Treadmill

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SMforshort

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:09 PM

I'd like to buy my teenage son a used treadmill for Christmas.  He is quite heavy and I have three teenage boys so am looking for something robust with different speed settings and maybe incline settings.  I have plenty of space so size isn't an issue.

I am so far outside my comfort zone, I have no idea where to start or what features are important.

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for and what to avoid?  Any recommended brands?  I'll be looking on ebay / gumtree.

#2 #YKG

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

Honestly my gym recently upgraded to treadmills and cardio equipment in general that have built in TV’s the have Netflix on them so you can watch TV or Netflix when doing your workout.

Treadmills can be pretty boring, so I’d be inclined to get one of those, but they do run a few grand to purchase.

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Hope it’s not rude to ask but- what are you buying your other sons? Are you only buying your heavy son a treadmill? Does he actually want it?
If it’s not what he wants I wouldn’t do it as a Christmas present
Another idea would be to hire one to start with. DH hired one for a few months and was really happy with the model so went on to buy it (looked for the same brand second hand)
Best of luck!

Edited by Ellie bean, 05 December 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#4 Serinitynow

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

What a mean Christmas present. Here you go fatty. Have a used treadmill.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostSerinitynow, on 06 December 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

What a mean Christmas present. Here you go fatty. Have a used treadmill.

Who said he was fat?  He might be a 6ft 6in rugby player.

#6 halcyondays

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:17 AM

No one asked you if you thought it was a good present. I would have loved a cross trainer or weights as a present - especially as a teenager.

Definitely go with hiring one first, you can then go on to buy if it suits your son.

#7 Serinitynow

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:31 AM

And were you a “quite heavy” teenager HC? And if you were do you think this would have been a present which would have made you feel worse?

#8 timtam92

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:56 AM

Does he want one? If not, you will probably do more damage than good. Hire one that you can use along with the whole family. Then there is no expectation on him from you.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

OP Choice did a review of treadmills Oct 17.  If you're not already a member, it's less than $20 for a three month online subscription.

Even if the brand you end up looking at isn't on there, the general advice about what to look for and how they test them is invaluable.

#10 Luci

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:10 AM

Did your DS ask for a treadmill for Christmas?  If you and your DS have never used one before then i would also look at hiring, to try it initially. That way you can get a new model, they deliver and install, and will take it away if you no longer want it.

I have done a lot of treadmill running at the gym. It is pretty hard work and can be extremely boring. 30 mins on the treadmill can seem like longest 30 mins of your life. There are a lot of dusty old treadmills sitting around that never get used after the initial burst of enthusiasm.

#11 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

I'm not going to get in to the discussion of whether you should be buying one.  :)
When I was looking at a treadmill I was considering either Lifespan, Proform or Nordictrack. Lifespan is much cheaper than the other two. I didn't end up buying one. DH bought a rowing machine which is currently not getting used as he hurt his shoulder. ;)

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 06 December 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#12 Dadto2

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

View PostLuci, on 06 December 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Did your DS ask for a treadmill for Christmas?  If you and your DS have never used one before then i would also look at hiring, to try it initially. That way you can get a new model, they deliver and install, and will take it away if you no longer want it.

I have done a lot of treadmill running at the gym. It is pretty hard work and can be extremely boring. 30 mins on the treadmill can seem like longest 30 mins of your life. There are a lot of dusty old treadmills sitting around that never get used after the initial burst of enthusiasm.

It depends on how you use the treadmill, just jumping on a treadmill and running at the same pace for 30mins staring at a wall would be boring as batsh*t. I have a TV on the wall and either have youtube music videos going or I use Zwift. Which is a cycling/running app, you can run/ride with other people round the world, do races, training programs etc Lots of different ways of using a treadmill, intervals, hill reports etc A lot of runners, triathletes use them

Posted Image

Edited by Dadto2, 06 December 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#13 Dadto2

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:30 AM

OP - I would like for a 2nd hand commercial one. There are a lot of gyms that sell them, but just be careful you don't pick one that's been flogged. You can normally tell just by looking at them i.e cosmetic wear and tear and the condition of the belt. Let me know what city you're in and I'll post up some examples from gumtree. The home ones are a lot cheaper but tend to not be as robust, don't have as many features and less power so less speed.

#14 Dadto2

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 06 December 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

Lifespan, Proform or Nordictrack.

Yup. Those are all good brands I've got a Lifespan.

#15 panda eyes

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

We have a lifespan too. It cost just under $1000 new. DH is about 90kg and over 6 foot and he finds it has a long enough belt for his height.

#16 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

I think a treadmill is a great family gift if you have teens that will use it.

I second getting a commercial one second hand, or a top of the line robust home use one off gumtree.

We have had ours for 15 years, and it has had it's time as an expensive clothes-hanger over the years, but DH and I use it regularly now, and miss 15 year old is starting to as well.

