2019 Anyone studying this year?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#51 Staying Strange

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:49 AM

View PostBeancat, on 06 March 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I think I want to do a counseling degree.  I already have quals in commerce and education and have been working for 20 years on policy.  While it pays well and its interesting I feel my skills would be better suited to counseling but not sure how to transition across

Beancat I'm a social worker - and do a surprising amount of counselling for someone who was "never going to do counselling!"  ... what sorts of areas interest you? If you do want to go into counselling just be mindful that to be a medicare provider you need to be a psych or social worker (for the mental health plans).

Also, think about what populations you want to service and if working for yourself or someone else (eg I work in a hospital) interests you. Eg if you want to work with disadvantaged people, but want to go into private practise how are they going to access you? As fees will need to be enough to cover costs and provide you with enough to live on etc.

I'm more than happy to chat more if you like.

View Postmayahlb, on 06 March 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Well done staying strange. I’m so glad my masters is completely by coursework. I don’t think I could do a masters by research or even big project work. I always get stuck trying to find an idea.

I know what you mean - before starting in my current role, I always struggled with ideas. I actually chose a course that is masters by coursework but since starting my current job I  have enough ideas for a dozen projects so thought I'd bite the bullet and just do a small one (the research project I've opted to do is equivalent to 2 subjects, rather than my whole masters, and the rest of it coursework).

However, I am currently working with some really complex post-separated families experiencing significant (ongoing) family violence and struggling with child protection and family court as the family violence is all covert / emotional/coercive control stuff (with a history of reproductive abuse, finanical abuse, medical neglect) which is really hard to "prove" and its opened my eyes to a huge gaping hole in the current services, frameworks and literature that is currently available in this space and so I see a huge potential for me to do some really practical research in this space - which ultimately, will help my practice and in turn hopefully help these families. And after talking with my colleague, we've come up with an idea for my masters project that can then ultimately lead into a phd should I decided to do that .... which I am starting to entertain the idea of, despite trying to manage work, 3 kids, the dog etc

#52 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

Cinbom - all my units have always said 10hours a week is the minimum. Current unit states 10-16hours a week. That might be because it’s a post-grad unit though.

Sigh. We had our first online class yesterday. It was at a terrible time for me (4pm) but I could have coped with that. I was late because of trouble getting the link to the online classroom to work and then my internet dropped out only 10minutes in!!! Got back in and then computer just died. *head desk* computer is back up and working but I really need to bite the bullet and get a new one.

#53 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

How's everyone going?

I'm freaking out about assignments and getting them done in time, so I can review them and go back over them and get someone else to go over them and pick up my crappy grammar and spelling mistakes.

#54 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

I’ve got two units with the same lecturer. She’s good but the volume seems a bit nuts. Exam at the end worth 40% for each unit. A series of small assessments that are worth 2%. Three big assessments per unit.

Every week it’s 2hrs lectures per unit + 2-3 chapters or the lecture notes (50 pages reading) + activities - wikis, crosswords, watch and review a doco, etc.

#55 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

I have an online exam tomorrow, the work to do this is crazy. The lecturer keeps banging on about how we should know we need to put more in to these things, well mate it would be good if you even covered this crap in the lectures.... it’s worth 40%

Another 30% test in 10 days, closed book.

Then a 20% take home exam, which I feel ok about but who knows, maybe I am just kidding myself I have a clue..

Good luck everyone with your upcoming assessments!

#56 Cimbom

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

I have an assignment due next week which I haven't started. I've been sick for the last week and got a medical certificate for it today. Hope I can get an extension. Didn't do a good job at choosing my first unit either! It has a lot of material to go through.

#57 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Yes OMG the reading... I "caught" up end of last week, then caught a cold, did a test on Monday and then this week the reading is about triple the previous week. Easily 80 pages this week. And I'm struggling to get through it because cold = bad sinus pain and I have hayfever too. I think I am going to have to pray my computer co-operates and go hard on the weekend to try to get a head and start the report/powerpoints/design questionnaire and interview questions...

#58 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 21 March 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

How's everyone going?
Coming to the end of week 4. I have my project proposal due on Sunday. Next week is a break week, so I plan to complete 2 more assignments - one will be easy, the other is a lab report and we’re doing the lab work tomorrow. I also need to listen to the 1 lecture that I’ve missed and catch up on some reading.

Very happy with HD for my first mark back.

#59 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Well done seaprincess!!

#60 Staying Strange

Posted 22 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

A HD is amazing seaprincess! Congrats

~J_F~ hope your exam went ok.

I'm at week 7 (of 8) for this term. Got my poster presentation in on time and am very grateful to hubby for helping with the layout. I have one more assignment due (6 dates later than I thought it was due). I'm doing ok so far in this subject... sitting on 84% which hopefully I can maintain.

Good luck to everyone

#61 SeaPrincess

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:53 PM

Quick update - I spent basically the entire break week in bed sick, so now I’m behind on assignments. I’ll be working hard this week to get on top of everything.

