Do you wash chicken?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 76 others

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:05 PM

I didn't even know it was a thing until I saw an online fluff poll!

It seems weird to wash chicken before cooking. Just chicken or all meats?

#2 raspberry sherbert

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:08 PM

Nope have never washed chicken in my life

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:08 PM

No! It’s not good food hygiene at all. The risk of washing chicken is spreading any pathogens present around the kitchen and sink (even if you’re very careful).

#4 MakesMeHappy

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:10 PM

I went through a stage of washing chicken breast because the juices were giving me a rash on my hands but I haven’t needed to do that it years.

I thought I was super weird to doing it!

#5 76 others

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 06 December 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

No! It’s not good food hygiene at all. The risk of washing chicken is spreading any pathogens present around the kitchen and sink (even if you’re very careful).

Oh yeah it was attached to an article with all the experts saying not to wash chicken and about spreading bacteria. The majority of comments were saying it was gross not to wash it and they were ignoring the article.

#6 ~J_F~

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

Not me..

I have heard of it before but I think its a bit weird honestly.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:00 AM

No. Have never washed chicken. Would have cooked more chicken than some EBers have had 'ot dinners and have never poisoned anyone yet.

#8 PocketGingerJingle

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

Is anyone else having serious jeja vu with this thread?!  

I'd never heard of washing chicken before the previous incarnation of this thread. The only meat I wash is silverside or occasionally prawns if I've peeled them myself.

Eta. I searched and found a chicken washing thread from 2017. Gosh time flies!

Edited by PocketGingerJingle, 07 December 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#9 Paddlepop

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

I've never washed chicken but I don't cook. DH does. He washes a whole chicken before roasting it but not pieces of chicken. I think his reason is that the whole chicken has gross bits on it that he wants to get rid of.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:43 AM

View PostPocketGingerJingle, on 07 December 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

Is anyone else having serious jeja vu with this thread?!  

I'd never heard of washing chicken before the previous incarnation of this thread. The only meat I wash is silverside or occasionally prawns if I've peeled them myself.

Eta. I searched and found a chicken washing thread from 2017. Gosh time flies!
I used to wash chicken until the 2017 thread!
I’m really not sure why I washed it. I still feel like I should and have to force myself not to (luckily I don’t often cook)

#11 SummerStar

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:09 AM

Never. I saw it once on one of those real housewives shows didn't even know it was a thing until that. Then we had a thread on here about it. Never have never will, don't see the need.

#12 PsySquirrel

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:42 AM

I live in the US and it seems to be very common here. Its often one of the steps in some recipes on blogs I've seen.

I don't because its terrible food hygiene

#13 redchick

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:43 AM

I don’t wash chicken but will pat dry a whole chicken (using paper towel) before roasting as it gets the skin crispier.

#14 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:38 AM

View Postredchick, on 07 December 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

I don’t wash chicken but will pat dry a whole chicken (using paper towel) before roasting as it gets the skin crispier.

yes i do this. and if i have time - take it out of the plastic, rest it on a paper towel in the fridge until i’m ready to cook it - as plastic makes the skin all sweaty and clammy. i don’t wash it.

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:41 AM

Nope. Don’t wash any meat.

As for hygiene though, I still wash all the juices off the chopping board, knife, recyclable meat try, and my hands into the sink, can’t see how that’s different to washing the chicken itself in the sink, either way you have to clean the sink afterwards.

#16 kimasa

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

No.

I've heard about it because I've done food safety supervisor training/refreshers and apparently it is very common and a very high cause of food poisoning.

Splash some bacteria around your empty sink, chuck a spoon in the empty sink an hour or so later, think "Oh actually, I can get one more spoonful out of my yoghurt tub or whatever" pick it up again and bam, salmonella.

#17 BadCat

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:59 AM

No.

If it wants a bath it can do it itself.  I have better things to do.

#18 TheGreenSheep

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

No

#19 Hands Up

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:13 AM

No.

#20 Sancti-claws

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:24 AM

Well, not any more...

#21 lozoodle

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:38 AM

WHY?

No.

#22 Serinitynow

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:44 AM

I rinse the inside of whole chickens before roasting. Too much grossness otherwise. I then clean the sink afterwards. That’s it. Never washed chicken pieces.

#23 Toddlerandme

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:48 AM

I’ve bathed live chickens (outside, not in my sink).

But not chicken pieces I was going to cook.

#24 IamzFeralz

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:48 AM

View PostLou-bags, on 06 December 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

My cousin is a food safety scientist and this is what he says as well in his FB feeds.

#25 SDEE

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:04 AM

I went to an Asian cooking class, it was a different country every week, the Indian teacher washed all meat before cooking. She explained it was because butchers didn't have good food handling practices (dropping on the floor and then packaging it).

I thought she was a bit over the top and have never washed meat. before cooking, but maybe that's one of the reasons people do it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.