Pop sugar reading challenge

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#126 Lunagirl

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 23 November 2019 - 09:36 AM, said:

Finished!!! The bride test by Helen Hoang for a book with a wedding. Could also be for the own voices prompt.

I am really liking her style, I’m going to read the third one I think. This book was a lot better than the Kiss Quotient and I really liked that too.

Congratulations! What are your reading plans for the rest of the year? Just read whatever appeals to you? Or take a break and do something else entirely?

#127 Lunagirl

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 November 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

Well done.

Have you got books lined up for those?

Thanks. I've got ideas for the remaining four. Favourite book I'm holding off on, as some of my favourite books (eg. Lord of the Rings) are very long, and I want to make sure I can finish the challenge. I have some shorter favourites so will leave this one til last and see how much time I have left in the year before choosing.

I've borrowed The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones (author of Howl's Moving Castle) for published posthumously, and have a book called Sourdough on hold at the library for a hobby book. For Asia/Africa/South America, I think I'll read The Three-Body Problem. I've started it once or twice but didn't get very far.

#128 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostLunagirl, on 25 November 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

Congratulations! What are your reading plans for the rest of the year? Just read whatever appeals to you? Or take a break and do something else entirely?

I’m just going to read what I want. If o see something that works for the advanced prompts, I will read those, but I’m not hunting iykwim.

Sourdough by Robin Sloan is a seriously good book.i enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by Riotproof, 25 November 2019 - 08:21 PM.

#129 Lou-bags

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:38 PM

How many books do you think I can conceivably read before the year is out? 😂

I’d love to finish the challenge! I have two of the final ones on the go (one audio for the drive to work and one hard copy for evenings).

Edited to add- never mind just figured out I have 15 prompts left haha. That’s probably not going to happen given I’ve only read 27 for the rest of the year

Edited by Lou-bags, 25 November 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#130 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:54 PM

Depending on how creative you are, there might be some picture books that apply.

Tbh though, I’d be happy if I’d just read outside my square. That’s the challenge, imo.
I liked some more than I thought I would and have added other books by the same authors to my want to read list. I never would have found Kate Forsyth otherwise.

#131 Riotproof

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:27 AM

If anyone is stuck on the Asian author prompt, I just fell over Haruki  Murakami who writes short, unusual books that also have lots of illustrations.

#132 seayork2002

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 26 November 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

If anyone is stuck on the Asian author prompt, I just fell over Haruki  Murakami who writes short, unusual books that also have lots of illustrations.

And there is A A Dhand, if anyone likes fast pace action crime books

#133 Lou-bags

Posted 26 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

I’m reading a book by a Zimbabwean family member for that prompt!

#134 Riotproof

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

The strange library by Haruki murakami. It was a very fast read, but really enjoyable. Really super strange too.

Edited by Riotproof, 26 November 2019 - 03:43 PM.

#135 Lunagirl

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:47 PM

Aaand, I'm done. Last weekend actually, but haven't had a chance to come and update til now.

My final four books for the prompt were:

#7 A reread of a favourite book - Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.

I had been thinking of doing a reread of Discworld this year, but ended up doing this challenge instead. I'll try to fit more Discworld novels in next year's challenge. Reading this one reminded me how much I love them.

#8 A book about a hobby - Sourdough by Robin Sloan

Really liked this, though I wasn't 100% sold on the very last part. But I would recommend it. Could fit into 'subject you know nothing about' for the 2020 challenge.

#13 A book published posthumously - The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones

A fairytale-like story by the author of Howl's Moving Castle, finished by her sister after her death.

32 A book by an author from Asia, Africa or South America - The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

Not the easiest book, but good overall. Sci-fi by a Chinese author.

I've really enjoyed doing the challenge this year and it's helped me stretch my reading and discover authors and books I otherwise wouldn't have. Thanks, Riotproof, for introducing this to me!

One thing I didn't like about the challenge is that it discouraged me from continuing to read series I enjoy because they didn't fit the prompts. I'm going to either try to get ahead in the challenge in 2020 so I'm not racing to finish it at the end of the year and have time to read other books I like (though I did do some of that this year, hence only finishing in mid-December) or be a bit more strategic and look at books I want to read in advance and figure out where they can fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.