuckle.

#9 mandala

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM

It was worth the ticket price for the totally WT...? wedding ceremony. I still laugh at the memory of it.

#10 GraeB

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

Absolutely loved it!

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

View Postmandala, on 09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

It was worth the ticket price for the totally WT...? wedding ceremony. I still laugh at the memory of it.

That was awesome. That's the bit I get the most flashbacks to.

#12 curlin

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hilarious! Loved it!!...like an Asian version of My Big Fat Greek wedding. Enjoy it for what it is not for intellectual discourse.

#13 c.sanders

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

I guess I didn't find it funny. Hence the meh. Possibly I needed more character development too.  Don't judge me but I just watched venom last week and that had a lot if character development and I found it funny. I thought this was surely going to be more funny but I hardly laughed... And I'm an easy laugh too.

#14 It's Percy

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

I loved it but I live in Asia and my children go to a school with many people who would fit right into the movie. Also lots of it was filmed here in Malaysia so I loved seeing bits of Malaysia - like the mahjong scene isn't behind an old chop shop in Singapore, its actually an old mansion in Penang called Cheong Fatt Tze mansion. We stayed there once as its now a boutique hotel. From the movie it looks like they just took out the breakfast tables and put in mahjong tables as the rooms looked just the same as when we visited :)

#15 ainira

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

View PostIt, on 09 November 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

I loved it but I live in Asia and my children go to a school with many people who would fit right into the movie. Also lots of it was filmed here in Malaysia so I loved seeing bits of Malaysia - like the mahjong scene isn't behind an old chop shop in Singapore, its actually an old mansion in Penang called Cheong Fatt Tze mansion. We stayed there once as its now a boutique hotel. From the movie it looks like they just took out the breakfast tables and put in mahjong tables as the rooms looked just the same as when we visited :)

I think that may have been one of the criticisms -- passing Malaysia off as Singapore? Also the film potentially portraying Asians as being just SE Asians?

I've only read the book, which I loved. I also appreciated the footnotes and random phrases in Cantonese :) What I like about the trailer is seeing actors of Asian decent in starring roles without reverting to stereotypes of martial arts or being "exotic", and especially without the Asian accent :)

Edited by ainira, 09 November 2018 - 01:49 PM.


#16 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:28 PM

View Postainira, on 09 November 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think that may have been one of the criticisms -- passing Malaysia off as Singapore? Also the film potentially portraying Asians as being just SE Asians?

Singapore WAS a part of Malaysia so it's not like architecture wise there is much difference when you are looking at the old buildings.
The movie is American, perhaps that's what they associate with the word 'Asians'.

#17 No Drama Please

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

I suppose a lot of films use different locations than they are supposed to be set in though, I didn’t really think it was trying to pass off Malaysia as Singapore, more artistic feel for the movie. A lot of it was so Singapore it was like an ad for the Singapore tourism board!

I also loved the random phrases and the way they showed them making dumplings as a family tradition even though they were loaded :)

#18 It's Percy

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 09 November 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

I suppose a lot of films use different locations than they are supposed to be set in though, I didn’t really think it was trying to pass off Malaysia as Singapore, more artistic feel for the movie. A lot of it was so Singapore it was like an ad for the Singapore tourism board!


This is what I thought too. Plus Singapore has destroyed a lot of there old buildings (so has KL though...) so places like the mahjong hall I described above don't really exist anymore. I felt there was plenty of Singapore in the movie like the hotel whose name escapes me now, where they had the party and the gardens.

#19 Pearson

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

I thought it might have been racist too, but really, it was just a rom com...with 99.99% Asian actors. (.01% were extras)

really, it is just singapore instead of conneticut or LA or somewhere like that ....

#20 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

View PostIt, on 09 November 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

I felt there was plenty of Singapore in the movie like the hotel whose name escapes me now, where they had the party and the gardens.

Marina Bay Sands?

#21 ainira

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

This is a savage 2 minute explanation of the movie :lol: https://youtu.be/o2NX2c1q6Yo

#22 c.sanders

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

I loved the actors.  I guess I just expected better quality from them.

I didn't enjoy slumdog millionaire either.  It felt like whitewashed voyeuristic look into everyday life in asia

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:02 PM

I liked it, but I like silly rom coms

#24 Sincerely

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:28 PM

View PostIt, on 09 November 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:



This is what I thought too. Plus Singapore has destroyed a lot of there old buildings (so has KL though...) so places like the mahjong hall I described above don't really exist anymore. I felt there was plenty of Singapore in the movie like the hotel whose name escapes me now, where they had the party and the gardens.

The British Colonial influence resulted in some beautiful architecture in Malaysia, Singapore & Hong Kong. I still fondly remember my year of kindergarten at Light St Convent, a block from Mansion Fatt Tze.

#25 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:32 PM

Just watched this movie.  I enjoyed it despite not really being one for Rom Coms. I think it helped that I have a couple of friends from Singapore and I could see a lot of resemblance in the friend Peik Lim, the mannerisms and good sense of humor.

Havent read the book. Might put it on my 'If I get bored' list.




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.