Seeding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hopeful2016

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Does anyone have any experience in opting for this/ carrying it out? Am in 2 minds whether to do this in my second elective c section (first was breech)- was originally planning to but my OB says recent research shows it is risky. Keen to hear others views and experiences.

#2 babybug15

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

There's no supportive evidence it works to increase "good" bacteria, but there is a risk of harmful bacteria and viruses being transferred to the baby.

https://www.eurekale...f-scb053018.php

https://www.sciencea...probably-unsafe

#3 Steggles66

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

I did this for both my caesareans. I didn’t actually realise there was a term for it! To me it made sense that bubs was possibly missing out on certain bacteria due to not achieving a natural birth so wanted to minimise this. Having said that though, my brother who is an OB said it was a ridiculous thing to do.

#4 Future-self

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

I looked too as I had an elective caeser and came across the concept. To be blunt: There is clear evidence for it possibly making your baby sick and no evidence of any benefit. You cannot replicate the complcated processes of labour and a vaginal birth with rubbing vaginal fluid in your babies mouth ;)  I would put all efforts into your baby receiving colustrum.

Edited by Future-self, 05 January 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

Some babies spend just less than a minute in the vagina, some babies born by C/S after mum has reached full dilatation will be exposed to these same bacteria for longer.

I am a serious disbeliever because it makes so little sense that they would only get the 'good' bacteria.

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

It’s very interesting .

The antibiotic theory makes sense to me .

I have had 5 kids .

4 vaginal , I emergency c section .

I also have two children who suffered  from eczema . The two who who have suffered from eczema were exposed to antibiotics during labour. One due to c section , the other due to strep B positive.
Wouldn’t be surprised if this mucked around with establishing their microbe colonies in their gut leading to allergies like eczema . Actually those doing this I hope they know their status of strep B . Wouldn’t want to be rubbing it all over a newborns mouth !
Actually those having a a elective do they get the swab and be tested ? I know they get antibiotics during a c section but the timing might be important .

Edited by Oriental lily, 07 January 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#7 nasty buddha

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Does antibiotics cause eczema?

#8 nup

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

I was more of a hippy in my prenatal days and each birth tried to be as pure as possible. But then I was just too lazy and actually grossed out by the idea once I hit CS territory. If you're that way inclined you could be unknowingly passing on yeast infection. The bacteria on your nipple and colostrum is a great start and from there  they will be under constant microbial attack to build strong healthy
immunity. Vaccination schedule will strengthen them infinitely more. Babies put gross stuff from the floor when they start mouthing. Let them play in dirt and grow up in a less sterile environment with a wide variety of foods.

#9 Future-self

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

View Postnasty buddha, on 07 January 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Does antibiotics cause eczema?
To be simple- No.
BUT , Gut health has a definite impact on immunity and therefore autoimmune conditions such as eczema are implicated. On it’s own though, a course of antibiotics at birth or through breastmilk won’t cause eczema. It’s much more complicated than that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.