It was a mid-range one 15 years a go, and is starting to show its age - I wish we'd bought a heavier commercial one now.

#17 HamsterPower

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

I have a NordicTrack and it is great but I have been a runner for years. Look at the motor size and HP, and what you would use it for. Running usually needs a longer deck for example than walking . Also his height/ stride will impact the deck length .
Mine has lots of virtual runs using google earth but I also use my IPad to watch Tv if settling in for a longer run. Things like fans are good but a pedestal fan nearby is often more effective . Auto incline and easy speed changes plus a high maximum speed are important if running but otherwise less so

#18 Luci

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostDadto2, on 06 December 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

It depends on how you use the treadmill, just jumping on a treadmill and running at the same pace for 30mins staring at a wall would be boring as batsh*t. I have a TV on the wall and either have youtube music videos going or I use Zwift. Which is a cycling/running app, you can run/ride with other people round the world, do races, training programs etc Lots of different ways of using a treadmill, intervals, hill reports etc A lot of runners, triathletes use them

Posted Image

I have worked out with a PT 3 times a week for a few years so I am well aware of how a Treadmill works.

I doubt OP's son is a triathlete but you never know.

The only point I was making and perhaps I was not very clear was just that not everyone finds they enjoy using a treadmill. There are loads of different forms of exercise and exercise equipment and what suits one person might not suit someone else. In addition there is a lot of dusty un-used equipment hanging around in garages and spare bedrooms so I was just suggesting the OP consider trying a hired piece of equipment first to see if her DS likes it.

#19 maryanneK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:09 PM

I took the OP to mean that her son was literally heavy - ie big, tall, muscly, whatever- and that she therefore needed a sturdy, robust treadmill !

I didnt think she meant fat  - ah, the age of euphemisms.....no one has a clue what anyone is talking about....

I agree with the PPs though - hire one first and see if you like it/use it enough - and if you do, then invest in a good quality second hand one rather than a cheaper, newer one.

I liked treadmill running but I always did it in front of the tv at the gym and listened to music at the same time so I didnt get bored - so I dont think all the bells and whistles are that important.

#20 Dadto2

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

View PostLuci, on 06 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

The only point I was making and perhaps I was not very clear was just that not everyone finds they enjoy using a treadmill. There are loads of different forms of exercise and exercise equipment and what suits one person might not suit someone else. In addition there is a lot of dusty un-used equipment hanging around in garages and spare bedrooms so I was just suggesting the OP consider trying a hired piece of equipment first to see if her DS likes it.

Totally agree. They can be sh*t to use and lots and lots of dusty barely used treadmills sitting around. My mates wife uses hers for hanging washing! If you don't run already, buying a treadmill probably won't get you running long term, it will for some people, but most will buy one, quickly tire of it and then use it as a washing line.

Edited by Dadto2, 06 December 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

View PostmaryanneK, on 06 December 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I took the OP to mean that her son was literally heavy - ie big, tall, muscly, whatever- and that she therefore needed a sturdy, robust treadmill !

I didnt think she meant fat  - ah, the age of euphemisms.....no one has a clue what anyone is talking about....

I agree with the PPs though - hire one first and see if you like it/use it enough - and if you do, then invest in a good quality second hand one rather than a cheaper, newer one.

I liked treadmill running but I always did it in front of the tv at the gym and listened to music at the same time so I didnt get bored - so I dont think all the bells and whistles are that important.

I took the OP to mean needing a sturdy one too not 'he is fat'

I have heard about lifespan ones through work

#22 kim11

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

My 13 year old son has asked for a treadmill as well. He wants to work out but doesn't want to be seen at the gym. That's another issue I will tackle later. So I think a gift for the family with everyone starting a bit of walking or running is not a bad idea.

#23 bikingbubs

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

I have a proform and it is great.  I went for a higher end model, but without all the technology.  If I want to watch anything I just put my ipad there and saved $$$.

#24 SMforshort

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  Some very helpful advice.  

For those concerned about my son, this is his request.  I thought the fact that he was heavy was relevant to the sturdiness of the treadmill that will suit him best.  I can also tell you that he has brown hair, is super smart, messy, kind and loved - but didn't think that was relevant to the choice of a treadmill.

I'm in NW Sydney so will have a look for some second hand options online.  I can't afford new and a rental doesn't feel like a gift.

#25 Dadto2

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostSMforshort, on 06 December 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Some very helpful advice.  

For those concerned about my son, this is his request.  I thought the fact that he was heavy was relevant to the sturdiness of the treadmill that will suit him best.  I can also tell you that he has brown hair, is super smart, messy, kind and loved - but didn't think that was relevant to the choice of a treadmill.

I'm in NW Sydney so will have a look for some second hand options online.  I can't afford new and a rental doesn't feel like a gift.

yeah don't buy new. Post up any ads you see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.