Reading Challenge 2019

• Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Ianthe normally starts these but I’m not sure if she’s still around.

Who’s in for 2019?

Post your reading goal and I’ll try to keep this post updated. You decide what counts as a book whether it be novels, nonfiction, audio books, coffee table book, and so on.

My goal is thirty again this year. I managed it easily last year so it’s a nice, comfortable number for me.

Rowenas Necklace: 20
OscarAndTilly: 150
FuzzyChocolateToes: 20
Mishu: 40
jojonbeanie: 52
Threetwoone: 24
Hands Up: 24
Peahen: 20
cardamom: 26
Hills mum Bec: 45
LettyRaines: 200
71Cath: 15
MarigoldMadge: 52
Tinsillitis: 30
alchetta: 12
Nasty Bunsen: 25
emma_jean: 24
monet: 55
Sancti-claws: 36
Lou-bags: 26
mayahlb: 100
foom: 50
Riotproof: 40
Toomanybooks: 150
Weavile: 52
SoLongMarianne: 200
kimasa: 365
Astrocyte: 52 and 20,000 pages
Lady Sybil Vimes: 30

Edited by Lady Sybil Vimes, 22 January 2019 - 10:49 AM.

#2 Astrocyte

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

I'd love to join. I completely failed my reading challenge last year. Only managed to read 6 books, 3 of which I had previously read (and loved). I brought a lot more than 6 books though so I'll have no difficulty finding books to read.  

My goal for this year is 52 and 20,000 pages. Same as my goal last year but hopefully I manage to achieve it this year.

Edited by Astrocyte, 04 January 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#3 kimasa

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

I'm going for 365 books in 365 days. Most of those will be books for work, so junior, YA and GN.

#4 SoLongMarianne

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

I would love to join in! I am a bit of an EB lurker, but followed this thread last year. I am aiming for 200- I am a librarian, so it will include a lot of children’s and YA.
So far in 2019 I have read
1. Being Miss Nobody by Tamsin Winter
2. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriaty
Currently reading The Secrets of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange

#5 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

Great to see everyone’s goals. I’ll keep updating as more people post.

My first book for 2019 is Jog On by Bella Mackie. Bit of an impulse purchase about a memoir of jogging and anxiety. Turned out to be an honest, enjoyable, equally sad and fun book about living with crippling anxiety and how jogging helped but didn’t fix it.

#6 Weavile

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

I'll join. My goal is a book a week.

Currently working on Gnomon, but finding it quite difficult. It has a different typeface to show differing perspective, but my eyes just hate one of them. I hate dropping books, especially when the story seems great.

#7 Toomanybooks

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

150 for me, I almost did it last year with 144 books.

This year so far:
1) Milkman by Anna Burns
2) Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

#8 Riotproof

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

I’m aiming for 40.

1. Fantastic beasts screenplay

#9 foom

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

I'm aiming for 50. I've printed the Pop Sugar challenge prompts (mentioned in another thread) and I'm going to start there to pick books.

So far
(1) Carpe Juggulum. One of my favourite Terry Pratchett books. Someone else left it lying in the lounge room so I read it. 😁

(2) Agatha Raison and the Witches Tree by M C Beaton. I picked this one up for the amateur detective prompt but I forgot Agatha had opened her own detective agency so not an amateur!

#10 Riotproof

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Which one are you doing the practchett one for? I’m going to try reading the Colour of Magic again. I do find sometimes,my frame of mind influences how I feel about books and tv.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

RP I didn’t like colour of magic. The witches and death ones from disc world though I absolutely loved.

My goal is 100. Whether I get near it or not will depend on how organised I am as I’m doing the whole study thing again this year.

So far I’ve read:

1. Cheetahs never win / RJ Blain
2. Queen Jane (#2 AI destiny) / Timothy Ellis
3. Sin and Magic (#2 Demigod of San Francisco) / KF Breene
4. Hunter’s Terminus (The Hunter Imperium #2) / Timothy Ellis

#12 Riotproof

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

I always think you should start at the beginning. Maybe I’m wrong.

#13 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

I'm thinking I'll re-read all the Discworld books (or as many as I can) this year. It's been a while since I've done that. I just bought The Colour of Magic again with the new cover so I'm going to start there and go chronologically.

I always recommend Mort to new Pratchett readers. I feel like that's where he jumped up another level from fun parodist of genre cliches to being fully in control of his plotting and characterisation.

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

My goal for last year was 26 and I didn’t make it. So I’m going to keep it the same for this year and see how I go.

#1: The Missing Pieces of Sophie McCarthy, BM Carroll (narrated by a small cast of narrators, which I didn’t enjoy to begin with but quite liked by the end). I have mixed feelings about this book. It was gripping, but didn’t quite hit the spot for me in same way I can’t explain. Also a bit of a cheat as I started this a few days before 2019 began... sorry ;)

#15 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

I have no idea what to set as a goal?  Some weeks I can plough through and some weeks not.

I will give myself a modest 3 a month goal - so 36 and see how we go.

I haven't actually finished any this year, but have 2 on the go.

#16 monet

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

I'm back in.  I was just short of my 2018 goal so think I will make it 55 this year.

#1 The Favourite Sister - Jessica Knoll

Thanks for organising LSV.

#17 emma_jean

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

My goal is 24... couple of books a month should be doable!

#1 Atomic Habits - James Clear.

#18 mayahlb

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 04 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

I’ve read most of the discworld books and I don’t think it really matters. He has, series inside the series, so those ones are best to follow but most of them you can just dive in. I think it took a few books before he truly found his groove. I also like the ones of the police force in Ankh-Morpork. I haven’t read any in years I should go back and read them again.

#19 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

I’m in for another year, failed miserably last year - I blame it on returning to work and not having a holiday - so I’ll aim for 25 this year.

#20 alchetta

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

I'm going to join this year. Hoping for 12 as I only just read my first novel since I was pregnant (DD nearly 2 did NOT sleep).
I'm back working 4 days so I think it'll be a struggle to even do one a month but I'll try!

1. Normal People by Sally Rooney

Edited by alchetta, 05 January 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#21 Tinsilitis

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

I'm in! My goal is 30 this year.

#22 MarigoldMadge

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

I'm in - I'm going to do the 52 book challenge - like the recent Guardian article, I've always thought of myself as a reader but realised I haven't really read enough for some years.

Book 1 - Michelle Obama's biography - about 40% in - it's a cracking and easy read.

#23 71Cath

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

I’m in!  My goal last year was 15, and I smashed it reading 33.  Goal for this year will be 25 I think.

Already managed number 1 - Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer.  Loved it.

#24 foom

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 04 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

I usually think this way when I read a series but not in the case of Discworld. The first two are two of the weakest books in the series. I started with Soul Music and that had me hooked.

I recommend people start with Wyrd Sisters, Men at Arms, Soul Music or The Wee Free Men. Or if they are someone really not sure about this sort of writing then Hogfather and fill them in on the background.

Has anyone else loved the Discworld and struggled with the Long Earth series?

btw Carpe Juggulum got put down as the based on a mythical idea, etc prompt.

EFS

Edited by foom, 05 January 2019 - 02:35 PM.

#25 rollinginthepages

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

Edited by rollinginthepages, 06 September 2019 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.