Did you cure your PMS?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ERipley

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

How? Pill? Mirena? Agnus Castus/evening primrose oil? Iron/magnesium/b vitamins? Clean living?

My gynaecologist has recommended the pill for me (Diane) for this issue but I don’t want to do it. If you fixed awful PMS, how did you do it?

#2 ceeshell

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:12 AM

I responded in the other thread. I have diagnosed PMDD - severe PMS that is debilitating for two weeks of the month. I am severely depressed, enraged, anxious and often contemplating suicide in that time.

I have tried:
SSRIs: only for the luteal phase (this is a tried and tested method for treating PMDD) - worked a charm but stole my orgasms and would give me diarrhoea for the first five days of taking them every month.

ZOELY: didn’t work for me.

YAZ: also worked very well. I was in a brilliant mood! And so motivated! Added bonus was that it treated my endo symptoms, too. But I didn’t want to be touched by anyone. Even my children. Killed sex drive.

PREMULAR: this is agnus cactus. I took it for four months and it worked after two. It’s not perfect and the effect isn’t as dramatic as the nice, but the improvement is huge. I now only get a few days of tears and unreasonable behaviour. You’re supposed to be able to stop taking it once it’s working as the theory is that it evens out the hormones. I’m trying that now (before Christmas??? Not my most inspired move, I suspect). We’ll see.

The above was recommended by an endocrinologist/gynaecologist in Sydney. The bcps I tried are the only ones that have been trialed and proven for treatment of PMDD. I have been warned off trying any other pills/mittens or implants because they can be absolutely disastrous for people with severe PMS/PMDD. I suggest seeing a doctor that is VERY across the issue.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer questions.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:39 AM

Mine improved when I started exercising consistently & taking magnesium.

#4 ceeshell

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:51 AM

I forgot to mention exercising almost daily. Mix of running/gym/yoga with Adriene

#5 jovana

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:57 AM

I had severe PMS, lots of bleeding and anaemia as a result.
I had lots of bloating, depression, anger, forgetfulness, troubles sleeping, I would lose interest in everything for about 10 days, completely switch off. I would go to work, looking like a zombie, making stupid mistakes, not doing things properly etc.
Joint pain was terrible, few days before period I wasn't able to get out of the bed without painkillers.

I wasn't really diagnosed with PMDD but I think I did have it. It's gotten worse after birth of DD.

I've had Mirena for about 2 years now and I'm taking magnesium (not sure if that helps). But I think Mirena did reduce PMS symptoms up to 90% for me. I feel like different woman.

Good luck OP!
If you feel awful, don't be ashamed to ask for help. I suffered for so long thinking it's how us women should be.
I hope they'll find something that works for you.

#6 bees-knees

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

Magnesium made a huge difference for me.

I was really struggling, feeling absolutely RAGEY for up to ten days before my period. I was pretty skeptical when magnesium was suggested but figured I'd give it a go.

Most months, I feel a bit niggly for a few days before my period, but probably about one in four, I don't even have that.

#7 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:49 AM

B vitamins have worked for me. The artificial supplement pill didn't work but the natural food-based form did.

#8 Elfie34

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

What magnesium do you take bees-knees?

I am currently taking st johns wart but I keep forgetting to take it as it is supposed to be with every meal. I also have the 2 weeks from ovulation to period severe PMS.

I exercise a lot but that is not enough to stop the mood/ anxiety and depression that really seems hormonal.

#9 TobiasFLK

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:12 AM

The Mirena and estrogen tablets helped considerably.

The side effects are not as common as people would have you believe (according to my gyno).  I would seriously suggest trying the Mirena in particular. It is working wonderfully.

#10 Nasty Poobah

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

I read the title as curse, not cure -- so I came in to say I certainly did but it didn't really help...

The pill worked like magic though ::):

#11 Cimbom

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostTobiasFLK, on 06 December 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

The Mirena and estrogen tablets helped considerably.

The side effects are not as common as people would have you believe (according to my gyno).  I would seriously suggest trying the Mirena in particular. It is working wonderfully.

I actually think the side effects are very understated. The pharma lobby has done a great job of making women who complain about the side effects of the pill look like deranged loonies. I fully support reproductive freedom for women and their right to easily access contraceptives but there seems to definitely be a disconnect in terms of understanding of the impact it has on so many aspects of your health. I only fully realised this myself in the last couple of months after I stopped taking it after 15 years of use

#12 boatiebabe

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:57 AM

Having an endometrial ablation cured mine! Not exactly sure why.

