Fluff optional: What could I do for the next 6 years

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 WTFJerk

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

For reasons that are a diversion to this topic, DS will be going to secondary school an hour away.  Actually 35mins now, but approx. 1hr during school times.

(I do have my reservations about the school we've chosen, but on balance I'm comfortable with the decision)

For all his primary school I did the 50min-round trip twice a day to get him to school.

To make that 4hrs in the car each day?  Bugger that.
I'm planning on dropping him off then staying in the area.

So, what can I do with myself  between the hours of 9 and 3 for the next 6 years?

Both serious and fluff/ridiculous responses are welcome.

ETA: the school is in Bundoora, Melbourne

Edited by Hypnic Jerk, 10 January 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#2 JBH

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

Find a pool and get fit swimming laps every day, then head to a library for some peaceful reading time.  Maybe find lessons in something you’ve Always aspired to do, like a language or musical instrument.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

Is there a school bus? Can he board? (the last one is not serious!)

Before DS I spent a lot of time in a library, hours and hours on end but not 5 days a week!

actually a serious one is there a charity shop you can volunteer at - CWA rooms etc.

Edited by seayork2002, 10 January 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Surely there is a bus!!!! Or a train, or a train and a bus and an Uber, anything other than driving him, lol.

If not, take up knitting and coffee drinking? Lol

I’d be asking around the local school area for a school hours job. Even a 3 hour shift waiting tables is better than hanging around doing not much. Cash in hand *wink wink*.... surely someone somewhere needs an extra pair of hands for a lunch time rush.

#5 Mollycoddle

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

I second the idea to try and find some work or volunteering.  Good luck!

#6 MrsT2018

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

Look for a course that interests you at Latrobe Uni Bundoora campus.

#7 just roses

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

Have you had any aspirations to study? You could do a degree in that time. Easily.

#8 Serinitynow

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

Get a job?

#9 Riotproof

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

Is renting your house and moving an option? Otherwise, I’d look at public transport options for him.

I genuinely cannot see how it could possibly be sustainable.

#10 Blue Shoe

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

Online study that you can do at a nearby library/cafe during that time? Write a novel? Find freelance work you can do on a laptop?

#11 ipsee

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I'd aim to structure the week or you will go crazy with boredom. so Monday - yoga, walk in the park, Tue, swimming, library visit, etc.

You could take up painting or sketching, learn a language, become a fitness freak. Write a book!

You could look for a lunch shift in a cafe I suppose, or cover lunch for a receptionist somewhere. Or volunteer in the school canteen once or twice a week.

Do the personal admin, pay the bills, etc once a week.

Edited by ipsee, 10 January 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#12 *Spikey*

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

An hour in one direction is nothing - remember, it will be shorter on the return leg.

But, if you don't like driving that much (and I do, so that wouldn't bother me hugely and I'm also from Sydney so a 1 hour plus commute is normal), have a think about what you want to do over the next ten to twenty years.

Spend some of your week doing some serious personal planning, then work out what you need to do in order to achieve that. Check out Open Uni courses, and what the local TAFEs have to offer.

Volunteering also looks good on the resume, for when you decide you might want to dabble in the workforce again - and it can be fun.

All of the things you want to do, compile that list, then start work on crossing them off!!!!

#13 seayork2002

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:27 AM

View Postipsee, on 10 January 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

I'd aim to structure the week or you will go crazy with boredom. so Monday - yoga, walk in the park, Tue, swimming, library visit, etc.

You could take up painting or sketching, learn a language, become a fitness freak. Write a book!

You could look for a lunch shift in a cafe I suppose, or cover lunch for a receptionist somewhere. Or volunteer in the school canteen once or twice a week.

Do the personal admin, pay the bills, etc once a week.

I was coming back in to say exactly this!

I would probably still do the trip back home one or two days a week then structure the rest.

#14 foofoo

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

You could volunteer at the school.  If it is the same high school my son goes to there is often parent days/events.

There is a nice library in Watsonia.  It has lots of comfortable spots to sit and relax.

You could spend time at La Trobe Uni - they have a sports centre and library.  They also offer free public lectures and speakers.

There is also some lovely walking tracks and parks around Lower Plenty, Rosanna and Greensborough.

#15 Cimbom

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

If it is at all possible (even if it means renting out your current home if you own it and renting over there), I would strongly recommending moving closer to the school so he can travel by himself. It might seem like a nice novelty initially but it will get very old quickly. I'm not one of those people that like long drives so I personally wouldn't even consider it without moving

#16 amdirel

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

Can't he get public transport?

#17 coffy11

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

Surely there would be a bus or train he could take?  Especially for secondary school.

#18 José

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

is there really no bus or other transport option? even if only for part of the way?
what will happen if you are ever ill? your child will need to stay home?
if you must drive him each day id still go home in between at least 2 days per week.
get some cleaning done, or dinner prep or baking.

#19 Freddie'sMum

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

I couldn't do it OP, I really couldn't.

Surely there must be some public transport that could take him at least 3 days per week.  Four hours of driving each day would do me in.

#20 Ellie bean

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

I’d send him to a different school and get a job.

#21 Renovators delight

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

There is also RMIT...

I am thinking of volunteering at a horse rescue in the Whittlesea area. About 25 minutes drive up plenty rd.

Lots of nice bushwalking trails around Plenty Gorge and Bundoora Park.

Mill Park library is good too. Aquatic centres at Greensborough and Thomastown are both good and have classes as well as free swimming.

You could catch the tram into Northcote and have hipster coffee.

I am at a loose end for the next couple of years and just up the road, you could pop by my house!

#22 TheGreenSheep

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

I would lose the will to live

#23 *Spikey*

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:02 AM

FWIW, I joined a gym and worked on remedial training to rectify the aftermath of a back injury.

(DD was doing 3+ hours of ballet, 3-4 nights per week, and more on the weekends so I needed something to do while I waited after dropping her there).

#24 qak

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

Find a job at the school.
Or teach DS how to get there himself?

ETA: can you car pool with other parents in your area?

Edited by qak, 10 January 2019 - 11:12 AM.

#25 PaperCats

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Agree with those saying they couldn’t do it. I would be having him catch public transport, maybe pick him up on Friday’s only.
If you aren’t working wouldn’t you prefer to be at home at least some of the time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.