Does a Maclaren take more weight than cheaper double umbrella?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lallalla

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:03 AM

Our cheap double umbrella stroller (I think it’s from Target originally, got it second hand) has been great since we started only occasionally needing a stroller. But I am finding as the girls get heavier (they’re 2.5 and 12ish kg)  it isn’t coping. It’s increasingly hard to turn corners, especially when my 16kg 4 year old decides she wants a turn in it.

There is a 2nd hand maclaren for sale for $50 here. I’m wondering if it’s worth a try noting I don’t know how much longer we’ll be using it.

Edited by Lallalla, 02 December 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#2 Grrrumbles

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

My Maclaren single stroller was great to steer so its worth a try. The Maclaren’s fell out of favour after some of them had finger entrapment issues but they are a well designed pram (apart from that).

#3 ksds

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

My son is 3 and 18kg (over 1m tall), he still fits in our McLaren when we need him to and I can easily push and steer it with one hand...

#4 Nanns

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:15 PM

I loved our twin Maclaren.

One of our best purchases.

#5 ~elle~

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:20 AM

Loved my double McLaren for my toddler and the new baby. It was fantastic. Boy my boys were pretty solid and I had no trouble managing it.

#6 Orangecake

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:39 AM

I think ours is rated up to 25 kg. Oldest would have been at least 20 kg when having the occasional ride without issue.

#7 redchick

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

My boys are tweens now and I still remember how much I loved our twin Maclaren (we had the techno but I don’t know what they are called now). I think we were still using it until the boys were about 3 1/2 (though it was tough for me to push then as they were pretty heavy).

Sounds like a good price and likely you’ll also be able to sell it when you’re done.

#8 kadoodle

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Mine took my eldest (6yo with SN) and baby sister with no issues. My kids have all grown out of strollers, but the McLaren is still going strong for my cousin and her 2yo twins.

Watch the brakes, though, as they’re easy to damage if you’re a bit rough with them.

#9 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:12 PM

Maclarens are brilliant.  I had a single Vogue that was rated to 25kg iirc. Also the handles are higher than a cheap stroller. I often see cheap strollers that are too short and think they must be awful to push.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 11 December 2018 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.