Stuck placenta? (Third stage of labour)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lilbabyofmine

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:18 PM

I gave birth 2 days ago to a little boy. Vaginal natural delivery but placenta wouldn’t come out for about 40mins until they put traction on the cord and I had to give a big push with a contraction to get it out. It was very painful. Had normal blood loss since then (pad change every 3 hours or so) and they said it was almost fully intact.
I’ve had a few small clots, but today after walking around a little bit (have mostly been resting) I felt something give way. Checked my pad and it was a large clot plus ?a bit of placenta or tissue piece. Thoughts? Midwife coming tomorrow so will ask her also, no increase in bleeding but I’m a bit scared that maybe there’s more fragments stuck in there and that the placenta didn’t come out completely whole..?!?

Attached Files

Edited by lilbabyofmine, 31 December 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#2 Tough titties

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

Personally I would err on the side of caution and present to the emergency department. You can get very unwell very quickly if you have leftovers from birth.

#3 Jenflea

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

I'd call the midwife now if possible and ask her advice, or the hospital you gave birth at.
I had a TINY piece that didn't come away and it caused a PPH right after the birth.

#4 cvbn

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

I would at the very least call the hospital and not feel bad about presenting there.

Take care.

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

Please ring the maternity ward/birth suite where you gave birth. Bring the sample with you.

#6 Flaxen

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

I got very sick very quickly with retained placenta. Felt fine in the morning and even had a Dr appt, was ok at lunch, and incredibly sick by 4pm. Go back to the maternity ward to check.

#7 Lou-bags

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

After my births I was told to call a midwife for clots larger than a 20c piece. With what you’ve posted and the trouble you had delivering the placenta, I’d go to the ED as soon as possible.

A friend had a serious PPH 7 days post partum due to retained product. She passed out in the bathroom at home, her DH was there thankfully and called an ambulance. Don’t take any risks, just get checked out OP.

And also congratulations on the birth of your baby!

#8 ~ Ohana~

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

Yep, I think that warrants a trip to the ED.

#9 BubbleBird

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

I would head back to hospital, or at least call for advice. For what it's worth, I passed something similar but a lot bigger a day after having my second baby, whilst still in hospital, the midwives weren't too concerned and all was fine.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:17 AM

I agree, take what you passed into the ED of the hospital you delivered at. They may want to do an ultrasound.
An "almost complete" placenta is an incomplete placenta.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.