What happened?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 150watson

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,

I am wondering if I have done something wrong. I have just the one child who is now 13mths old. She has been an absolute dream until this past week.

She would go down at night at 6:30-7pm, sleep right through. She was always such a happy child and so good. But this past week she has been fighting going to sleep, only having one 1hr nap, and not going to sleep until 10 and sometimes 11pm. And she fights it from 7pm.

She also has now got a habit of screaming the place down if she doesnt get what she wants or either myself or my husband walks out the room. This has all been in the past week and after just finding out I am expecting again, I feel I need to get her back in routine and back to the happy kid she was as I dont want to overdo it myself.

Can anyone offer advice as to what might be going on or what I can do?
I have tried just putting her to bed, and leaving her to settle in her cot but she gets 10x worse!

I have tried all the routine, we get home from work, walk the dog, she has dinner, bath and dressed ready for bed, a half hour playtime, bottle and then bed. But although she is calm and rubbing her eyes, she still refuses to sleep. I just dont know what to do anymore.

Edited by 150watson, 02 January 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Beanette

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

There is a sleep regression at 14 months, I can remember my DS also going from being a good sleeper to a terrible one overnight.

It did pass though, I think we had about 3 weeks of absolute hell, but then he was back to his usual self. We just tried to be as consistent as we could with what we used to do before the regression (i.e. try to not start anything that we didn't want to have to continue like rocking to sleep) and tried to just ride out the storm.

I feel for you being pregnant, early pregnancy is sooo tiring and it's really hard when you're not getting enough sleep. I hope it passes quickly

#3 Mollycoddle

Posted 02 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Sounds totally normal to me, a child's sleep pattern may change numerous times in the first few years to the point that I would say that having a child under 2 sleep through the night for any consistent period of time would be an anomaly.  Ditto the tantrums.

#4 Kallie88

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Congratulations, your baby just became a toddler lol

To be serious though, sounds totally normal, give it a couple more weeks and her sleep should settle down again. The tantrums unfortunately are likely to stick around for a while. My 3yo still has whoppers from time to time lol.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Sounds like you'll have a similar gap to my #1 + #2 (20 months). We found it to be a pretty good gap, don't stress too much, the issues you have with #1 now will be pretty different by the time #2 comes along xx

Eta: with sleep in the meantime just do whatever keeps you the most rested, if you can lie down with her and rest till she goes to sleep or something I'd recommend that, or get hubby to so you can sleep properly, whatever will work best for you guys, then go back to normal routine when it's passed

Edited by Kallie88, 02 January 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Mel1609

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

How long is she sleeping for during the day? At this age,  I'd say no longer than 2.5 hours,  and no sleeping later than 3pm. Just my opinion tho.

#6 José

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

ah yes, just when you are feeling confident everything is on track they change on you!
what used to help no longer does and new and sometimes difficult behaviours surface.
this is completely normal. its nothing you have done
being a parent keeps you on your toes, thats for sure.
your current difficulties will settle soon enough and you will have new problems to worry about!

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:07 PM

One 1hr nap?if that’s new, then maybe move bedtime earlier.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

View PostJosé, on 02 January 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

ah yes, just when you are feeling confident everything is on track they change on you!
what used to help no longer does and new and sometimes difficult behaviours surface.
this is completely normal. its nothing you have done
being a parent keeps you on your toes, thats for sure.
your current difficulties will settle soon enough and you will have new problems to worry about!

Yes, this is true. You’re going to be asking this question many more times.. and every time, it will surprise you.

Best of luck. It all sounds frustratingly normal, sorry.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

It's possible she's overtired and can't get to sleep.

Like PP said above, I'd try for an earlier bedtime. Maybe walk the dog later after she goes to bed if possible,(if 2 parents are home of course!) then start the routine earlier.

I went through a stage of having to stand with my hand gently on DD"s chest to get her to stop thrashing around in bed and working herself up. Then I had to sit next to the bed while she lay down, if she stood up I'd leave the room till she was lying down again(but she was closer to 2 by then, yours might be a bit young).

It's hard!

#10 petit_manchot

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

The screaming thing has started happening with my 14-month old, and also friend's 13-month old. It's baffling... sometimes there's a reason ("you took my spoon/block/random piece of paper away", or, "the thing I was playing with has gone under the couch", or, "I pushed something up against the wall and now I can't push it any further", or, "you're eating something and I want it, but I don't like what you're eating, how could you possibly force me to eat such a horrible thing" etc), other times there's no apparent reason, just "I'm really really unhappy right this instant and I don't know why and so I'm going to SCREAM"

I'm hoping it's just a phase....

#11 Future-self

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

A bit of separation anxiety is normal at this age too - they realise that you are seperate from them and can disappear.
Rather than expect her to go back to the old routine I’d change it. Moving bath to before dinner works so much better for my kids for example. And if she needs you in her room to fall asleep then do that for a bit. If she doesn’t have a nightlight then that’s worth a try too - made a huge difference to my DD as she moved into toddlerhood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.