• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#76 Sancti-claws

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

#3 The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins

#77 cardamom

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:30 AM

#5 - Small Spaces, Sarah Epstein.

Australian young adult psychological thriller/suspense. Oh - my - gosh, this had me on the edge of my seat. I'm lying here in bed with my heart pounding after staying up late to finish it. Really suspenseful, nicely written, just the right amount of teenage angst - winner.

Now if only I could get to sleep!

#78 monet

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

#5 Nowhere Child - Christian White

#79 OscarAndTilly

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

#7 The Family Next Door - Sally Hepworth

#80 Toomanybooks

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

6) The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
7) Too Much Lip by Melissa Lucashenko
8) House of Names by Colm Tóibín

#81 Hands Up

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

#2 - Transcription by Kate Atkinson

Another great novel of hers. I’m going to have to read it again to pick up all the clues (a mystery set during WWII in London).

#82 Lunagirl

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

I’m in and am going to aim for 50 books. I’m also going to do the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge.

So far I have:
1. The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
2. Milkman - Anna Burns

#83 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

2. The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. Hard going at times (graphic details of horrible crimes). My heart was pounding after the first chapter and I had to take a break from it. Once I got past that, it was engrossing and I didn't want to put it down.

#84 Riotproof

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostLunagirl, on 20 January 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

I’m in and am going to aim for 50 books. I’m also going to do the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge.

So far I have:
1. The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
2. Milkman - Anna Burns

Which prompts did you use?

#85 Rowenas necklace

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

I'm in, I'll set my target for this year at 20.

Currently reading 1. Once I was a princess by Jacqueline Pascarl. So far really enjoying it, I wasn't sure what to expect but it's frank and funny despite covering some really heavy, heartbreaking topics right from the start.

#86 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

#1 Nutshell by Ian McEwan
#2 Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch
#3 Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

#87 Lunagirl

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 January 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

Which prompts did you use?

They were both in my TBR pile so I just read them  and hoped they would fit.

The Final Empire fits with the superpower one, but Milkman doesn't go with any of them.

ETA: Still worth reading though!

Edited by Lunagirl, 21 January 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#88 Riotproof

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

You could use it as one you meant to read last year? Or one you’d like to see as a movie? Or the two word title?

Edited by Riotproof, 21 January 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#89 monet

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

#6 Land Before Avocado - Richard Glover

#90 cardamom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

#6 - Snap, Belinda Bauer.

Really enjoyed this.

#91 Mishu

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

#1   A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult
#2   All We Ever Wanted - Emily Giffin
#3   The Giver - Lois Lowry
#4   Year One -Nora Roberts
#5   If Cats Disappeared from the World - Genki Kawamura

Of these, The Giver and If Cats Disappeared were the best. The others were a bit meh.

#92 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Finally finished

#3 - Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty.

Look, I didn't find it as bad as others have said - maybe I haven't read enough of her books to be tired of her?  Its not up with some of the books I read last year, but no doubt it won't be the worst book.

Perhaps because I read it on the back of my previous tome, it seemed far lighter?

#93 Riotproof

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Sancti, What Alice Forgot is my very favourite of hers.
I think she just put too many characters in. Plus I thought the ending was ridiculous.

#94 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

I thought the ending was a play on the romantic writer living her ultimate fantasy...

#95 Riotproof

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

Maybe. I don’t know. It’s not usual for me to really hate so many characters.

#96 Lunagirl

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

View PostMishu, on 23 January 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

#1   A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult
#2   All We Ever Wanted - Emily Giffin
#3   The Giver - Lois Lowry
#4   Year One -Nora Roberts
#5   If Cats Disappeared from the World - Genki Kawamura

Of these, The Giver and If Cats Disappeared were the best. The others were a bit meh.

I loved The Giver. I read it as a kid and was worried it wouldn't age well when I read it again as an adult but it really did.

#97 Lou-bags

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:10 PM

#3 Lighthouse Bay, Kimberley Freeman (narrated by Caroline Lee)- this will be my popsugar challenge ‘two word title’

I really liked this book. I was a bit hooked. It was set in the past and present - and I liked both stories. I’m glad I listened rather than read or I’d have skipped ahead to satisfy my curiosity a number of times and perhaps ruined it for myself.

I now have 3 other books on loan with BorrowBox and can’t decide which to begin next...

(Edited to change the book number from 2 to 3, I had forgotten I was reading the 3rd for this year haha. Also, chose my next book, have started ‘the museum of modern love’. Not a book that would have ordinarily grabbed my attention so this one is thanks to #popsugarreadingchallenge)

Edited by Lou-bags, 24 January 2019 - 01:45 AM.

#98 OscarAndTilly

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

#8 Anne Frank - the diary of a Young Girl

#99 Lunagirl

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 January 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

You could use it as one you meant to read last year? Or one you’d like to see as a movie? Or the two word title?

Good idea. I think I’ll use it as one I’d like to see as a movie, though a large part of the appeal is her use of language.

I got it for Christmas and knew I wouldn’t get to it before NY so the 2018 one doesn’t really fit. And it’s only a one-word title (I was cursing her for not calling it ‘The Milkman’ at one point!)

3. Nine Perfect Strangers - Liane Moriarty

I went into this with low expectations after some of the previous posts. It definitely wasn’t as good as some of her previous ones, but overall it was a fun, light summer read. I read a borrowed copy though - I’m glad I didn’t buy it.

#100 OscarAndTilly

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

#9 The lost Man - Jane Harper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.