NIPS fine, what could be wrong in the 13 wk scan and bloods?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 MwahMum

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

Save me from googling and possible rabbit holes.

Had percept, all results low risk.

Had 13 week scan and bloods.

Went in this morning,  results weren't in, but would be this monring and she'd call me with results.

I've now had a call that I have to go in to talk through the results.

What could this show up that wouldn't show in the Percept?

Appointment isn't till 3 and I am trying very hard not to freak out about this.

#2 EmmDasher

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

It is standard practice in my experience for many doctors to give results (good or bad) in person. I’ve never received results by email or over the phone. In my experience, this appointment is most likely nothing to worry about.

In terms of what might be picked up that wasn’t picked up by the NIPT - any physical anomaly eg. Neural tube defects. Precept only tests for a small number of ‘common’ chromosomal defects.

Edited by EmmDasher, 30 November 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

They just want to explain the results to you that's all - I've always had to have them explained in person (always good)

#4 blackcat20

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:57 AM

It always annoys me that doctors want to talk about results (or non-results) in person. Like I want to spend $75 and leave work early only to be told results are all fine.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

Actually the only time a Dr called and gave me blood results over the phone (non PG related) was because there was potential tumour growth on pituitary glad. She urgently wanted MRI scans etc.

So for me discussion in person has usually be for fine results with a “your vitamin D levels are low so take 3x normal dosage of tablets a day”.

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

There are a couple of things that could show up. One of the things they test is PAPP-A. A low level of PAPP-A can be an indicator or predictor of issues later in pregnancy like IUGR. Usually nothing to worry about, but you might not even have that. Try not to stress!!

#7 MwahMum

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks all.

Given when I went in this morning,  she said she'd just call with the results, and now we need an appointment is what's stressing me out.

Have had a google of some of those possibilities,  thanks for narrowing it down.

And appreciate the reassurance re: nothimg to worry about x

#8 Beanette

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Could it be something simple like low iron or low vitamin D?

#9 MsLaurie

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

Quite possibly something about your health rather than bub? Perhaps low vitamins or quirky blood type or similar? Try to pop it out of mind, keep busy in the meantime.

#10 MwahMum

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Already have low vitamin D results from earlier blood test. Am on supplements

#11 Beanette

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:47 AM

How did your appointment go yesterday?

#12 MooGuru

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:30 PM

For me it was the discovery I have a negative blood type and would need the anti D injections.

#13 MwahMum

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the follow ups.

The results were all low risk, except for my age that pushes me into high risk for DS.

Because of this, doc wanted to chat in person about next steps. Which for me will be the amnio.

#14 Demera

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:43 PM

If your NIPS test result was low risk, why have the amnio?

#15 Future-self

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

View PostDemera, on 02 December 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

If your NIPS test result was low risk, why have the amnio?
Agreed. The whole point of havig a NIPT is to avoid the risk of an amnio for a meaningless statisitic like your age. Best practice is an ultrasound to look at structure combined with the NIPT like the Panorama. If you have the NIPT they aren't suppossed to be concerned with the age ratio at all. An amnio would then be recommended if somthing shows from the NIPT. There is no way I would be having an amnio simply from my age. Seek a second opinion.

#16 Lou-bags

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:26 AM

Echoing the two PPs. I would not undergo the risk of an amnio when the nipt and other results all look fine and low risk, and age is the only factor pushing your odds higher.
What was the risk number she gave you?

#17 MwahMum

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:01 AM

Happy to be challenged, but know what O can and can't deal with. Have a close friend with a DS child who is lovely. Bit that is a path I'm not willing to go down, with the option available.

Age risk is 1 in 35.
Total risk 1 in 240.

Both significantly higher than the risk rates for amnio.

I have read other's experiences of amnio and testing choices on here, including one long term member, who said someone has to be the '1' in whatever percent. If there's a test that can rule that out, that carries less risk than the alternative, that's the best option for me.

#18 Future-self

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostMwahMum, on 03 December 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

Happy to be challenged, but know what O can and can't deal with. Have a close friend with a DS child who is lovely. Bit that is a path I'm not willing to go down, with the option available.

Age risk is 1 in 35.
Total risk 1 in 240.

Both significantly higher than the risk rates for amnio.

I have read other's experiences of amnio and testing choices on here, including one long term member, who said someone has to be the '1' in whatever percent. If there's a test that can rule that out, that carries less risk than the alternative, that's the best option for me.
What was the NIPT number though? With those numbers they would then send you for an NIPT if you hadn’t already done one. Those numbers look at pure statistics, the NIPT looked at YOU.
Its’s not that I’m felling you not to have an amino, bit at all as I understand completely the need to know.
It is just bizarre that your Dr who just did the screening is ignoring your NIPt which seems really odd and it’s not impossible that they forgot you had one or haven’t got the results.

Edited by Future-self, 03 December 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#19 MwahMum

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

Got it. Understand your question,  but don't have the results with me. Will check this evening after work.

I think important for me to stress here that GP has been very clear I'm low risk, and is responding more to my anxiety/desire to test where available.

Also, I understand that NIPS is a screening test, not diagnostic. Whereas amnio is definitive.

#20 Future-self

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:36 AM

edited. I decided I wasn’t being helpful :)
Wishing you well OP, now that the idea has been planted in your head of your risk profile, I can understand how you won’t be able to shake it and would want the amino

Edited by Future-self, 03 December 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#21 MwahMum

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the time youve taken to respind F-S. I appreciate it.

I am talking to my pregnancy care clinic today and will need to have a more thorough chat with them.

Thanks again x

#22 suline

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:09 AM

Goodluck with your amino. I had a CVS for very similar risk results, having accurate results alleviated a great deal of anxiety for me xxx

#23 Demera

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:11 AM

I think if the amnio is really your own decision that you've pushed for your own reasons, that is fine.  It's just an odd thing for a doctor to push on you given the risks.  

I personally would not consider an amnio after good NIPT results, which I chose to have due to my age during pregnancies (38 and 40). Even when an amnio was suggested, I chose to wait for a scan instead and my doctor fully supported that decision.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostDemera, on 03 December 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think if the amnio is really your own decision that you've pushed for your own reasons, that is fine.  It's just an odd thing for a doctor to push on you given the risks.  

I personally would not consider an amnio after good NIPT results, which I chose to have due to my age during pregnancies (38 and 40). Even when an amnio was suggested, I chose to wait for a scan instead and my doctor fully supported that decision.

The updates show that the doctor's not 'pushing' it though, they're accommodating the OP's view of the situation.

I think everyone's circumstances are so different it's difficult to know what we'd do in the circumstances.

I had CVS as it was before newer tests (she's now 27), as I was 38.  I decided on the earlier one as we got pregnant the first month we tried, although the chances of only having one were very high.  If it had taken ages, I might have gone for amnio.  If it had been a third child, I might not have had any testing at all.

#25 wallofdodo

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:00 AM

edit out misinformation

Edited by wallofdodo, 03 December 2018 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.