For those of you with pod / capsule coffee machines...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 PumpkinSpice

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

Nespresso has a deal at the moment, that if you get a 12-month coffee subscription ($40/month which is credit for buying coffee capsules), you pay $1 for the Nespresso machine.

So, my question is, if you have a Nespresso machine, do you always or mostly use Nespresso capsules? Or do you get something cheaper? Is the Nespresso coffee significantly better than other brands?

My other option is to just buy a machine and then I can get any capsules I want.

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

Buy an aeropress instead! Much cheaper, environmentally friendly, takes up no bench space, can take it travelling, and the coffee is way better! I bought one recently and it’s pretty much the best thing ever.

Sorry for the diversion (but do think about it)

#3 EmmDasher

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:32 AM

When we had one we used only nespresso pods, pretty much because I was too lazy to try new things and figure out the other brand equivalent of what I liked. Nespresso is probably hoping that after 12 months you’ve become a bit lazy and brand loyal and disinclined to switch to a cheaper alternative.

#4 ECsMum

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

I only buy L'Or from the supermarket and only on special $4.50 for 10 capsules.

#5 Hands Up

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

I used to before I found capsule genies (online only) who are less than half the price. Saying that depending on how much coffee you drink it could be a good deal for the first 12 months.

#6 Nobodyelse

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

I prefer the Nespresso brand ones as I find 3rd party versions pull too fast and the coffee ends up a bit watery. I also prefer them because I can use the Nespresso recycling service. $3 for a pre-paid post bag that holds a few months worth of pods (I only use one a day) that I just dump in a red box when it is full. No landfill.

#7 Holidayromp

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

I thought pods and capsules are out with the ark.
The amount of times I see them marked down.
It’s a terrific waste of resources.
There are plenty much better ways to drink coffee.

#8 can'tstayaway

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

I like our pod machine because I’m not a regular coffee drinker and the pods stay fresh. It’s convenient for drop ins etc.

DH uses a proper machine and buys fresh beans almost daily when he drinks coffee. We have an aero press for camping and we’re really impressed with how good the coffee is.

#9 AdelTwins

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

A vote for https://www.republicaorganic.com.au

Biodegradable pods, organic coffee.

#10 purplekitty

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

I used Nespresso capsules for years and then tried a few bespoke brands.
Now I use a  Lavazzo one and a Woolworths Decaf.

When travelling we use a manual NanoPresso.

#11 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:39 PM

I use these guys. Fast delivery and we love their chocolate pods also.

https://expresspods.com.au/

#12 PumpkinSpice

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 05 December 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Buy an aeropress instead! Much cheaper, environmentally friendly, takes up no bench space, can take it travelling, and the coffee is way better! I bought one recently and it’s pretty much the best thing ever.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m all for more environmentally friendly options.

#13 PumpkinSpice

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 05 December 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

I thought pods and capsules are out with the ark.
The amount of times I see them marked down.
It’s a terrific waste of resources.
There are plenty much better ways to drink coffee.

Actually I agree... it’s just something we’re considering for the convenience as we are having twins in jan and hubby’s mother, aunt and cousin are coming to live with us.

#14 Lunafreya

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

I get the Nespresso pods and recycle them. The coffee is quite good and the bag can last for ages before you drop it in.

#15 Hey what.@

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

View PostECsMum, on 05 December 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

I only buy L'Or from the supermarket and only on special $4.50 for 10 capsules.

Same here. I like the intensity 12.

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

I found the pod machine invaluable with babies. So low maintenance. I figured that I had the rest of my life to be environmentally friendly but for those 3-4 years with infants/toddlers I just wanted easy coffee stat.

#17 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostPumpkinSpice, on 05 December 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Actually I agree... it’s just something we’re considering for the convenience as we are having twins in jan and hubby’s mother, aunt and cousin are coming to live with us.

😱 I hope those relatives are the really really helpful sort who cook and clean and change nappies! With that many adults (if they all drink coffee), you are possibly best off with a capsule machine to make sure everyone is comfortable using it and to minimise clean up.

Good luck with the twins!

#18 PumpkinSpice

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 05 December 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I hope those relatives are the really really helpful sort who cook and clean and change nappies! With that many adults (if they all drink coffee), you are possibly best off with a capsule machine to make sure everyone is comfortable using it and to minimise clean up.

Good luck with the twins!

Yep, they all drink coffee, and I know one of them will probably do the lion’s share of cooking and cleaning.

#19 daisy007

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 05 December 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

I read this as buy an aeroplane! Reread it several times trying to work out how the hell an aeroplane is anything like a coffee machine.

Anyway I love the Nespresso capsules and use only them, I buy the recycle bags and drop them into a local nursery once full. I think for your circumstances it would be perfect, good luck with your twins!

#20 IkeaAddict

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

I have a Nespresso machines and prefer the Nespresso pods over generic pods. That said, I do like the Baileys flavoured generi pods but the others are meh. DS and DP like hot chocolate made with generic hot choc pods

#21 dadwasathome

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

Our espresso machine can also use the three major types of capsules. DSalmost11 uses it to make coffee for his grandfather.

It still tastes like old coffee, so it’s not used otherwise. FP uses a plunger if I’m not there for espresso.

#22 can'tstayaway

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

View PostPumpkinSpice, on 05 December 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

I agree that they are great for the convenience. I found it easier to make a pod coffee than a cup of tea some days.

#23 eachschoolholidays

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostNobodyelse, on 05 December 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

I prefer the Nespresso brand ones as I find 3rd party versions pull too fast and the coffee ends up a bit watery. I also prefer them because I can use the Nespresso recycling service. $3 for a pre-paid post bag that holds a few months worth of pods (I only use one a day) that I just dump in a red box when it is full. No landfill.

This is us too.

#24 darcswan

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:10 PM

View PostPumpkinSpice, on 05 December 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Nespresso has a deal at the moment, that if you get a 12-month coffee subscription ($40/month which is credit for buying coffee capsules), you pay $1 for the Nespresso machine.

So, you can get a machine for $100, and pods are around 70c each. So do the math before committing - you want to be drinking Nespresso every day for it to stack up.

I have a Nespresso for weekend coffee and I’ve found the Nespresso pods the best. I’ve only tried the Vittoria and another independent that’s since gone out of business.

I find filter coffee doesn’t give me a rich flavour, so the aero press is disappointing and too fussy. A French press is gritty.

IMO The best home alternative to a full machine is the Atomic, because you get  better pressure extracting more flavour. It’s just too slow for me and my quick weekend coffee fix!

#25 JBH

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

If you are looking for convenience but will be making lots of coffees, consider an automatic like Delonghi. You put the beans in the top from time to time, it does all the coffee making and collects the grounds in a receptacle, just like a pod machine without the pods. They cost more to buy but the costs of running them are much lower. If you have five coffee drinkers in the house the pod cost will add up, and this way you aren’t creating the same level of waste.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.