Help me think outside the square please - tech related

16 replies to this topic

#1 JustBeige

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

OK, long story short.  My samsung tab died.  Got a new one from HN.
Called telco got a good deal on sim card only plan.

Sim comes today.  spent 10mins trying to poke Sim into reader slot before dragging out the instructions.
Realised that the flipping tablet doesnt have a sim card slot.  it is Wi-Fi only! *lots of swearing*

Im loathe to take the tablet back as a new one will cost me more (plus I  Ilike the way this one works)

I cant change my plan as it was a 12mth one.  - I was thinking longer term when I got it . for when we have to move out so have increased significantly my GB limit.,

Tablet is also Bluetooth enabled.

Our thinking is stick new sim in old Tablet and cart both around when needed outside of house.

We have multiple old phones but all of them are telstra locked and Im NOT going there again.

DS suggested buying a cheap and nasty tab off Ebay.

Are we overlooking something bleedingly obvious??

#2 Flaxen

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

I have a Wi-Fi only tablet and I use my own phone's data when im out. It auto connects so im not faffing about.
Cancel the telcos data plan for the tablet and up the data on your personal phone.

Upping your plan is not a problem if your in a 12mth contract. It's downgrading that they won't let you do.

Edited by Flaxen, 08 January 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#3 BadCat

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

DC1 tells me you can get a thing called pocket wifi which you put the sim in and it works like a mobile hotspot for 3 or 4G.  Link your new tab to that, and bingo.  It's only small so easier to carry around that a second tab.

There is also apparently lots of ways on the internet to unlock phones from telstra.

#4 Inkogneatoh

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

I could be remembering things wrong, but I suspect that Samsung don't do Sim card tablets. So that would cut out the swap it over. Samsung allow memory cards.

Apple do have sim card slots, and that's the reason Mum stuck with an ipad, despite it costing a chunk more. She couldn't rely on the wifi in hospital, and the syncing ot her phone isn't feasible with her.

I prefer the working of my Samsung and have just sucked up no net when she's been in hospital in Brisbane.

#5 Serinitynow

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Get a better data plan from Telstra and run the tablet off the hotspot when out and about. Only sane option apart from returning tablet.

#6 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

I dont know but something like this?

https://www.simore.c...-clips-box.html

Please let us know if it works!! I'd love to have separate numbers/SIMs on my phone!!

#7 Sancti-claws

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

Has it a usb port?  Can you plug in a dongle?

#8 JustBeige

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

View PostBadCat, on 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

DC1 tells me you can get a thing called pocket wifi which you put the sim in and it works like a mobile hotspot for 3 or 4G.  Link your new tab to that, and bingo.  It's only small so easier to carry around that a second tab.

There is also apparently lots of ways on the internet to unlock phones from telstra.
Love you!  thanks so much.  Thats what I was hoping.  Your DC1 is all kinds of awesome <3.
Can you please PM me link to one so I know what I am looking at.

Re telstra - really,  I will need a link for that,  All I could find was the 'call telstra' links (then my brain exploded... see previous thread)  :D

View PostInkogneatoh, on 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

I could be remembering things wrong, but I suspect that Samsung don't do Sim card tablets. So that would cut out the swap it over. Samsung allow memory cards.

I prefer the working of my Samsung and have just sucked up no net when she's been in hospital in Brisbane.
  My Samsungs have all had SIM card slots. Its only this latest one that doesnt.

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 08 January 2019 - 05:16 PM, said:

I dont know but something like this?

https://www.simore.c...-clips-box.html

Please let us know if it works!! I'd love to have separate numbers/SIMs on my phone!!
  That looks very cool too.  Thank you :)

OMG,  I think I have a dual sim slot on my phone, though Im wondering if the data plan will work ..... hmmm...

View PostSancti-claws, on 08 January 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

Has it a usb port?  Can you plug in a dongle?
  No unfortunately not.  I have to wifi or bluetooth.

thanks everyone. EB saves me again <3

View PostSerinitynow, on 08 January 2019 - 05:14 PM, said:

Get a better data plan from Telstra and run the tablet off the hotspot when out and about. Only sane option apart from returning tablet.
Telstra suck and their plans suck!

But thanks for your suggestion :D

#9 Inkogneatoh

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostJustBeige, on 08 January 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

My Samsungs have all had SIM card slots. Its only this latest one that doesnt.
OK. I wasn't real sure, and it may have just been from the latest model when I went to replace Mum's ipad and was hoping to convert her over.

#10 SummerStar

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 08 January 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

OK. I wasn't real sure, and it may have just been from the latest model when I went to replace Mum's ipad and was hoping to convert her over.

You can buy 4G and wifi versions of Samsung tablets just as you can with Apple. If you look anywhere selling them there will be both listed with a price difference, just as there is with ipads. Not sure why you'd think only Apple would do models that take sim cards. The difference is Samsung take memory cards as well, something Apple don't do with phones or ipads which is seen as a downside by many people.

I have always bought the wifi version of any ipad/tablet and used my phone data. Never felt the need to pay for two plans.

Edited by SummerStar, 08 January 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#11 Grrrumbles

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

I have a Telstra branded wifi hotspot thing that I got from Big W. I use it when I travel but am using it less as hotel internet improves. It is one more thing to keep charged though but is easy to use.

Mine came with free data and then you recharge the provided SIM so it is probably prudent to make sure the wifi device you buy is not locked to a particular network.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

View PostBadCat, on 08 January 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

View PostJustBeige, on 08 January 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Love you!  thanks so much.  Thats what I was hoping.  Your DC1 is all kinds of awesome <3.
Can you please PM me link to one so I know what I am looking at.

Which network is your new SIM only plan with? Optus? This is an example of a pocket wifi/personal hotspot/wifi modem:
https://www.target.c...-modem/62127691

Coles has one for $29.50 including 14GB data on p.37 of the current catalogue:
https://www.coles.co...qld-met&page=37

You can get quite a few hours of usage from them before needing to charge them. I've used two different Telstra ones. They're very convenient for wifi on the go when you don't have a phone to hotspot from, or don't want to heat up your phone and use up the phone's battery being a hotspot.

#13 JustBeige

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

My new SIM is with Voda

#14 Paddlepop

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

https://www.bigw.com...-r216/p/640327/

Check the supermarkets for good deals and specials. The mobile wifis are kept at the customer service desk with the mobile phones.

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

JB my DH has a work one from Telstra that supports his laptop

https://shop.vodafon...i-4g-R216h#tabs

#16 Paddlepop

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

You could try ringing Vodaphone and asking them to send you a free one, considering that you've just taken out a 12 month contract with them.

#17 JustBeige

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 08 January 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

You could try ringing Vodaphone and asking them to send you a free one, considering that you've just taken out a 12 month contract with them.
Yep, I was having the same thought in the shower tonight.

There used to be a mandatory cooling off period with Telco contracts so I will fall within that,  Plus Im not wanting to leave, just swap.
All I can do is ask I guess :)

thanks  for all your suggestions everyone

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.