Do vegetables that are really fruit count towards your fruit or vegetable count?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

Do tomato’s, cucumbers and other “vegetables” that are actually fruit count towards your serves of fruit or vegetable?

I know I’m overthinking it .... but tomato paste on pizza counts as a vegetable right?

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

Tomato paste is absolutely a vegetable...

#3 MooGuru

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

Damn straight it is. I wouldn't want to be lying when I respond to that looking after yourself thread later about eating my vegies each day.

#4 la di dah

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

Counting cucumbers as a fruit is just too annoying to consider.

#5 lazycritter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

I count tomatoes and cucumber and pumpkin as fruit otherwise I would barely eat traditionally sweet fruit.

#6 lazycritter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

Also tomato paste is concentrated so you're getting and extra serving in there too....

#7 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

I am having grapes right now that have to count.

Liquid form

#8 kimasa

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

According to my dietician, yes to the first, "No Kimasa, no" to the second.

#9 WaitForMe

Posted 17 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Well, I’m low carb and in that vein they count as veg. In fact strawberries count as a mod carb veg too!

But tbh I think as long as you have 7 fruit or veg a day you are doing fine. Most have much less.

#10 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

Hahahaha best question - always wondered this :D

Tomato paste is very good for you - high in lycopene.

#11 AsperHacker

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:47 AM

I count vodka as a vegetable. It's made from potatoes.

#12 Sincerely

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 17 December 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Well, I’m low carb and in that vein they count as veg. In fact strawberries count as a mod carb veg too!

But tbh I think as long as you have 7 fruit or veg a day you are doing fine. Most have much less.

A colleague & I aim to eat from 30 different plants a day Although we rarely achieve this, it does help us stay aware to eat more healthily. We would eat one or two nuts of each type from a mixed nut bag (5-6 plants), add mixed herbs to our meals (4-5 plants), eat a couple of handful of leaves from a mixed salad bag (4-5 plants), and also count coffee, cocoa & soy in beverages as 3 plants. That's 16-19 already. Unhealthy things like potato chips do count, but it only counts as one. By the time I've eaten from over 20 plants, I'm usually too full to eat a lot of unhealthy snacks, so it's a good eating strategy.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:45 PM

View PostSincerely, on 25 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

A colleague & I aim to eat from 30 different plants a day Although we rarely achieve this, it does help us stay aware to eat more healthily. We would eat one or two nuts of each type from a mixed nut bag (5-6 plants), add mixed herbs to our meals (4-5 plants), eat a couple of handful of leaves from a mixed salad bag (4-5 plants), and also count coffee, cocoa & soy in beverages as 3 plants. That's 16-19 already. Unhealthy things like potato chips do count, but it only counts as one. By the time I've eaten from over 20 plants, I'm usually too full to eat a lot of unhealthy snacks, so it's a good eating strategy.

I mean 7 servings rather than types, where a serving is half a cup cooked, one cup uncooked.

But yeah variety helps too, after all it is the spice of life 😀

#14 Sincerely

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 26 December 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

I mean 7 servings rather than types, where a serving is half a cup cooked, one cup uncooked.

But yeah variety helps too, after all it is the spice of life

There's been a lot of interest in pre-probiotics. Our thought is that rather than focusing on specific foods, increasing the variety of natural foods in diet promotes variety of the gut micro-biome and hence good health.

#15 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

View PostSincerely, on 25 December 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Im not that dilligent but I always try to eat something from  salad, green veggies, orange veggies and white veggies every day and a couple of types of fruit.
I try to have a couple of different types of grains, and a couple of different types of protein too.

I like your idea, I might give it a try :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.