Please help me find a new foundation - mature skin - Updated - finally!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Gumbette

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:43 PM

I currently wear Nars Natural Radiant Longwear ($71 - 30ml).  I love it in every way except it never sets. Ever.  Doesn't matter if I prime, don't prime, use a setting spray or not. Comes off onto everything, constantly. Can anyone recommend me a new foundation?

I'm looking for:

1. Suitable for mature skin so nothing matte - must be a natural / satin finish
2. Good range of colours - I have very weird colouring so very hard to match
3. Preferably liquid
4. SPF is a bonus but I'm happy to use an SPF base
5. Must set!

Thanks!

Edited by Gumbette, 12 December 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#2 Daffy2016

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

Have you tried Nars sheer glow? I find it works really well but doesn’t have the same level of coverage as the longwear. I know quite a few people have had that problem with the longwear but have been fine with other Nars ones, if the colour works for you.

Otherwise I’ve heard Urban Decay is excellent and a heavier coverage than the sheer glow.

#3 ceeshell

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

I use the Nars Radiant Tinted Moisturiser as an every day foundation. It is sheer but can build.

#4 EmmDasher

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

I have dry skin so I prefer a liquid natural/satin finish also. My colour match in Mac was NC13 which is tricky to match. I had the same theory about going for a brand with heaps of shades but in the end kind of landed in the territory of brands that were notorious for leaning yellow. I couldn’t find a good formula match in brands with a huge shade range.

I prefer a light-medium finish so these all might be too light coverage but I’ve just done a mammoth search for a new foundation and tried a whole heap:

Winner for me - Napoleon Liquid Cashmere in Look 1 applied over GoTo sunscreen

Also liked:

Bourjois Healthy Mix - blending two shades together. No SPF but a lovely finish. Not quite the right colour for me. If I could have nailed the colour this would have been a hands down winner.

Bobbi Brown Skin Nourishing Glow Foundation - lightweight and breathable but expensive.

Too Faced Born This Way - heaps of shade options but didn’t sit quite as well on my skin as the Napoleon.

Hourglass Hyaluronic skin tint which is categorized as a bb cream but has very buildable coverage. I love this one also but the colour match was marginally better with the Napoleon.

Disastrous: MAC studio fix (too matte), MAC studio sculpt, Nars Sheer Glow (drying!), L’Oréal True Match (never set), Lancôme (too pink)

Edited by EmmDasher, 28 November 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#5 Gumbette

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 28 November 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

I have dry skin so I prefer a liquid natural/satin finish also. My colour match in Mac was NC13 which is tricky to match. I had the same theory about going for a brand with heaps of shades but in the end kind of landed in the territory of brands that were notorious for leaning yellow. I couldn’t find a good formula match in brands with a huge shade range.

I prefer a light-medium finish so these all might be too light coverage but I’ve just done a mammoth search for a new foundation and tried a whole heap:

Winner for me - Napoleon Liquid Cashmere in Look 1 applied over GoTo sunscreen

Also liked:

Bourjois Healthy Mix - blending two shades together. No SPF but a lovely finish. Not quite the right colour for me. If I could have nailed the colour this would have been a hands down winner.

Bobbi Brown Skin Nourishing Glow Foundation - lightweight and breathable but expensive.

Too Faced Born This Way - heaps of shade options but didn’t sit quite as well on my skin as the Napoleon.

Hourglass Hyaluronic skin tint which is categorized as a bb cream but has very buildable coverage. I love this one also but the colour match was marginally better with the Napoleon.

Disastrous: MAC studio fix (too matte), MAC studio sculpt, Nars Sheer Glow (drying!), L’Oréal True Match (never set), Lancôme (too pink)

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately my skin isn't nice enough for something light / sheer (maybe 20 years ago!).

I might try the Napoleon & BB ones - thank you!  Prior to moving to Nars I used MAC studio fix for about 10 years, and yes it's now too matte for my skin.

#6 Nobodyelse

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

This goes against everything I stand for because when it comes to make up, foundation is about all I own. So I am no expert. It is also an informercial product but I am in love with Thin Lizzie's liquid foundation.

It is super light but still evens out my now aging skin tones with good coverage and the applicator brush makes it a five minute job in the morning. Dab it on the T section, the cheeks and chin, rub rub rub with the big blue brush. Doneski.

https://www.pricelin...dation-ki-1-kit

Edited by Nobodyelse, 28 November 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Kirra29

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

Fenty!! It is absolutely incredible. It says it’s matte but it’s not overly so, it has a satiny glow to it. It is honestly the most beautiful foundation I’ve ever used, and I’ve tried dozens. I ran out a few months ago and ended up buying the colourpop one to try out, which was also great especially for the price. However, the fenty just leaves all others in the dust. It makes my skin glowing perfection, I get such a confidence boost wearing it. Plus they have such an incredible shade range and the one I use is a perfect match for my skin. Honestly cannot recommend highly enough

#8 EmmDasher

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

I wish someone would put as much effort into a shade range for formulas for dry skin as they do for the matte finish ranges. It’s annoying to find your shade match but be unable to get it in a formulation that works.

#9 MamaNita

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:58 PM

I swear by Giorgio Armani - Designer Lift. Uh-mazing. Get a sample first as it is quite expensive. You will not be disappointed.

FWIW - I breakout all the time, combination skin.

#10 Gumbette

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostKirra29, on 28 November 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Fenty!! It is absolutely incredible.

