How common is it to change schools?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 LucyGoose

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:43 PM

At my kids school,  private primary school,   We have 8 children leaving in my daughters year level,  of about 65 kids.  None are moving house.  This is going into grade 4.

This seems like a huge number to me.  The ones I know are moving for various reasons,  and I’m sure cost is a factor for some.

For those that are teachers or have any idea of movement at your school,  would that concern you? Does it seem like a large number,  or is movement between schools common?

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

I know there’s a catholic school near us that loses a lot of children at grade 4. This is the age when lots of the boys go off to the junior school where they will go for high school, so if there aren’t many left, sometimes the parents choose to move their boys to public schools that have a better balance.

Or it could be other issues with the school, including finances.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

Depends on the school. Some schools have huge transience. Usually in public schools it's from moving house. The students we get from private schools seem to come because the families are dissatisfied with the private school they have been going to. We don't get a lot moving from private schools though. 1 or 2 a year maybe. 8 seems like a lot to me and I have only ever worked in schools with high transience.

#4 mayahlb

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

Depends on where you live and what type of school it is.

The school my kids go to has a huge transient postulation. It isn’t uncommon for 25% student population to change in a year. I’ll put it this way. Youngest kids class has lost 3 students and gained 2 new ones. Oldest kids class has lost 5 and gained 6.

The principal said in his speech that 5 years ago they were averaging a change over of around 200 students leaving and starting within the year. It’s jot as bad now but still every class loses at least 1-2 students and gains a student here or there.

#5 AsperHacker

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

For me, it's a reflection of our principal. Public primary with kids dropping like flies. Teachers are also taking positions elsewhere as soon as they can.

Regular location, cost, specific needs changes isnt an issue for me. But, our total enrollments are going down and I know it's because of our principal.

Random but known reasons that arent to do with something that will affect my kids... meh.

Edited by AsperHacker, 04 December 2018 - 11:23 PM.

#6 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:02 AM

Has the principal changed? Or the direction the school is heading?

It could be finances. It could be going to a school that's feeding into the desired high school. It could be parents realising the current school isn't right for them.

If you are happy with the school then I wouldn't worry about it.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:20 AM

We’ve had a lot of movement this year.  Class of 20. Have lost 5 gained 4. Mostly moving house.

#8 Drat

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:31 AM

Yep it's much more common now.

I think parents are much more 'fussy' about their kids education now, so if they aren't happy then they will move them.

In my quite small year 10 music class we had 3 new kids in the space of a few weeks. 5 all up in the year.

2 of them came from another local selective school that they were dissatisfied with, one moved and two were from another local private school.

We seem to get quite a lot from the local private school. People assume it's better because it's private and they have to pay, and then realise fairly quickly that there's lots of kids with behavioural issues and very little emphasis on sports or performing arts. I reckon we probably got 10 this year from that school including one yesterday and there another one starting next week!

#9 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:32 AM

We have a lot of renters near the school so there are kids coming and going all the time

#10 sarahec

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

In my son’s kindy class of 20 there’s been about 3 out and 4 in. (Local public)

#11 Jenflea

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:07 PM

DD's year 1/2 class has lost one and gained 2, and there are 5 other classes so I'm sure the numbers are higher. That was part way through the year, i wouldn't even know how many changed over the Christmas break, you lose track of kids when there are so many.

#12 Prancer is coming

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

There is a bit of movement at our school.

We have a refuge in our catchment area, so plenty of people coming and going.  Until recently, we have not had a stable principal for years, so I think that has impacted on the school and why people have moved.  We also have a particularly dodgy teacher who it seems is hard to move on, so that class always seems to lose multiple students. The students we gain from private are generally unhappy with their school hence the change.

This is a public school though.  I would be concerned if a private school was losing a lot of students.  As you said, they are not moving house, so there is something about the school.  I would assume they knew the fees beforehand, so whilst some people’s financials may have changed, I imagine others deem it is not worth it.  I think when you pay for a service , you probably have more expectations and more likely to shop around?  I have heard friends at private schools decide to pursue things with the rational - ‘I wasn’t going to worry about it, but I pay the fees’.  Some people may not like conflict, so easier to move than try and resolve things at the school.  Others may see the school environment as being the issue when it may actually be the child (eg issues like anxiety that don’t necessarily change by moving).

#13 annodam

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

How does one find out who's coming or going?

Or am I the only one that either has NFI or doesn't GAF?

#14 Riotproof

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

View Postannodam, on 05 December 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

It’s your sunny disposition.

