What gadget has made a difference to you? (or your kids)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:46 AM

I thought 'change your life' was a bit strong

I not sure exactly why I am asking I am not a gadget person normally but I see the odd one around and this 'looks good' but then do nothing about it PLUS I though it may help with Christmas for ideas for people but I guess my main intent is its Friday and I feel like asking mainly so fluffy

#2 kimasa

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

DH is always losing his keys so a tile was the best thing ever for him.

#3 JBH

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

Electric pressure cooker has been great

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

well, mine won’t be a popular choice - but our smart phones! its just really convenient for when kids start branching out and going places, home from school activities etc independently - and they can communicate when things go wrong, they’re running late etc - they relieve a lot of stress. i also do my banking on it, book things, catch up on news, always have a camera at the ready for this kodak moments....

my other one is my little mini food processor - i use it every night pretty much - and ALWAYS take it away to our beach houses, which my BIL always comments on.

that’s probably not going to help you much with christmas presents- sorry!

eta - i just re-read that and i feel i need to clarify as it reads as if i own multiple beach houses. i do not. i dont even own one! we rent a different beach house every january.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 07 December 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:01 PM

I hsa

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 07 December 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

well, mine won’t be a popular choice - but our smart phones! its just really convenient for when kids start branching out and going places, home from school activities etc independently - and they can communicate when things go wrong, they’re running late etc - they relieve a lot of stress. i also do my banking on it, book things, catch up on news, always have a camera at the ready for this kodak moments....

my other one is my little mini food processor - i use it every night pretty much - and ALWAYS take it away to our beach houses, which my BIL always comments on.

that’s probably not going to help you much with christmas presents- sorry!

I have to admit as we don't own a car but we do goget/hire ones my smart phone helps a lot as a gps!

and way more importantly while I am watching a show I can google what the actor/actress was in that I can't remember where I have seen them before

View Postkimasa, on 07 December 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

DH is always losing his keys so a tile was the best thing ever for him.

sorry but a tile?

(not having a go I really am not sure what you mean)

#6 ~J_F~

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

My thermomix..

#7 MrsT2018

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

My phone combined with audio books.

Now when I'm completely addicted to a book I can put it down and go for a walk / vacuum / do the dishes / washing etc while listening to the audio book. The only pain is working out where I've read to.

Normally nothing gets done when I'm in a good book.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:19 PM

An apple slinky maker.

Never realised how much I would need one of those until I had apple obsessed toddlers. Made slicing & coring a very quick job.

Other than that, I cannot live without my microwave.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 07 December 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#9 kimasa

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 07 December 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

sorry but a tile?

(not having a go I really am not sure what you mean)

It's a little keychain that is bluetooth enabled that links up with an app on your phone, so when you lose your keys you can either send a message from your phone to make the tile chirp, and if that doesn't work and it turns out your keys are much further away than you thought, it can show you a map of where they are (in DH's case, at the park down the road, always at the freaking park).

They sell them at Officeworks.

#10 MrsT2018

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

View Postkimasa, on 07 December 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

It's a little keychain that is bluetooth enabled that links up with an app on your phone, so when you lose your keys you can either send a message from your phone to make the tile chirp, and if that doesn't work and it turns out your keys are much further away than you thought, it can show you a map of where they are (in DH's case, at the park down the road, always at the freaking park).

I need one of those to attach to my DS!

#11 ~Peahen~

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:33 PM

-My  tofu press.
-Airfryer (to cook the tofu)
-Mini portable blender (like a bullet)
-Charging port (with 4 ports)
-my utility knife, it's come in handy so many times
-digital kitchen scales. These get flogged.

Edited by ~Peahen~, 07 December 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#12 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

A slow cooker.

#13 BurningBright

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

My air fryer. I love mine.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Postkimasa, on 07 December 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I needthese for dh's glasses!

#15 Wahwah

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Soda stream.

It has made a monumental difference by virtually wiping out the amount of bottles we use. Even if those bottles are recyclable, they're still produced using resources. So we never buy soft drink, mineral water, soda water or tonic water anymore. Now if there was only a machine that goes whoosh to make instantaneous prosecco...

#16 Sed

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Robot vacuum & coffee machine.

#17 MsLaurie

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

Mini food processor. Just the right size for chopping up a couple of veggies to throw in a pasta sauce. The only appliance to have a permanent home on the bench instead of in a cupboard!

For DH- a portable Bluetooth speaker. He absolutely loves having a podcast or music going when he’s pottering about tidying up, and I will willingly listen to hours of blather about basketball when someone else is cleaning the kitchen and putting the washing on!!

#18 Mollycoddle

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

Wahwah, on 07 December 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

Now if there was only a machine that goes whoosh to make instantaneous prosecco...

Well this woman has the right idea lol!  Though you do need to start with plain white wine, not water:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nSNHfAX_vZA

MsLaurie, on 07 December 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

For DH- a portable Bluetooth speaker. He absolutely loves having a podcast or music going when he’s pottering about tidying up, and I will willingly listen to hours of blather about basketball when someone else is cleaning the kitchen and putting the washing on!!

This is me too.  I bought myself one a few Christmases ago and it gets multiple use daily.

#19 Popper

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

Magic bullet. Use it daily and smaller than my food processer which only gets used a few times a year.

#20 eliza_non

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

Robot vacuum.

#21 NannyPlum

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

I lost my car key at the beach today (I did find it eventually).. I'm buying myself a tile  😂

A smart TV. It gets used so much and not just with TV stuff but with spotify nearly every day

#22 Gudrun

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

Microwave
Mobile phone
GPS
Dishwasher
TV remote
Jar opener

Edited by Gudrun, 07 December 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#23 easy-as-1-2-3

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

MsLaurie, on 07 December 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

I love our speaker - it is this one.

#24 Feral33

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

Robot vacuum.

#25 Seven of Nine

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

My smartphone has changed my life. I love it. I definitely don't want to go back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.