Making Neocate attractive to a toddler

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 daisychaon

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

Hi All, DD is 21 months old and allergist wants to increase intake of neocate junior (the old advance) to approx 400 ml per day.
She likes “milkshakes” with strawberries and a bit of honey (I feel guilty adding the honey but honestly the stuff is not very palatable).
We also do custard, white sauce etc but would like some variety. The recipes on the website are mostly unsuitable for us as we are also soy, wheat, corn and egg free.
Would love to hear if anyone’s recipes for drinks or food that your kids loved. Allergist prescribed flavoured version but it contains sucralose and I don’t want to give her artificial sweeteners.
Incidentally anyone found alcohol-free vanilla?
Thanks!

#2 Mollyksy

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

We used allerpro so nowhere near as bad a taste but we did what you are doing, smoothies.

I found this alcohol free vanilla https://www.heilalav...ant=23287211843 but cant vouch for taste. There were a few entries using good old google!

I wonder if agave would work? Or a simple sugar syrup. Or honey as you are using.

The only thing I wouldn't personally do is nesquik but oh yum lol!

At this stage I think getting nutrients is more important than sweetener personally. You can always wean off them too down the track.

Good luck!

Edited by Mollyksy, 07 December 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

As for food, you guys are a challenge! Tuna mornay using rice based pasta? Risotto? A sort of savoury vege pancakes if rice flour is ok. If rice is ok, you open up a lot of pastas and noodles with savoury sauces or bolognaise.

http://www.orgran.co...s/rice-spirals/ this is just brown rice it seems.

https://thesourcebul...-rice-pasta-gf/ this is rice and quinoa.

Can you use egg replacer? http://www.orgran.co...g-egg-replacer/

Ok that's a rice theme, fingers crossed rice is ok!

Have you seen a dietitian? I'd put a call in so they have time to prep in advance and they might have some great options.

Good luck!

Edited by Mollyksy, 07 December 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#4 jayskette

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

"don't give any other food or drink until they relent" is a real tip given in my uni days.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

What about using apple or another fresh fruit as a sweetener?

Although in reality, honey is not that bad to be adding.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

Sorry I don't know of what you are speaking of specifically but would putting what it is in Orange Juice help (of course please ignore if this is of no help!)

#7 mayahlb

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 07 December 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Sorry I don't know of what you are speaking of specifically but would putting what it is in Orange Juice help (of course please ignore if this is of no help!)

It’s a milk like formula.

Is it the vanilla flavoured one? Or the baby version? There was one that was for older kids and my son used to drink this easily. It’s was much more palatable then the baby version which smelt like rotten potatoes and was truly foul.

Otherwise I don’t really know. We used to add nuttelex to everything possible for more calories. We did milk an hour before food and then 30 mins after food.

#8 Ellie bean

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 07 December 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

It’s like formula (milk) so no that would be gross :)

OP the RISA website www.reflux.org.au has some good tips I think, lots of neocate parents there. Wishing you all the best.
Efs

Edited by Ellie bean, 07 December 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#9 QuirkyMum

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

View Postdaisychaon, on 07 December 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Hi All, DD is 21 months old and allergist wants to increase intake of neocate junior (the old advance) to approx 400 ml per day.
She likes “milkshakes” with strawberries and a bit of honey (I feel guilty adding the honey but honestly the stuff is not very palatable).
We also do custard, white sauce etc but would like some variety. The recipes on the website are mostly unsuitable for us as we are also soy, wheat, corn and egg free.
Would love to hear if anyone’s recipes for drinks or food that your kids loved. Allergist prescribed flavoured version but it contains sucralose and I don’t want to give her artificial sweeteners.
Incidentally anyone found alcohol-free vanilla?
Thanks!
I have no idea what I'm talking about but can you put formula powder, water and half a mango in a blender and Wizz? Maybe add date syrup or honey?
Btw I don't know why it sounds like you are feeling guilty about adding honey? When my then 17 months old son was given a script for hydrolysed formula, I was told I Will be mixing it with syrup ( as in more syrup for formula first) and then slowly weaning him off sugar. Our pediatrician said that toddlers will only drink it without added sugar if you start them early ( as a few week off babies).
I would also be adding avocado( it needs white sugar!). If you are ok with gluten free oats, then oats to the mix.
Good luck!

#10 Jenflea

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:21 PM

Can you make up a strawberry smoothie with honey or whatever and freeze it so it's like icecream?

And if honey or sugar helps them eat it, then I'd go for it!

#11 daisychaon

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Thank you so much for all your rapid replies and for assuaging my guilt re added sugar!!! I blame modern society and it’s views re sugar being the devil! Ellie bean, that is a great idea about RISA and I will check out their forum. Thanks again everyone x

#12 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

My son loved it added to baby rice cereal and mixed into a paste with water. It was the only way he'd eat it.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

My grand daughter liked malt powder and vanilla essence in hers.

#14 Flaxen

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

I used to make up porridge oats with Elecare (same as neocate) for my toddler and it used up a decent quantity of the daily intake.

#15 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

We use dark brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla to mask the taste of alfamino.  It worked OK with the neocate as well when he was on that.

I've given up worrying about sugar with my guy.  His teeth are fine, his bloods are usually perfect so getting two litres a day into him is what we focus on.

You can access a dietician though the enhanced medical care plan.  It's either 6 or 10 visits and well worth the effort.

#16 daisychaon

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

OMG QuirkyMum, the suggestion to add avocado was gold!!! DD scoffed 100 ml of “thickshake” tonight. Thank you X
We can’t use malt - dairy and wheat free.
Yes vanilla is great but got concerned about it containing alcohol- I was using the “natural extract”, not essence, but still has alcohol

#17 Jenflea

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:44 PM

It's a minuscule amount of alcohol though. You'd only be adding a few drops of vanilla which isn't 100% alcohol anyway.

#18 gc_melody

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:11 PM

I make Neocate 'ice cream' and 'yoghurt'. I use it 'special bolognaise' sauce and in pikelets - served with pear jam, carob milkshakes, casseroles, custards - pretty much anything where I can mask with other flavours. The milkshakes used to be well tolerated but my kids are now refusing to have them more times than drinking it.

I also used a Neocate cookbook for a long time although my kids have mostly outgrown a lot of the recipes in that cookbook. You can download ideas here https://global.neoca...es/recipes-list

and here https://global.neoca...-family-recipes

Good luck. Neocate saved our lives and sanity (no word of exaggeration) but it is horrible stinky stuff.

Edited by gc_melody, 13 December 2018 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.