No Sephora here unless I go on a weekend and then it's full of teenagers, so Fenty is probably out of the question until after Christmas.  The range of shades (40) looks promising - finally something for olive skin that isn't pink.

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

Gumbette (edit because that was a weird autocorrect!) have you tried Findation? It’s a website where you plug in brands/shades that work for you and it recommends shades in other brands. I’ve found it pretty accurate.

Edited by EmmDasher, 28 November 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#12 franklymum

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Napolean BB cream with 30 plus sunscreen. I use the light/medium. Normally I prefer 100% natural make-up but since I've been using this, my skin glows - to the point that people have mentioned it quite a bit.

It's not too pricey either. I just recently bought 3 bottles of the stuff in the black friday sales as it was 50% off so I'm sorted for a while.

The above statements are probably the most that I've ever said about a product I like in any form of communication EVER if that counts for anything!

#13 BeAwesome

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

I love the products from Lust Minerals:

https://www.lustminerals.com.au/

#14 Grassyrat

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

My mum uses the Dior one for mature skin (sorry I don't know the name) but it does a good job at keeping a dewy look and smoothing fine lines, as she's in her mid 60's

#15 *Melstar*

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 28 November 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Gumbette (edit because that was a weird autocorrect!) have you tried Findation? It’s a website where you plug in brands/shades that work for you and it recommends shades in other brands. I’ve found it pretty accurate.

*off to find this magical unicorn site you speak of*

#16 Jane Jetson

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear 24 Hour. Also in 40 or so shades, I believe. A fair few darker shades, which is good, but also a really decent range of super-pale, which is unusual.

It also says it's matte, but I don't believe it because it looks dewy on me. I'm in that unhappy fortysomething phase where oily skin is transitioning to dry, so I still have big pores - and I was *so* disappointed to find Fenty settled into those and sat there like a Lichtenstein artwork - but my skin's no longer glowy and I have creases that the Lancome doesn't settle into.

I still use a tiny bit of powder on the T-zone, as the Lancome's not as matte as it claims to be.

#17 WaitForMe

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

I used to use the Hourglass hyaluronic skin tint and mostly loved it except over the day it would settle in my frown lines.

So now I'm using Ellis Faas Skin Veil, which cost a bomb - I learnt an important lesson with Mecca to always ask how much things cost before deciding on them. The colour could be better on me, but other than that its pretty good. I often go to the gym at lunch time, get very sweaty, wash the rest of my body but leave my makeup and its still fine. Still reeling at the cost though.

#18 Moo-me

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

What kind of skin do you have? Dry? Oily or combination?
Do you have any ethical concerns? Are you in a major city?

#19 Moo-me

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

View PostGrassyrat, on 28 November 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

My mum uses the Dior one for mature skin (sorry I don't know the name) but it does a good job at keeping a dewy look and smoothing fine lines, as she's in her mid 60's

Capture totale?

#20 Gumbette

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostMoo-me, on 28 November 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

What kind of skin do you have? Dry? Oily or combination?
Do you have any ethical concerns? Are you in a major city?

Combination, but more of the dry side.  Sydney's North Shore (but I don't EVER go into the CBD). Preference is vegan (this is more for brushes), and no animal testing, but this is harder as although some brands don't test their parent companies do (i.e L'Oreal - Kiehls / Lancome).

#21 Lady Gray

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

I’ve just started using Clinique even better glow and I really love it.

#22 Gumbette

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 28 November 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

So now I'm using Ellis Faas Skin Veil, which cost a bomb - I learnt an important lesson with Mecca to always ask how much things cost before deciding on them. T

I hear you.  I once walked in for a $30 concealer & walked out with a $50 Bobbi Brown concealer & $76 eye cream that worked no better than my $12 Ego one.  They are also awesome at upselling.

View PostEmmDasher, on 28 November 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

OMG.  There is so much to choose from!  Thank you! BareMinerals by Bare Escentuals looks promising - also has SPF 20. Will also look at Fenti & Lancome.

Edited by Gumbette, 29 November 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#23 jgirl7

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostMamaNita, on 28 November 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

I swear by Giorgio Armani - Designer Lift. Uh-mazing. Get a sample first as it is quite expensive. You will not be disappointed.

FWIW - I breakout all the time, combination skin.
I second this, absolutely beautiful for mature skin.  I have light/medium skin so use No. 5. It is SPF 20. If you are in the north side of Sydney it should be available at DJs Chatswood.

Edited by jgirl7, 29 November 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#24 night jasmine

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:18 AM

Chanel vitalumiere aqua. It’s 30ml and around the same price as the Nars foundation you’re using. I only ever buy it duty free for about $60-$65.

It’s light-medium, dewey finish, spf, long lasting and sets.

Edited by night jasmine, 29 November 2018 - 08:22 AM.

#25 Gumbette

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Ok, you've twisted my arm, will pop down to DJ's today to try the Chanel. My only problem might be that it's limited to 7 shades with Beige being the darkest.

View Postjgirl7, on 29 November 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

I second this, absolutely beautiful for mature skin.  I have light/medium skin so use No. 5. It is SPF 20. If you are in the north side of Sydney it should be available at DJs Chatswood.

View PostMamaNita, on 28 November 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

It's $109. Ouch!  SPF 20 is enticing but I need to draw the line somewhere otherwise I'll be buying La Mer foundation soon!

Edited by Gumbette, 29 November 2018 - 08:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.