Sleeping arrangements

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 kadoodle

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Five kids, four bedrooms here.
16yo DD has her own room, as does 10yo DD. 14yo DS has his stuff in the bedroom he “shares” with 7yo DS and 5yo DS, but steeps in his tent with his cat most nights.

#27 bluesilk

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

Given your youngest is only 5, I think you have a lot of years ahead before you become empty nesters! Cross that bridge when you come to it. I would go for separate rooms if you can afford it based on my experience growing up. I had to share a room with a much younger sibling in a small house with one living area. Not great when you're studying for HSC and you get kicked out to shared living area bec sibling has to go to bed at 8pm! My father always used the excuse that the kids would 'move out of home soon', so there was no point upgrading. Aside from the fact that I felt forced to move out early bec as a young adult, I didn't want to share a room with a kid-sister anymore, my younger bro didn't leave home until he was in his early 30s!

#28 **Xena**

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

We have a very small 2 bedroom with a small study sized room. My 3 boys share the biggest bedroom and my girls share the other bedroom and we have the smallest room (though in reality the 1yo and 3yo sleep with me :lol: ).

We are currently adding a granny flat in the backyard though for our 3 eldest. I figure it will work well if they stay at home until adulthood and if they don't then maybe we can AirBnB it or something and our main house never feels too big :)

Edited by **Xena**, 25 May 2019 - 08:31 AM.

#29 My4beautifulboys

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for your sharing your suggestions that is really helpful.
We are planning on each child having a bedroom each. Especially now that two are teenagers we feel that it’s nice for them to have their own space at times. At some stage in the near future I will probably also need an office. So when one of the children have left home we can convert it to an office then. I’m just trying to get my head around a floor plan for a 5 bedroom house, it is very big.

#30 BECZ

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Friends of ours built a 5 x 3. They were on acres so had the flexibility and how they did it was a 2 x 2 and off to the side were the other 3 beds, 1 living and 1 bath.  All they had to do was close one door and all the extra rooms were shut off.  So for everyday life they had their room, a study, a bath plus an ensuite, laundry and good sized living areas.  

They did it this way as their kids were in their late teens when they built, but wanted the space for when the kids came home and grandkids down the track, but didn't have to heat/cool or regularly clean the extra space.  It was just an extra wing that was typically shut off.

Edited by BECZ, 22 May 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#31 My4beautifulboys

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

BECZ That sounds like an excellent idea. Our children are also getting older. So that is something we are also considering as well.
Then if when the do leave home and return with no doubt with partners and grandchildren they can live separately. But still all be together. I wanted to attach a floor plan of some thing similar to our proposed build.
Could some one please give me a tip on how to upload a file. As it doesn’t appear to load directly from photos on my phone?

#32 Caribou

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

My mother refuses to downsize in case we move back home.

Over my dead body. Neither I or my sibling have lived in the home for over 15 years.

I think it depends on the dynamics. We’re extending our house to suit adult kids, but more like uni adult kids with possibility at one stage they might stay while looking for a home to buy otherwise I don’t Really want to encourage too much stay as long as you need atmosphere unless it’s needed. I love my children dearly, but I think they’d thrive so much better outside of our house. Spare rooms are great, but not too many spare rooms! All that cleaning! 😩

I should add, we’re putting more emphasis on living room spaces than bedrooms. In our family bedrooms are for sleeping in and quiet time. Living rooms can be noisy/quiet. We will have 3 living spaces. The main one, and two quiet smaller ones. I don’t think it’s the Bedrooms to be worried about, but just places to hang out. If your bedrooms are decent in size focus on the living areas.

Edited by Caribou, 23 May 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#33 Jingleflea

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

I've only got one DD and a tiny house so our plan is a granny flat in the backyard that she'll move into in 10 years or so(she's just turned 9) .

#34 My4beautifulboys

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

Update; Just thought I’d call back in to say we’ve finally decided on a new build, it will be a 5 by 2 home. From our now 3 by 1. With a separate living area for the children, close to there bedrooms and away from our lounge room. So as they become older they can have their own space, if they like too. It’s been a big decision and a lot of decisions along the way. But feeling happier now. Our youngest Ds will actually have his bedroom closer to ours and the main living area, it’s probably a slightly smaller room compared to the others. So that one day when one of the children leave home, that will then become my office.
Do you think that sounds good?

#35 BECZ

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:18 AM

Sounds perfect to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.