Permanent hair colour but grays not coloured?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JediMaster

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:20 AM

I have my med/dark brown hair coloured at the hair dresser but the grays come back within a few weeks. And I don’t mean growing out, it’s like the colour hasn’t attached to the silvers.
I’ve tried to go the blonde foils, blend in look - but end up an orangey colour after a while.
Help

#2 Lifesgood

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:34 AM

Complain to your hairdresser or find another one. Sounds like they are not doing it right. Mine grow out rather than wash out.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

I would change hairdressers to be honest, her product may be dodgy or perhaps your hair needs a treatment before applying it.
My greys grow out from the roots and do not come off the hair.

#4 TheGreenSheep

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 10 January 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Complain to your hairdresser or find another one. Sounds like they are not doing it right. Mine grow out rather than wash out.
Same
I use blonde foils and mine grow out not fade out.

I’d see another hairdresser.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

I wonder if she's using semi-permanent?  That's what mine is, and it fades a bit and the whitest hairs lose their colour first.

It's a deliberate choice on my part because a fair portion of my hair is still the same auburn it always was and there is zero obvious 'growing out'.

#6 Romeo Void

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

If your shampoo/conditioner has silicon in it it coats the hair and stops the colour from absorbing well.  I had this problem as well.  You need to wash with something to strip the silicon out.  I bought a 'stripping' shampoo from Price Attack but found washing with a little dish washing detergent before colouring had a similar effect.

#7 cvbn

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

Every body loves Pantene but it makes colouring your hair tricky. As PP says, it can build up on your hair.

#8 Mollycoddle

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

I've only ever dyed my hair at home but I've given up on it for the same reason as you OP, most of my greys are around the sides of my head near the ears and the colour just never seems to 'take' there.  It's not that it washes out quickly, it doesn't even take hold there in the first place.

Waiting for it all to go grey so I can break out the pastel rinses.  Seriously, it would be cool for me as I have red/auburn hair, there's never been a bright colour I could match into it as streaks and I'm not a fan of the bleached blonde look so a nice silver grey/white would do me just fine.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 11 January 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#9 Fourteenyears

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Yes, I second the stripping shampoo recommendation.    If the issue is your conditioner it will make a huge difference to the longevity of hair dye.

I use the Toni & Guy daily detox clarifying shampoo from the supermarket.   It is way too harsh (imo) to use daily, but it is really good at stripping built up product out of hair and dye definitely takes better after I use it.

Also, look at the product you are using afterwards.  Shampoos like head and shoulders - something to do with the active ingredient - strip colour really quickly.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 10 January 2019 - 09:06 AM.

#10 Mel1609

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

Hello, hairdresser here! I would go back to the salon and explain what's happened- many people have very resistant hair,  and the hairdresser can adjust her formula accordingly.

Id also second the ditching of Pantene. It's just crap. Anything with silicon used overt long periods of time will cause issues with color,  or breakage.

#11 SelceLisbeth

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

Last colour I had at a hairdresser came out with my white hairs still there. Wont be going back. I will also be making sure to let the colourist know at my next appt (whenever that might be) that my whites stayed white after my last colour.

#12 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

View PostMel1609, on 10 January 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Id also second the ditching of Pantene. It's just crap. Anything with silicon used overt long periods of time will cause issues with color,  or breakage.
But doesn't nearly every conditioner contain silicone? I found it really difficult to get one that doesn't.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 10 January 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

But doesn't nearly every conditioner contain silicone? I found it really difficult to get one that doesn't.

This thread is the first I ever knew about silicone in conditioner, so just read the ingredients on mine, and there appears to be no silicone.  It's Jurlique Lavender. (The only shampoo and conditioner that doesn't irritate my scalp.)

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostMel1609, on 10 January 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Hello, hairdresser here! I would go back to the salon and explain what's happened- many people have very resistant hair,  and the hairdresser can adjust her formula accordingly.

I have been told this for years and I’ve used it for years. I also have my hair coloured every 8 weeks or so... foils and colour to grey roots and I have extremely healthy hair. No breakages, no issues with colours ...
I will not pay a fortune for salon product which has similar ingredients.

#15 Inkogneatoh

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

Mum's got a patch of grey she has had from her early 30's that has never taken a colour of any sort. It also doesn't hold a perm. Multiple hair dressers, in different states.

#16 zogee

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

Greys can be resistant as others said. Maybe you need a different formula or even go under that heat lamp thing? I’ve got lots of greys & have gradually gone blonde. A purple shampoo gets rid of the orange tones, you can even apply it to dry hair if you have gone really brassy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.