2 year old dropping day naps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bono25

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Hi Everyone

I posted last year about DD, who just turned 2 in October, and how she constantly fights sleep and gets out of bed a million times at night before she went to sleep.  She used to be good at going to sleep during the day, was usually asleep around 12-30 or so, which has gradually moved out to 1.30.  In the last week, the only way I have got her to sleep is by rocking her, which is not something I want to do all the time.  At daycare, she will usually sleep, but every couple of weeks will skip one and just hangs out quietly.  She is still very good when she doesn't sleep, it doesn't seem to change her tanties at all, and she will usually eat.  She's a right pain at night, won't go to sleep until 10, and I end up rocking her.  She skipped her nap yesterday, and I rocked her to sleep coz she fights it so hard, even when she was clearly tired.  She lies there holding her eyebrows up so her eyes won't close.
So I'm thinking of just not fighting her on the naps anymore and moving bedtime to 6.45-7 (normally just after 7).  Anybody else been through this?  Is it worth it to keep fighting her, or just let it go?  I'm also leaning towards getting her a normal bed, she's in a toddler bed at the moment and she keeps trying to lie sideways and slides herself out of bed (and tries to fall asleep on the floor, in between banging on the door and yelling for me).

Help!!

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

My son dropped his day nap at 2ish. And he went to bed earlier instead, and maybe had a nap every 3-4 days to catch up a bit. So that part is normal.

As for the fighting sleep at night time, not much advice here. DS2 used to muck around at bed time, so we started just locking his door and leaving him to it. (Highly recommend the door monkey child proof door latch) Eventually he gave in, and now goes off to sleep somewhat peacefully every night at 7ish. But that method is not for everyone.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 07 January 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#3 Mose

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 07 January 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

My son dropped his day nap at 2ish. And he went to bed earlier instead, and maybe had a nap every 3-4 days to catch up a bit. So that part is normal.

As for the fighting sleep at night time, not much advice here. DS2 used to muck around at bed time, so we started just locking his door and leaving him to it. (Highly recommend the door monkey child proof door latch) Eventually he gave in, and now goes off to sleep somewhat peacefully every night at 7ish. But that method is not for everyone.

Yeah,  our DS used to muck around a lot.  We also went with leaving him to it, ont he basis that no-one ever went to sleep as a result of anyone yelling "go to sleep" and by that time of the evening DH and I were really struggling to be gracious in dealing with it.

To be honest, he is still a shocker.  Just turned 8.  Sometimes he is still awake 1.5 - 2 hours after lights out (8:30).  But I have shocking insomnia and so does my mother before me.  I really don't know if we had done things differently in the toddler years we would have got a different outcome.

However, I also don't know if it matters.  He is bright, alert, and generally happy (albeit with more tantrums than you might hope for an 8 y.o) and dong really well at school.

The trouble with kids is there is no control group!

#4 BBC

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

Smack on 24 months was when my eldest stopped all her day naps, just as I brought her baby brother home from hospital. I was not well pleased. In your situation, I'd let them go.

She also mucked around at night and would stand in the passage peering out. From memory I think we got cranky and also did some ignoring. Not sure if that was the best approach though!

#5 Riotproof

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

I think you’ll find night time a bit easier without a nap. Possibly bring bedtime 30 minutes to an hour earlier.

And introduce quiet time with books and puzzles, audiobooks etc sitting in her room. Even if it takes a while, if you persist she may occasionally nap anyway, but it buys you 30 minutes or so time.

#6 Bono25

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, she pulls all her books out, turns the lamp on and sit in the rocking chair reading spot books......so frustrating.  But I think you're right, we might aim for quiet time and see what happens.  DS is 4 and will still sleep at least once a week, hopefully she's the same.

Thanks everyone :)

#7 Nobodyelse

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

My DD dropped her day naps at around 18 months. I wish I could say it made her night times better but no. She still fought.

But without the naps, at least I was only fighting her once a day.

#8 Lou-bags

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

My DS1 fought naps in a big way around 2 (and in a smaller but still annoying way for the rest of the time lol). For the period he dropped them, I brought bedtime earlier or he’d have more trouble settling. Then I resorted to driving him or walking him to sleep in the pram. He needed the nap, and I needed the break. I preferred the break and the later bedtime at that stage as I was pregnant and then had a newborn. The daytime break was bliss I needed to recharge and the later bedtime meant I could have some time with him after his baby brother was down for the first part of the night.

He continued to nap until 3.5yo (dropped them at childcare for the most part at 3).

I’d be tempted to push through for a bit in case she goes back to napping easily again- this was a common theme in my mother’s group. A brief period of refusal around 2.

Good luck!

#9 lozoodle

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

I just went with it with number 3, life got so much easier. Sometimes she'd fall asleep if we were out and about, sometimes not, but bedtime was a lot easier and life was more simple too. I don't miss day naps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.