2019 Anyone studying this year?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#26 PrincessPinkenIt

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Im heading back to uni for another degree... finished my Bachelor in Nursing in 2017 and was unsuccessful in gaining a new grad or a job, so I decided to go for Midwifery.
Looking forward to getting back to it

#27 ~elle~

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:26 PM

I got my acceptance email yesterday. Am starting off with doing the full time / 6 months Uni preparation course in Science. Online.

Been 20 years since graduating from my undergrad degree and  about 10 years since I did my post grad certificate - so very excited!!!! So many things have changed.

#28 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations to all who have been accepted into the courses they wanted! Well done!!

Continuing my masters in environmental science and management. 18months to go if all goes well.

First round of residential schools happening this year. Should be interesting to see how old I feel up there.

#29 HolierThanCow

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm starting a Masters of secondary teaching.

#30 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

I went back part time in the middle of last year to start doing my Masters in forensic science. I was enjoying it so much and work was so awful that DH encouraged me to quit work and go full time this year!

This week I have been on a course to upgrade my Cert IV in Training and Assessment.

#31 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

Well I just got the first bill for my degree so no going back now... thank god I got a commonwealth supported place.

#32 Staying Strange

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

I had my exam today... first exam I've sat in over a decade. And I had a pretty terrible lead up to it. So my fingers are crossed and as soon as the kids are asleep I'll getting stuck into my assignment due on Sunday.... who thought it was a good idea to study a cross institutional subject with a 3 week cross over of terms.

On the up side... I've now completed 50% of my masters

#33 MrsT2018

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

Just started my first unit yesterday. Well about 4 hours in and I'm enjoying it so much - fingers crossed my enthusiasm lasts lol.

Was so apprehensive as haven't done formal study since year 12 almost 20 years ago ha ha.

Its so nice tho to be able to consolidate what I've been doing at work for the last 5 years to actually start to understand what it all means :-)

#34 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

My units are open as of yesterday though we don't officially start until March 4th. I am attempting to be organised for this degree so am going to print off what I need at work (internet at home is having issues). The first few pages of the modules looks interesting and even better the lecturer has done up a research guide with tips and links to material to support study.

Urg I'm intimidated though, the unit I've just looked at has 2 tests/quizzes, a PowerPoint presentation (god I hate these) with accompanying report and an essay for it's assignments.

Edited by mayahlb, 19 February 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#35 newbub2014

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Mine starts next week, I've only just confirmed that I'm actually enrolled in the correct unit for Semester 1.  I have no idea how to find the online study stuff, and I've only just dragged out my old laptop today (still seems to work fine, so that's good).

I need to organise a desk so I have a dedicated study space, and some home internet (hotspotting off my phone at the moment!).  I'm so unprepared.  I suppose I should also look in to what textbooks I need, and try to figure out when my res schools will be so I can plan for that.  So much to do, I was quite organised when I studied my undergrad but then again I wasn't working (except in uni holidays) and I wasn't a single parent! So I'm going to need to pull it together, get organised, and stay organised to make it through.

#36 Summer81

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

I've just started a Masters this week part time distance. Optimistically enrolled in 2 subjects then started and freaked out- dropped to one subject haha- haven't studied in 10 years and with 3 kids (one 4 months old) I think small steps is a good idea 😂

#37 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:52 PM

View PostSummer81, on 27 February 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

I've just started a Masters this week part time distance. Optimistically enrolled in 2 subjects then started and freaked out- dropped to one subject haha

Um I did exactly the same thing.

I have a quiz/test 2 weeks in. Who does that?!? It's worth 15% too.

#38 newbub2014

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

Oh summer and mayahlb that would’ve totally been me except my first subject is worth 12 points instead of 6, so there’s no option to drop down.

I feel like a total idiot, I couldn’t figure out which part of the website I needed to be in to get all the info. I finally figured it out yesterday, at which point I realised I would need to order the 4 recommended text books. $340 later, but they’re not even available so could take a couple of weeks to come, and my first assignment is due in 3 weeks! So I am feeling totally overwhelmed and disorganised already. I’m off to the local library in the morning to see if they have any, but first I’ll have to pay my fines from 4 years ago which are probably huge now!

#39 Summer81

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 28 February 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

Um I did exactly the same thing.

Quiz 2 weeks in!! That's just rude!

#40 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:33 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 28 February 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

Week 2 for me and our first online quiz opens tomorrow and closes on Friday! I’ll be doing it tomorrow because I’m going away on Thursday.

#41 Staying Strange

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:04 AM

Morning ladies!

Mayahlb and seaprincess my current subject is similar. We had *assessable* worksheets due in weeks 1,.2, 3, 4 and 5..... urgh.