I know someone is leaving our school because a new public school is opening closer to her home. She told me because we are friendly.

Ds always knows who in his class is not returning the next year. I gather they discuss with each other.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

Personally I would have no idea but our principal keeps us informed at each P&C, numbers not their personal details!

#16 rainne

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

I don't know about numbers, but it's not uncommon for our public school to get kids transferring from privates. From chatting to a couple of mums who made that decision, it wasn't cost (although I guess they probably wouldn't say if it was) so much as general dissatisfaction/feeling like it wasn't a good fit/not liking the ethos. And our school has a reputation for being good with kids who have additional needs. Which would be lovely, if we also had a reputation for getting any funding to help with that, but I digress.

It's also the case, I guess, that private schools have more capacity to 'strongly suggest' to parents that their kids might be happier elsewhere? Anecdotally, it seems to be the case more often than not that kids who transfer over from privates in the same area are quite disruptive kids. Not all of them of course, but enough.

(ETA: I just mean at our school, the kids who transfer in are often disruptive! Not that I have wider data on this)

Edited by rainne, 05 December 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#17 Prancer is coming

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

My kids are in primary school.  When they have a new kid in the class, it is usually something they mention.  Same with when someone leaves, as they often have a party, make a card or make some generally comment about Harry has not been at school for weeks and no one is sure where he is and if he is coming back!

#18 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:29 PM

We are thinking about moving schools.  The level of education has dropped, there is zero structure, no accountability, no responsibility on the principal, or teacher's and a whole load of excuses given with no substance.

#19 annodam

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have one going into Yr 12 & another into Yr 4 next year, so I have been in the system a while now.
My kids are now on school holidays but I have never heard either of them mention a "class farewell party" for a student who is leaving.
They probably have mentioned newbies over the years but can't recall off the top of my head when that would've been.
The one thig I do know about 2019, is DD needs to have her novels sorted for holiday Homework 'cause quite frankly that's all I care about right now, not who's coming & going in the Jnr school, which for the most part is none of my business anyway!

#20 Nobodyelse

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

DS's primary school lost nearly 20% of his year level cohorts at the end of last year. Including my DS who I moved to a school less than a km away. The majority, including ourselves, were unhappy with the constantly changing principal (three in three years) and unapproachable teaching staff.

#21 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:38 PM

We are some of those statistics this year hehe. We left in week 5 of the term because we were building a house in a completely different area. We toyed with the idea of commuting but 40 minutes was too much.

But in saying that, our old school was one where the only really big drops were around grade 5 where kids went off to private schools. Not particularly transient.

Our new school is in an area where there's lots of defence families so lots of movement for those families - there's an entire support unit dedicated to those students.

#22 mayahlb

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

Yeah we have a number of defense families and also a lot of police families. They get sent up here for 2-5 years are as a requirement of their service. I know at least 4 families of police officers who are leaving at the end of this year. We get a number of new kids whose parents are replacing these families that are moving.

Also friends have a number of kids in their school who leave in yr 5 for a private school intake. And it isn't that I pay attention, it's just mentioned by the kids or at this time of year when the kids request a list of their classmates so they can write xmas cards and names are added or crossed off.

#23 schwatzen

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Kids are leaving my DD's school in droves it seems. Even though it's a public school it's very different to most. Very open plan with a lot put on the child to be responsible for themselves. Which is fine if they're an independent learner, not so if they need more coddling and structure. I can see why parents are pulling their kids out. While it's fine for my DD if i was that age again i'd need something with more structure also.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:35 AM

I wouldn't have left our state primary if it hadn't been for the principal.  He retired a few years later, and the whole ethos of the school changed for the better.

I didn't realise it was him, and his attitudes filtering down, that were the real cause of the problem.

#25 Kreme

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:41 AM

I think that’s a pretty high number. If nobody has moved house then they are not satisfied.

My kids’ school has 100-120 in a year group. They lose half a dozen or so per year but the vast majority are people who are relocating.

When we changed schools 4 years ago it was due to dissatisfaction with the education that was being provided and the resistance of school leadership to cater for some children adequately.

ETA: our previous school loses a lot of kids to private schools in year 5, and they attribute it to demographics, but a big cause of it is actually dissatisfaction. The vast majority of people I know had intended to move them to private in yr 7 but brought it forward when they weren’t happy with their child’s progress.

Edited by Kreme, 06 December 2018 - 10:44 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 2 anonymous users

LittleMissPink

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.