#13 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

I've been taking Vitex for a while.  I started it for breast tenderness ( tenderness is an understatement- it's actually horrible). It has helped with that (with the bonus of my boobs got bigger!) I don't think it's helped with the pms though. I might look in to the Premular brand.

I've had an ablation and I think my pms is worse!

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 06 December 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#14 chicken_bits

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

My gyno has suggested acupuncture. Through a western trained doctor. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still taking zoely but I'll be going off it next year due to other side effects. If my PMS comes back I'll certainly be looking into it.

#15 bees-knees

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostElfie34, on 06 December 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

What magnesium do you take bees-knees?

Blackmores Bio magnesium - I just get it from the supermarket

#16 Glittery Fairy

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

Magnesium doesn’t do anything to change my severe PMT. plus it gives me diahorrea. i also am reluctant to try the mirena.

#17 ERipley

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

View Postceeshell, on 06 December 2018 - 06:12 AM, said:

I responded in the other thread. I have diagnosed PMDD - severe PMS that is debilitating for two weeks of the month. I am severely depressed, enraged, anxious and often contemplating suicide in that time.

I have tried:
SSRIs: only for the luteal phase (this is a tried and tested method for treating PMDD) - worked a charm but stole my orgasms and would give me diarrhoea for the first five days of taking them every month.

ZOELY: didn’t work for me.

YAZ: also worked very well. I was in a brilliant mood! And so motivated! Added bonus was that it treated my endo symptoms, too. But I didn’t want to be touched by anyone. Even my children. Killed sex drive.

PREMULAR: this is agnus cactus. I took it for four months and it worked after two. It’s not perfect and the effect isn’t as dramatic as the nice, but the improvement is huge. I now only get a few days of tears and unreasonable behaviour. You’re supposed to be able to stop taking it once it’s working as the theory is that it evens out the hormones. I’m trying that now (before Christmas??? Not my most inspired move, I suspect). We’ll see.

The above was recommended by an endocrinologist/gynaecologist in Sydney. The bcps I tried are the only ones that have been trialed and proven for treatment of PMDD. I have been warned off trying any other pills/mittens or implants because they can be absolutely disastrous for people with severe PMS/PMDD. I suggest seeing a doctor that is VERY across the issue.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer questions.

That’s very interesting about the Premular. When I went to the GP about 6 months ago about PMSshe suggested Agnus Castus but said I couldn’t get it from the chemist because the dose would never be strong enough so I would have to go to a naturopath. So I did that but she made me some huge concoction she was charging $220 per month for. It did work for the PMS but then the random bleeding started and didn’t stop so I stopped taking that. I meant to get plain old Agnus Castus from a different naturopath but never got around to it. And now I can just order this from chemist warehouse? 🤦🏻‍♀️

#18 ERipley

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:36 PM

And let me add, Ceeshell, you are dealing with so much. I can’t imagine how hard that must be. Thank you for taking the time to give me advice.

#19 ERipley

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

How much magnesium and b vitamins are people taking? I’m guessing Berocca won’t cut it?

#20 jovana

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

I take one 150mg tablet in the morning (Swisse brand). It's the citrate kind.
I have sluggish guts so it helps in that regard as well.
Powdered one gave me diarrhea but this one is just enough.

#21 ERipley

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

Jovana, is that magnesium?

#22 jovana

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostERipley, on 06 December 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

Jovana, is that magnesium?

Yes, sorry, it's magnesium.😊

#23 ceeshell

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

ERipley, on 06 December 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

That’s very interesting about the Premular. When I went to the GP about 6 months ago about PMSshe suggested Agnus Castus but said I couldn’t get it from the chemist because the dose would never be strong enough so I would have to go to a naturopath. So I did that but she made me some huge concoction she was charging $220 per month for. It did work for the PMS but then the random bleeding started and didn’t stop so I stopped taking that. I meant to get plain old Agnus Castus from a different naturopath but never got around to it. And now I can just order this from chemist warehouse? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yep. Premular has been clinically trialed in Europe for PMDD with good results. Definitely worth a try.

xx

#24 newmumandexcited

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

I tell you what made a huge difference to me - vitex chaste berry in the form of Premular.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 08 December 2018 - 04:39 AM.

#25 ERipley

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

I went to the chemist today and got Premular. And Horny Goat Weed. And Berocca. Now I’m taking those AND ferro grad C for iron. I didn’t have time to get the magnesium but it’s on the list. Ugh, still popping pills but if it manages the PMS and low libido I will be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.