Reading Challenge 2019

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#526 Lunagirl

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

#55 Eleanor Oliphaunt is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman.
I really loved this. Do yourself a favour and pick it up if you haven't already.

#56 The Love of Stones - Tobias Hill
I didn't love this. It's about a woman who is obsessed with a particular jewel. It takes place in several locations around the world and across two time periods. It had all the ingredients of a really engaging novel, but I felt distant from all the characters and couldn't get into it. I slogged through because I needed to tick it off for the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge and I'd already abandoned one book of this prompt.

Toomanybooks, did you enjoy The Night Circus? It's in my TBR pile.

#527 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:52 PM

#92: The Couple on Cedar Close – Anna-Lou Weatherley

More domestic suspense. Quite a good one. Definite "put your brain in Park and just read" sort of stuff.

#93: The Silver Eyes: Five Nights at Freddy’s 1 – Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisely

Yeah okay look I make no pretensions about being particularly literary these days. This was DD2's fault, she expressed an interest in these novels and I decided I'd check them out first. I have decided that she is too young to read them but I am not, and it turns out my former teenage self was quite right about liking teen horror fluff crap. This is quite good teen horror fluff crap, too, with pacing that's clearly from Cawthon, even if you're not actually playing the game and noping out the moment Freddy leaves the stage like some allegedly grownup women I could mention who are not at all scared of evil animatronics, no, not at all.

#94: Remembering Anita Cobby – Mark Morri

This was interesting. I'm not for the most part really into true crime because I feel it's usually disrespectful to the victims (usually women) but this one wasn't. Anita felt present in the book. And she should absolutely be remembered.

#95: Game Changers: From Minecraft to Misogyny – Dan Golding and Leena Van Deventer

Great discussion of Gamergate and the general background radiation of misogyny in computer games, no matter how much I love them. Strongly recommended.

#96: The Twisted Ones: Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 – Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisely

Shaddap okay

#97: The Swimming Pool – Louise Candlish

Another good one from her.

#528 monet

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

#57 Rain Dogs - Adrian McKinty

#58 The Place on Dalhousie - Melina Marchetta

#529 Riotproof

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:35 AM

Finished!!! The bride test by Helen Hoang for a book with a wedding. Could also be for the own voices prompt.

I am really liking her style, I’m going to read the third one I think. This book was a lot better than the Kiss Quotient and I really liked that too.

#530 cardamom

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

#26 - Coming Clean, Kimberley Rae Miller. A memoir of growing up with parents who are hoarders. Not the most well-written book I've ever read but far out it hit close to home.

#531 hills mum bec

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

#34/45 Private India - James Patterson & Ashwin Sanghi

#532 71Cath

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:01 AM

#58 2028 by Ken Saunders.  Not as funny as advertised.

#59 488 Rules for Life by Kitty Flanagan.  Absolutely hilarious.

#533 Sancti-claws

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:48 AM

#59 The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty

Interesting as it made me quite uncomfortable in places - all wrapped up in the end, characters weren't too horrible.

#534 Lou-bags

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:19 AM

#28 Sibanda and the Rainbird, CM Elliott

#535 Toomanybooks

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

131) The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer
132) Harmless by Julienne Van Loon

#536 Toomanybooks

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:05 PM

133) The Twisted Ones by T Kingfisher
134) Late in the Day by Tessa Hadley
135) The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

#537 monet

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

#59 Triptych - Karin Slaughter

#538 Toomanybooks

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

136) Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman
137) A Month of Sunday’s by Liz Byrski

#539 Sancti-claws

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

#59.75 (and I realise now I am never going to plough through the other .25, so this is a joke post as I have part-read other books and put down because they didn't grab me) - My Story by Louise Sauvage (with help) (which didn't help)

The only reason that I persevered is because it has been beside my bed for 4 years since someone gave it to DH for Christmas and I felt I had to read it out of obligation.  That, and I kept forgetting to go to the library to replenish my larder.

She is an awesome athlete - but it was not a biography (or autobiography) that gripped in any sense of the word.

Thank goodness I got to the library!!!

#540 Lou-bags

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:07 AM

#29 Me, Elton John (audiobook version, read by Taron Egerton- who did a brilliant job IMO)

#541 Toomanybooks

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

138) The Cost of Living by Deborah Levy

#542 Toomanybooks

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:33 AM

139) Lullaby by Leïla Slimani
140) Lie With Me by Philippe Besson

#543 Riotproof

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

I’ve just downloaded a whole heap of cozy Christmas stories free on Amazon. I really should remember to check there more often.

#544 sunshine_days

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

Ops haven't been on here for ages,,,,  I am up #90

#26 A light on the hill, Connilyn Cossette.

#27 The Priest, Francine Rivers.

#28 The prophet, Francine Rivers.

#29 Seagrass Pier, Colleen Coble.

#30 The Well, Step Landsem

#31 Love, like you've never been hurt, Jentzen Franklin.

#32 The midwife, Jolina Peterson.

#33 The outcast, Jolin aPeterson

#34 The hidewaway, Lauren Denton.

#35 Daughter of the regiment, Jackie French.

#36 Dining with joy, Rachel Hauck.

#37 Skin Deep, Lauren Jarrat.8

#38 Whitesands of summer, JH Fletcher

#39 A mothers promise, Dilly Court

#40 Mrs Kelly  Grantlee

#545 monet

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

#60 The Choke - Sophie Laguna

#546 Riotproof

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:41 PM

^I really liked another one of hers something about the eyes of the sheep was the title I think.

#547 sunshine_days

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:00 PM

#41 The view from rainshadow bay, Colleen Coble
#42 Ellie Pride, Annie Groves
#43 No one ever asked, Katie Ganshert
#44 A month of Sundays, Liz Bryski
#45 Day 9 at Worreen, Rob Hunter
#46 Two weeks, Karen Kingsbury
#47 The bridge, Karen Kingsbury
#48 Facing the flame, Jackie French
#49 The last dingo summer, Jackie French
#50 Redemption, Karen Kingsbury

#51 Remember, Karen Kingsbury
#52 The 3 Miss Allens,Victoria Purman
#53 Mackenzie Crossing, Kay Dobbie
#54 Mothering Sunday, Rosie Goodwin
#55 The lily and the rose, Jackie French
#56 The comfort of water, Maya Ward
#57 Breaking the Spell, Jane Stork
#58 The last of the Bonegilla girls, Victoria Purman
#59 What happens when you say yes to God, Lysa Ter Keurst
#60 Beneath the apple leaves, Harmony Verna

#61 The girl under the olive tree, Leah Fleming
#62 How the light gets in, Joline Peterson
#63 The baby farmers, Annie Cossens
#64 Barbed wire and cherry blossoms, Anita Heiss
#65 Engraved on teh heart, Tara Johnson
#66 Dare to be kind, Lizzie Velsaquez

#548 Lou-bags

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:14 AM

#30 The Widow, Fiona Barton (audiobook read by Clare Corbett)

Goodreads reviews are mixed but I found this book quite gripping. Listened every moment I could and finished it quickly. I though the narrator was excellent.

Will probably use this for my debut novel prompt for popsugar 2019, I’d planned on something else for that but not sure I’ll finish that one in time.

#549 71Cath

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

#60 The Trauma Cleaner by Sarah Krasnostein.  I didn't enjoy this at all.

#550 Lou-bags

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

71Cath, on 10 December 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

#60 The Trauma Cleaner by Sarah Krasnostein.  I didn't enjoy this at all.

No? I’ve just read it recently. I’m conflicted on it. What didn’t you like about it?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.