Obstetrician and Hospital choice confusion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MontyMumma

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

Hello everyone, after some clarity.
I'm trying to choose my obstetrician but I'm not sure if I have to pick one based on the hospital that they are based in.
I wanted to go through St Vincent's Werribee but I'm not happy with any of their obstetricians.
I like several of OB's at St Vincent's Melbourne but if I choose one of them does that mean I have to deliver at Melbourne?
I'm concerned about peak hour traffic into the city for example and would prefer to keep to the west.
I'm in Eynesbury so my hospital choices are Werribee or Sunshine, both as a private patient, Bacchus Marsh is a no-go.
I would consider a further away hospital if it means I can get the best doctor.

#2 blackcat20

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

Yes, you'd have to choose an OB at your hospital of choice. They cant just deliver wherever they like.

#3 Luci

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

Dr's have "admitting rights" at certain hospitals only. So if you wanted to go to St Vincent's Werribee then yes you need to chose one of the Ob's who delivers at that hospital.

#4 QuirkyMum

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't only be looking at doctors admitting rights...
If doctor delivers at 3 hospitals ( but mostly at 1 or 2) and you live close and want to have a baby at hospital number 3 ( which happens to be further away from 1 and 2 - where your doctor normally is), don't expect doctor camp next to hospital number 3 around your due date. And if you know there's traffic between hospital 1/2/doctors rooms and your hospital of choice, make sure you accept that there is a real chance doctor won't make it to the birth.

That's why I chose a doctor who only delivers and have rooms in one hospital and lives close by.

Too many people are after popular doctors who deliver all over Sydney, yet dont make it to births.

I would prefer a good doctor at birth ( and physically coming and checking up on me a few times while I'm in labor) than a good and very popular doctor checking on me with midwives over the phone and not making to the birth.

#5 MontyMumma

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone, it's definitely cleared up a few things.
I have two favourites in mind and they are both based at St Vincent's in Fitzroy. It's not the worst place in the world to get to, just not great for traffic/parking.

#6 purpleblaze

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

No it's not great for traffic, don't stress about parking.

I delivered there at 5am with a 45 drive to get there.  No cars on the road

I also delivered there at 5pm during the week with a 30 min drive.  Traffic chaos.

I assume it's your first? Your first baby is not always a long birth, mine was very fast.  So be mindful of when labour starts and don't assume you have ages to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.