Pop sugar reading challenge

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#26 Riotproof

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

For based on a true story, I’m starting Unbreakable threads. Preparing to cry.

https://www.goodread...k/show/41573141

#27 Zeppelina

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

I'm doing this challenge in theory (thanks for the heads up about it RP), but haven't actually started any reading for it... Still, following the thread and your reads!

#28 Riotproof

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Zeppelina. The good read forum is busy and full of info, but I find it hard to keep up. I like that the prompts are so varied, it feels like I might find something incredible.

#29 ceeshell

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

I initially thought this was a bit silly, but I've thought about it and I've changed my mind. It's a nice way to get reading, keep reading, and broaden my reading horizons.

I'm in. I am totally retrofitting the three books I've already read/am reading this year, though! Those are in bold below, with my unsolicited reviews, too!

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019

2. A book that makes you nostalgic

3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction) - Out of the Ordinary by Jon Ronson. This is a bit of a push, but he did play keyboard for a real band in his youth so it still counts. Ok, ok, I am just squeezing it in so as not to waste the book! It's funny and insightful by the way. Highly recommend.

4. A book you think should be turned into a move -

5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads

6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover

7. A reread of a favourite book

8. A book about a hobby

9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - The Women's Room by Marilyn French. It's been sitting, waiting for me. I am reading at the moment and love it.

10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover

12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore

13. A book published posthumously

14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie

15. A retelling of a classic

16. A book with a question in the title

17. A book set on college or university campus

18. A book about someone with a superpower

19. A book from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers - MEH

20. A book set in space - The Book of Strange New Things - AMAZING. I LOVED IT.

21. A book by two female authors

22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title

23. A book set in Scandinavia

24. A book that takes place in a single day

25. A debut novel

26. A book that's published in 2019

27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature

28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire

29. A book with LOVE in the title

30. A book featuring an amateur detective

31. A book about a family

32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title

34. A book that includes a wedding

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter

36. A ghost story

37. A book with a two-word title

38. A novel based on a true story

39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game

40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge

Edited by ceeshell, 26 February 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#30 Zeppelina

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:13 PM

If anyone is looking for something light and fluffy and romcom-y, a dear author friend of mine has just published another book (today, actually!) which would fit a)a book with a plant on the cover or b)A book that's published in 2019.

(Full disclosure: I haven't read it yet - it's going to be the first on my Pop Sugar list! - BUT... it is dedicated to me and another friend of ours, so of course I'm going to talk it up :wub: )

eta: Oops, forgot to name the book! It's "The One Who's Not the One" by Keris Stainton.

Edited by Zeppelina, 26 February 2019 - 09:31 PM.

#31 Lunagirl

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Milkman by Anna Burns

9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - Deep Work by Cal Newport

18. A book about someone with a superpower - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

19. A book told from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

34. A book that includes a wedding - China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

37. A book with a two word title - The Break by Marian Keyes

#32 Riotproof

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

38. A novel based on a true story Unbreakable Threads by Emma Adams

This was incredibly absorbing. I did find it confusing to follow, but I think that is testament to the nature of our immigration laws and the department, and government.

#33 Riotproof

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Some inspiration for a book published in 2019. https://www.facebook...?type=3

#34 Lunagirl

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:31 PM

4. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Milkman by Anna Burns

9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - Deep Work by Cal Newport

18. A book about someone with a superpower - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

19. A book told from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

26. A book that's published in 2019 - The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion
34. A book that includes a wedding - China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

37. A book with a two word title - The Break by Marian Keyes

#35 Lunagirl

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

#27 A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature - Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

The type of imaginary creature should be obvious from the title :-)

#36 Lunagirl

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

#5 A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads - A Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

#37 Riotproof

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

I enjoyed that one, lunagirl.

#38 Lunagirl

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

Me too. I basically read it in one sitting. I just had to keep going.

What book is everyone else going to use for this prompt?

#39 Riotproof

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:13 PM

I looked at my want to read on good reads, and sorted by reviews. Only one applied. Percy Jackson and lightning thief which I’m reading now, though slowly. I like it, but the movie was a bit different iirc.

#40 Riotproof

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

For my book with a 1m reviews on Good Reads, I finished Percy Jackson and the lightning thief. I did kind of like it, but not enough to read any more at this stage.

The prompt for your favourite past prompt is a bit problematic, but people on the Good Reads group have mentioned that audiobook appeared previously. So I am listening to Fragments by Toni Jordan. This would be a good one for a book with a puzzle or mystery as well.

#41 Lunagirl

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:35 AM

#3 A book written by a musician (fiction or non-fiction) - An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield.

Chris plays the guitar and has been in several bands. He's also been to space three times, including a five-month stint where he spent time as Commander of the International Space Station.  

