E readers - which one?

7 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

My old kindle has died, and I need a new E-reader for christmas. My kindle was great, but I didn't like that I can't seem to borrow from the library with it. Should I get a kobo instead? I would be both borrowing and buying books, and lightweight is a priority. Recommendations please EBers :)

#2 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

We own two Kobos. No complaints from me! I chose Kobo so we could borrow for free.  It was a bit fiddly to put library books on it originally ( needed a pc to download book,  then use Adobe Acrobat to save then move to the Kobo). The current models can download books using wifi so are simpler to use.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

Kindle - for me personally there is no contest to be had (I better add I buy all my books through amazon so it is easy for me)

Edited by seayork2002, 05 December 2018 - 12:25 PM.

#4 40+

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:32 PM

Oh, I'm in the market too OP! Saved me asking lol

#5 *Marty*

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

I'm happy with my kobo aqua - I can read in the bath

#6 peachkoala

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

New kobos have the overdrive app built in!! Download directly to your kobo. I have a kobo Clara hd waiting for me for Christmas. It is replacing my current kobo.

I also have an old kindle, which I barely use. I mostly borrow books from library and it is fiddly to put on my current kobo.  Which is why I am replacing it.

#7 StartledFlamingo

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

I just got the Clara HD to replace an ancient Sony Ereader. I borrow books, get given digital books and get put of copyright ones free.

You can join multiple libraries then borrow online, to increase your selection.

I like the light in the screen and it being lightweight and small. I've never had a Kindle, I don't like being tied in to their store only.

#8 IamzFeralz

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

I owned 3 Kobos before eventually getting a Kindle.  I still have a Kobo for library stuff.

If I had to pick one however, I would go the Kindle, as it has been more reliable.  My Kobos would freeze and need to be rebooted.  I had to take a couple back to the shop (Officeworks were brilliant at exchanging).  I did love them though.

Kindle books also seem to be somewhat cheaper on the whole when purchasing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.