#62 Staying Strange

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:43 AM

Oh no SeaPrincess.  That sux :( good luck getting everything done.

I handed up my final assessment for this term yesterday. Which means I'm finished term 1 now and I have a few weeks' break until term 2 starts. So now I can finish unpacking (We moved in about week 3 and I haven't had the time to finish unpacking due to the workload if my current subject!)

#63 Cimbom

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:55 AM

I have finished my assignment and sent it to one of the tutor's to review. I'm hoping they can give me some feedback. The extension I got is until Friday but I'm travelling for work for two days this week so won't have much opportunity to work on it if she says it needs a major rework. Now I need to scramble to catch up on all the readings and lectures too

#64 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

Staying Strange, enjoy the break and good luck with the unpacking!

Cimbom, fingers crossed you get good feedback.

DD has school swimming lessons for the next 2 weeks and I forgot that I volunteered to help today!

#65 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:03 PM

I am such a fraud. Spent like 2 days writing an assignment, assumed it would just about cover the bases and get me a pass mark, maybe even a credit. I got a HD.

I don't even really know what I am waffling about half the time. I get very high marks. It's baffling and I'm pretty sure I don't deserve half of them!

#66 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Well done expelli!

I’d be happy with a credit for my waffle. I wrote 550words and I’m not sure I every said anything concrete... it’s supposed to be a report so no waffle but rather concise information.

Currently my assignment due next Monday is doing my head in... I’m not sure it makes sense and I only have 500 words left in the word count and I haven’t written out the interview questions yet... or the justification for picking that role to interview or written a conclusion. And don’t even ask about the slides...

Also why does my friend doing her masters get 3000-6000 words for her assignments and I get a measly 2000 + 4 slides for an extremely complicated task and scope? 3000 words would have been perfect!

#67 Cimbom

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

Congrats Expelli! That's a great result. I'm not so confident about my assignment as the tutor never got back to me and after submitting it, I realised I didn't include some things that we discussed in a following lecture. I've got an assignment coming up worth 40% that I feel less confident about so I'll have to see how I go. I got a bit anxious last night wondering if it was a mistake to start studying again as with work, I have little time for much else and I might not even do that well :shrug:

#68 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

Oh no cinbom, I hate that feeling. I made a point not to read the discussion threads in the forum regarding assignments this time as it always caused me stress and I end up overthinking it.

I scrapped half my assignment because I wasn't happy with it and if it was addressing the actual point of the task. And it was written essay style rather then short and to the point of the report format I'm supposed to be using. Weirdly I'm actually enjoying the assignment now I've finally figured out what it is about. Well except for the slides, I haven't even started them yet and have no idea what to put on them, which considering they are worth 7.5/40 is not good.

#69 Cimbom

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

huge surprise - I just got my grades for the assignment and got 17/20! Such a relief. I don't feel so silly for returning to study now :)

#70 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Well done Cinbom! That’s a fantastic mark.

I got an assignment back today. Has the usual self doubt, convinced I was going to have a failed mark or done terrible and not wanting to open the grading.

32/40. With some odd comments about some passages being too academically written and theoretical. In my undergrad I always got the opposite :lol: Now I just need to catch up (I’m a week behind at the moment), get in front and start on the next assignment due in just over 4 weeks. Which is worth 50%. If I get 35-43 I’ll finish with a D, if I get 44+ I’ll get a HD. I’ll do my best and see how it goes.

#71 Renovators delight

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

I am hardcore procrastinating right now. I got an extension, assignment is due tomorrow evening, I haven't properly started. I have performance anxiety I think - I did a lot better in the last assignment than I expected, and I worry that the marker will have high expectations that I can't live up to!

I would pass the unit even without handing the assignment in, I think, but I *want* to do it (it's creative writing and I want to tell the story) but I just can't.

Argh.

#72 Cimbom

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

Great job mayahlb! I've just handed in the major assignment for the one unit I'm doing so now have six weeks to catch up on lectures and readings in preparation for the exam.

#73 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Renovators delight I am fantastic at procrastinating. Like really really good at it. What I did helps sometimes is setting a timer for say 10 mins and just sitting down and writing something. Anything. Usually that will get me going and I don’t end up trying to write a cohesive assignment 6 hours before it’s due (yeah that happened a few times).

#74 Renovators delight

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 02 May 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

Renovators delight I am fantastic at procrastinating. Like really really good at it. What I did helps sometimes is setting a timer for say 10 mins and just sitting down and writing something. Anything. Usually that will get me going and I don’t end up trying to write a cohesive assignment 6 hours before it’s due (yeah that happened a few times).

I will get to that point later this evening I think, thank you for the reminder. I am currently 'researching' :rolleyes: which involves me going down a lot of rabbit holes, trying to confirm a few things about locations and dates, and deciding how much I can base in reality.

#75 Manicmum

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

I have an 2 essays due tomorrow, one I need to proof and the other not began, not even reading. Then another due Sunday. The school holidays really messed me up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.