This was my first re-read for the year. Chris talks about going to space, but also how the mindset he developed helps him on Earth. It's got lots of good life lessons.

Edited by Lunagirl, 23 March 2019 - 04:18 PM.

#42 Riotproof

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:04 PM

24. A book that takes place in a single day - night of the jabberwock by Frederic Brown

Really liked it. Thanks to sancticlaws for sending it to me. I don’t know how he was standing at the end after drinking that much! But good story. So many twists and turns.

#43 Riotproof

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover - Deenie by Judy Blume

I’d forgotten how well Judy Blume taps into the teenage girl mind. I’d remembered it about a girl with a brace for scoliosis, but it’s actually about more than that. My cover has shoes on it and is a modern print. But I didn’t notice any real changes. The spirit was still so true to it. It had a chapter of It’s not the end of the world as an extra and I enjoyed that also.

Next is a debut novel Boy Swallows Universe. I could also include this as recommended by a celebrity, so I will see how I feel.

#44 Zeppelina

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 30 March 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Next is a debut novel Boy Swallows Universe. I could also include this as recommended by a celebrity, so I will see how I feel.
Oh this has been on my to read list since it came out! Let us know how you get on with it.

#45 Riotproof

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

I’m really liking it so far, Zeppelina. Beautiful use of language, he really manages to take you there.

Putting this here. A link with suggestions for all the prompts. https://www.popsugar...-nonfiction/amp

#46 Lunagirl

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

#1 A book becoming a movie in 2019 - The Rhythm Section by Mark Burnell.

A thriller about a woman whose family died in a plane crash. Blake Lively will play the main character and Jude Law is in it too.

Edited by Lunagirl, 03 April 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#47 Riotproof

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Finished Boy Swallows Universe.

It was such an interesting read. I found the language so evocative, it drew you in so much to what was happening. Also, even though the characters did some questionable things, I still wanted them to be happy. I’m going to keep it, it definitely deserves a reread later.

I’m going to read Monica Mcinerney A Taste for it next which has an author with same first and last initial. I’ve got the Rosie Result on reserve at the library for a book published in 2019 and I bought a collection of ghost stories recently.

#48 ceeshell

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:57 AM

Update from me:

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019

2. A book that makes you nostalgic

3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction) - Out of the Ordinary by Jon Ronson. This is a bit of a push, but he did play keyboard for a real band in his youth so it still counts. Ok, ok, I am just squeezing it in so as not to waste the book! It's funny and insightful by the way. Highly recommend.

4. A book you think should be turned into a move -

5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads

6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover

7. A reread of a favourite book

8. A book about a hobby

9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - The Women's Room by Marilyn French. It's been sitting, waiting for me. I am read this and it left me despairing for all women everywhere and hating ALL MEN. It was a great book, though.

10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title

11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover

12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore

13. A book published posthumously

14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie

15. A retelling of a classic. I think I will read the graphic novel of The Handmaid's Tale

16. A book with a question in the title

17. A book set on college or university campus

18. A book about someone with a superpower

19. A book from multiple POVs - Nine Perfect Strangers - MEH

20. A book set in space - The Book of Strange New Things - AMAZING. I LOVED IT.

21. A book by two female authors  - The Royal We by Jessica Morgan and Heather c**ks (the girls who write the Go Fug Yourself website). This was gloriously shallow - basically Kate Middleton fanfic. It was the perfect light read after The Women's Room

22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title

23. A book set in Scandinavia - An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good by Helene Tursten. THIS WAS GREAT. A fun, short read. Clever.

24. A book that takes place in a single day

25. A debut novel

26. A book that's published in 2019

27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature

28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire

29. A book with LOVE in the title - To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han. My daughter wants to read it so I decided to read it first. Then we'll watch the movie together (I've already seen it, and loved it. Will admit that I have a very inappropriate-feeling crush on that boy). It was a good salve after No Friend but the Mountains

30. A book featuring an amateur detective

31. A book about a family

32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title

34. A book that includes a wedding CURRENTLY READING Cold Comfort Farm. Hilarious. I've been meaning to read it for years. Was so happy to see it mentioned on Good Reads as featuring a wedding.

35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter - No Friend but the Mountains - Behrouz Boochani. Compulsory Reading. It is an incredible book that has to be endured rather than read. But so we should bear witness to his story.

36. A ghost story

37. A book with a two-word title

38. A novel based on a true story

39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game

40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge

#49 Riotproof

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

26. A book that's published in 2019 - The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion ❤️ Love love love Don Tillman. Such a great read. As a result, I’ve done nothing else today.

#50 Lunagirl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

#22 A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER or SPICY in the title - Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth.

I’ve had this on my TBR pile for ages and am glad this challenge finally made me pick it up.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.