Foreskin Management 101

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Felix101

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:09 PM

Ok, i'm officially out of my depth.

6yo DS complained of a sore penis this morning - which happens occasionally, and i'm all fine with managing it. However, when putting some cream on, i noticed that his foreskin is now retracting. It hasn't before.

I'm aware that i need to teach him to clean it. But i have NO IDEA!
Can anyone please talk me through it, or link me to a good youtube video i can show him, or something - anything!

Also, his dad (we're not together) can't help as a) he's not really around, and b) he doesn't have a foreskin and told me many times in the early days that he would have no idea what to do with one.

HELP!

Please and thank you! :)

Felix

Edited by Felix101, 04 December 2018 - 04:09 PM.

#2 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

All I've ever said to my two boys is to pull it back and wash it with just water in the shower. I didn't tell them to do this until they had worked out themselves that they could retract it.
They really don't do much, they just pull the skin back and pretty much just swish it 😂 That is all DH does, who also has his foreskin.

#3 AdelTwins

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

He should gently retract it. Do not force it - it should not hurt. Then rinse in the shower/bath with plain water. It will continue to retract further, over time, as he plays with it.

#4 Dadto2

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

View Posthotsonfornowhere, on 04 December 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

All I've ever said to my two boys is to pull it back and wash it with just water in the shower. I didn't tell them to do this until they had worked out themselves that they could retract it.
They really don't do much, they just pull the skin back and pretty much just swish it That is all DH does, who also has his foreskin.

Yup this.

#5 Felix101

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Gosh - that's far less complex that i'd somehow conjured in my head... haha

thanks team!

#6 Madame Zon

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

Also, in my experience, paw paw ointment fixes anything a bit sore. Don't put it anywhere "inside" though.

#7 Lou-bags

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

My DS1 was shown by a little girl at daycare how his foreskin can retract. That was an interesting conversation.
Me: what do you mean? She told you and you showed her?
DS1: no mummy, she did it for me.
Me: ........
DS1: it’s ok mummy, I said she could.

Consent matters....

Anyway, I just remind him to pull it back and clean gently in the bath. So far it’s been fine.

#8 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 04 December 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

My DS1 was shown by a little girl at daycare how his foreskin can retract. That was an interesting conversation.
Me: what do you mean? She told you and you showed her?
DS1: no mummy, she did it for me.
Me: ........
DS1: it’s ok mummy, I said she could.

Consent matters....

Anyway, I just remind him to pull it back and clean gently in the bath. So far it’s been fine.

😂
I remember when DS2 realised he was able to retract his foreskin. DS1 wanted me to video call DH (who was away at work) because they were so happy/proud...and then DS2 kept forgetting what to do...and kept trying to make me do :lol:

#9 seayork2002

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 04 December 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

He should gently retract it. Do not force it - it should not hurt. Then rinse in the shower/bath with plain water. It will continue to retract further, over time, as he plays with it.

This, but DS was complaining badly so took him to the doctors and he had cream for a fews days but once it cleared the above is all he had needed since

#10 AdelTwins

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

^^^
Occasionally, some boys have a tight foreskin and your GP can give you a script and instructions for steroid cream to help.

#11 Chazonator

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

Adeltwins my son has that problem and he's 6 1/2
We've tried the steriod cream with little success not sure what the next step would be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.