Pop sugar reading challenge

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#51 Lunagirl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

#22 A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER or SPICY in the title - Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth.

I’ve had this on my TBR pile for ages and am glad this challenge finally made me pick it up.

#52 Riotproof

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

Are you going to do another one of hers for the “retelling of a classic” prompt?

#53 Lunagirl

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 April 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Are you going to do another one of hers for the “retelling of a classic” prompt?

I haven't decided but potentially. Are you using Bitter Greens for the retelling prompt or the classic prompt?

#12 A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore - American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Based on the idea of gods from Europe, Africa and Asia coming to America because migrants believe in them. Features a leprechaun, a Norse god and more.

#54 Riotproof

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

I’m not sure Lunagirl. I think I will tentatively file it under Green. Could also at a huge stretch be filed under wedding. And convent for those doing the extended challenge.

I loved it. Like blown away.  It’s not an easy read though, so I think I will wait awhile before reading the Beasts Garden as a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

My next book is one that I don’t know where it could possibly go, but I want to read it, so I will.

#55 Lunagirl

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 02 May 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

I loved it. Like blown away.  It’s not an easy read though, so I think I will wait awhile before reading the Beasts Garden as a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

This is exactly how I felt! That's why I said I wasn't sure about another one of hers for the retelling prompt. I needed a break! I might wait til towards the end of the year and will hopefully feel ready.

#56 Riotproof

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:56 PM

I just think she retold it so well!

38% is where I’m at, and that seems to be pretty much on track.

#57 Riotproof

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

A book that should be turned into a movie..

How to be second best by Jessica Dettman ❤️ I really, really liked this book. It was quick and easy to read, but very engaging, good ending. It kind of reminds me of Bridget Jones plus kids.. one disaster after another.

Could also be for the family prompt, debut novel, published in 2019.

#58 Riotproof

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Lemony snickett (or the guy behind the name) is a musician!!!

So I am going to read the first instalment of his for the one by a musician. Thank goodness. I am not inspired by bios at all.

#59 rollinginthepages

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#60 Riotproof

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

Suite Francaise has been on my list for the longest time, so delighted is not the right word, but happy to find it fits another prompt. For posthumous.

Lots of options here if anyone is stuck on that one. https://www.goodread...Published_Books

#61 Lunagirl

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

#33 Zodiac Sign - The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

#38 Based on a true story - Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton
This could go under several prompts (debut, book about a family) but I think this one will be harder to fill for me.

#40 Favourite prompt from a previous Pop Sugar Challenge - Toy by R. Parr (book with an LGBTQIA) protagonist

#62 Zeppelina

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

View PostLunagirl, on 12 May 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

#38 Based on a true story - Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton
This could go under several prompts (debut, book about a family) but I think this one will be harder to fill for me.
I just put a hold on this at my library. I'm currently #100 in the queue! :laugh:

#63 Riotproof

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 13 May 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

I just put a hold on this at my library. I'm currently #100 in the queue! :laugh:

Do they have an e version?sometimes you get those faster, imo. No waiting for the people on the queue to actually get to the library, so it doesn’t sit unread.

The audio book is reserved until June, but the Ebook is available now for example.

Edited by Riotproof, 13 May 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#64 Zeppelina

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 13 May 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

Do they have an e version?sometimes you get those faster, imo. No waiting for the people on the queue to actually get to the library, so it doesn’t sit unread.

The audio book is reserved until June, but the Ebook is available now for example.
No ebook available on their website unfortunately. I'm in the middle of three others at the moment so I'm not in a big hurry anyway... I have a feeling I'll crack and go out and buy a copy when I'm ready. I've heard so many good things about it, I'm sure I'll love it and be happy to own it.

#65 Riotproof

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

That’s pretty much what I decided when I bought it.

I think it’s worthy a yearly reread anyway.

#66 Riotproof

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Went to op shop today and got a Scandinavian candidate Michael Ridpath Where the shadows lie
And Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell for multiple points of view.

Currently reading Possessions by Judith Michael which is a reread of a favourite. It’s absolutely decadent 80s mega family saga with a bit of romance thrown in.

#67 Lunagirl

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 16 May 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Went to op shop today and got a Scandinavian candidate Michael Ridpath Where the shadows lie
And Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell for multiple points of view.

Currently reading Possessions by Judith Michael which is a reread of a favourite. It’s absolutely decadent 80s mega family saga with a bit of romance thrown in.

I enjoyed Eleanor and Park.

Zeppelina - that’s why I bought it!

Edited by Lunagirl, 16 May 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#68 Riotproof

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

So, I got two electronic library reserves at once.

So, I’m currently reading The scholar for one set at university, Still Alice for a two word title and I’ve moved Where the shadows lie to astrology because apparently there are shadow signs. It is a stretch and I’m totally doing it anyway. Ha.

#69 Lunagirl

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

#30 Book featuring an amateur detective - The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

#70 Riotproof

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

I really liked that one, Luna girl.

#71 Riotproof

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:02 AM

17. A book set on college or university campus The Scholar by Dervla Mctiernan

Solid police procedural. Enjoyable and I read it really quickly.  Not overly keen on the next one in the series, but I do like Cormac so i’ll Probably try it.

Next is Still Alice for a two word title. Then i’ll Get back to books with no due date.

#72 Riotproof

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

A two word title- still Alice by Lisa Genova. Loved it. Made me so sad to think of how terrified mil must have been while she was still hiding her own Alzheimer’s.
Really well written too.

#73 Lunagirl

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

#41 Climate fiction - The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of this one.

#74 Riotproof

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title - where the shadows lie by Michael Ridpath Could also be used for inspired by Folklore etc as it’s about iCelandic sagas. I may slot it into the folklore category instead, because I wanted to read Star Crossed by Minnie Darke.

I liked it but it did drag and the characters and their names were a bit confusing. The ending was good. I’d consider reading more, but I’m not sure I really love Magnus. He inserts random facts about financial loans that don’t really seem overly relevant.

Not sure what I want to read next.

#75 Lunagirl

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 26 May 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I really liked that one, Luna girl.

I didn't love it? It was really well done but it just didn't entirely click with me for some reason. Someone lent it to me so I read it straight away, rather than waiting til I was in the mood for that book. I think that was the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.