When to move and how to approach current daycare

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

I’m thinking of moving my girls from their current daycare but also worrying I am overreacting. They’ve been there since April, having left a centre we were pretty happy with because the commute was killing us.

At the current one, which only opened a few weeks before we started the staffing has been in constant flux. In the 2 year old room there is one cared who has been there the whole time and is mostly great but the others keep changing. The preschool room has not had a degree educated teacher for a few months and there has been no communication about what they intend to do. Since the last one left they’ve also already churned through 2 different carers (there’s only 1 because they’ve been slow to get older kids).

The other day I picked my girls up and there was a woman looking after them who I’d never seen before who had no idea they were sisters (they are all big talkers). Another, who has been there for a couple of months told me she tells my twins apart by what pants they’re wearing. They’re not identical, they are both little blond girls but it’s a totally different blond, and one has dark brown eyes and the other bright blue eyes, and their faces are totally different shapes. She spends 9 hours a day with them twice a week and she’s clearly never looked at their faces. She was amazed when I pointed out the eye colour difference

Anyway the oldest starts preschool at the public school next year and is leaving anyway. But my twins are stuck there and due to move into the 3+ room in less than 6 months.

Meanwhile the centre next door has space for them on the days I want starting the same day as school next year. do I move them? What do I say to our current centre?

#2 Flaxen

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:07 PM

Move them.

Tell them exactly what you have written here. Management need to know why they are losing clients and so hopefully improve things for the kids still there.

#3 Ruby red shoes

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

I would definitely move them.

I used to work in the industry and have always said that if staff don't want to stay long that it is a big alarm bell.

I would give the centre honest feedback as to why you're moving on.

#4 blimkybill

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

Move them. Poor quality childcare is not good for kids, and there is a huge quality difference among centres.

#5 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:39 PM

Thanks, that’s what I thought :-/ we are going to see the other centre this afternoon. No point moving if it isn’t better. I have a good feeling about it though. It’s been there for years so won’t be suffering from teething issues, it’s a NFP like our old centre and also claims to have higher than mandated carer ratios, which will be a novelty given the number of times I have found too few adults with the 2 year olds too many times

#6 Drat

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:47 PM

Move for sure.

My daughters daycare knows her almost as well as I do. Good quality childcare is so important and you want a place that will value and love your kids.

#7 Renovators delight

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Move them.

The centre my children are attending was like that for the first 12 months they were open. Multiple directors, no qualified kindy teacher etc.

We had left a great (but expensive) centre for this one which was walking distance from home.

However, they were only going one day a week and I was happy enough that they were being looked after, even if it wasn't the best.

This year they have been going two days a week, but there has been one director who has been great, they have a kindy teacher that my 5yo loves to death, and generally the staff in each room seem more stable.

I was happy enough to stick with it since the convenience factor and the improvement in service this year, but if you have another equally convenient place I would just change.

Simply tell them that you are moving because it suits your family better. No need to go into why if it will make you uncomfortable.

#8 tenar

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

Just on the telling kids apart thing, if that carer has face-blindness like me she may genuinely not be able to tell them apart by looking at their faces.
https://en.wikipedia...i/Prosopagnosia

I am a teacher and use cues such as hairstyle and where a student is sitting to help me put the right name to the right kid: this can be true even after I have taught them for months.  It doesn't mean, strangely enough, that I don't know who they are, just that I can't put the name to the face.  I will remember what we last discussed, what they needed help with in their learning, what they told me about their weekend: all the usual stuff and that in detail, even when I keep calling them by the wrong name by mistake.

My students do learn to be nice with me about that, as they realise it doesn't actually mean I don't know who they are.

(I also can't recognise famous people like actors I've seen in lots of movies, and characters on TV lose me when they change their clothes: DH is forever telling me who someone is)

#9 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

View Posttenar, on 30 November 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

Just on the telling kids apart thing, if that carer has face-blindness like me she may genuinely not be able to tell them apart by looking at their faces.
https://en.wikipedia...i/Prosopagnosia

I am a teacher and use cues such as hairstyle and where a student is sitting to help me put the right name to the right kid: this can be true even after I have taught them for months.  It doesn't mean, strangely enough, that I don't know who they are, just that I can't put the name to the face.  I will remember what we last discussed, what they needed help with in their learning, what they told me about their weekend: all the usual stuff and that in detail, even when I keep calling them by the wrong name by mistake.

My students do learn to be nice with me about that, as they realise it doesn't actually mean I don't know who they are.

(I also can't recognise famous people like actors I've seen in lots of movies, and characters on TV lose me when they change their clothes: DH is forever telling me who someone is)

I would argue with this kind of disability daycare would not be a great choice for work. The kids you teach sound old enough to be old enough to be able to tell you their name and bold enough too. 2 year olds cannot always tell you who they are even if they can they might not.

Also this makes me pleased I gave 1 a fringe and not the other

Edited by Lallalla, 30 November 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#10 tenar

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostLallalla, on 30 November 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I would argue with this kind of disability daycare would not be a great choice for work. The kids you teach sound old enough to be old enough to be able to tell you their name and bold enough too. 2 year olds cannot always tell you who they are even if they can they might not.

Also this makes me pleased I gave 1 a fringe and not the other

But the carer told you she was telling them apart by their clothing.  Which would work fine (funnily enough that doesn't help me: school uniform where I teach).   Doesn't mean she wasn't telling them apart, just that (maybe) faces don't work for her for that.  If her brain doesn't process faces well then she won't be noticing their eye colour, she'll be using other cues, as I do. It also doesn't mean that she doesn't make eye contact with them or read their faces for other cues all the time (I do all that), just that this is not how she recognises them.

In any case you have a bunch of other justifiable worries so yes I think you should probably move your kids to a daycare you are happier with.  Good luck!

#11 Fresh Start

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

My kids never went to daycare so I can’t help there but if you do move them make sure they attend all booked days until the end of the notice period.

If a child has absences recorded after the last day they physically attended child care there is no CCS eligibility for those absences.

I’ve seen quite a few people get full fee bills because they gave their 2 weeks notice and didn’t go back to the centre.

#12 Mollyksy

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Move them. Like a PP said, good careers quickly get to know kids quirks. Ours have been so cluey with DS. He starts school next year and today asked if he could visit daycare on Thursdays and Fridays every week after he starts school as he will miss them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.