On the upside, I got my results for my subject I completed over trimester 3 (cross institutionally) and despite every thing going on I managed a 73 overall for the subject. So I'm now officially half way through my masters.

And while talking with a colleague yesterday I think I have an idea(or at least topic area) for my research project that I am enrolled in for terms 3&4 this year.

Hope everyone is doing ok and enjoying their studies :)

#42 mcejuan

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:41 AM

I’m recommencing my degree this year after having two kids. I’m second year bachelor of secondary education. Orientation is today :)

#43 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:29 AM

View PostStaying Strange, on 06 March 2019 - 05:04 AM, said:

On the upside, I got my results for my subject I completed over trimester 3 (cross institutionally) and despite every thing going on I managed a 73 overall for the subject. So I'm now officially half way through my masters.

And while talking with a colleague yesterday I think I have an idea(or at least topic area) for my research project that I am enrolled in for terms 3&4 this year.

Well done! I started part time and have switched to full time, so I’m doing coursework at the moment and also enrolled in my project for the full year, so I have to submit my project proposal in 2 weeks. I have a good dissertation topic, but I haven’t nailed down my actual objectives yet.

#44 Beancat

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:43 AM

I really want to return to study and do something else but I am not sure what to do and secondly how to fit it in with 3 school aged kids, FT work and trying to cut out some time for myself to exercise

I think I want to do a counseling degree.  I already have quals in commerce and education and have been working for 20 years on policy.  While it pays well and its interesting I feel my skills would be better suited to counseling but not sure how to transition across

#45 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

Well done staying strange. I’m so glad my masters is completely by coursework. I don’t think I could do a masters by research or even big project work. I always get stuck trying to find an idea.

Beancat I’m not a good one to ask regarding fitting it in. I only work part-time and have two kids but am struggling. At the moment because I was sick and feverish so didn’t do any study Monday I am fitting it in where I can. Yesterday I sat for 30mins before school pick up doing readings. Today I plan to do it between a kids appointment and picking kids up from school (about an hour I’m hoping). My work gives me two hours of study leave a week I can take during my working hours. I also usually do about 1-2 hours in the evening after kids are in bed. I have an online class today and I’m going to be pushing it to make it because of the time difference (I’m in Wa and studying with a uni in NSW. So even though it’s at 7pm for them, that’s 4pm for me right in the midst of afternoon chaos). I have s friend studying who gets up 2 hours earlier then anyone else isn’t eh house and studies from 5-7. Works for her. I can’t force myself out of fed that early even though I’m zonked by 9 so barely fit it in the evening anyway.

In other news I submitted an application to my works career development fund. Fingers crossed it’s approved, as it means they will pay the course fees for 5 units if it goes through. My line manager and dept manager approved it so we will see.

#46 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

It’s week 2 and I am already behind because well life had been a big sack of sh*t this last week.

I think I am going to drop a subject and just focus on the other three.

I just want it to be done, I am on track to finish this December but it means a huge load between now and then!

#47 Kirralee2015

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

Yep, started a grad cert in special needs education last week and already behind!  I only finished by bachelor of education in December.  Maybe I should have waited a little longer before studying again...

#48 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

JF oh no I hope things improve. In saying that I have no idea who you are doing 4 subjects. I seriously struggled with 3 when I did my bachelor. But that moment when I handed in the last assignment after 6 ball busting long exhausting years? Was brilliant. (The ONLY reason I have even taken on a Masters is because it's 6 units.)

kirralee - it's a horrible feeling already feeling behind when you have barely started isn't it. I only have a year between my bachelor and starting my masters. And there are days I wonder why? Seriously why?

Edited by mayahlb, 06 March 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#49 Renovators delight

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

I feel mean posting in this thread with my fluff course, but it started back this week. I felt a bit rusty as its kind of creative writing and I've had a break from writing anything longer than posts on EB or Instagram since December, but managed to get my act together.

We need to write a 6 x 250 word pieces with accompanying reflections on the content, and two separate 750 word pieces.

I had a bad run-in with creative writing in the olden days at uni, but I did alright in the last creative writing unit in this course, so I feel OK thus far.

Its amusing me that I want to write about one person, but am constantly pulled towards another. Funny stuff, writing.

#50 Cimbom

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

I'm another one who thinks I've bitten off more than I can chew! My degree is online but has some units where you need to go to the campus in Queensland for the day. I didn't want to do this for my first unit so selected one that didn't need this and which had seemingly doable assessments. Turns out the weekly workload is quite a lot and I may have been better off picking one of the other units to start with! They say to allocate 10 hours per week to it but I'm thinking it could easily be double this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.