Starting the deChristmas process...

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Riotproof

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

It’s mostly done now.

Need to gather Xmas books from around house. I do need to vacuum, but I think that can wait until tomorrow. Also need to wash the Christmas tree skirt, which I’m hoping does okay on delicates cycle because I’m not dry cleaning it.

#52 IkeaAddict

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

In this house it was all taken down on January 2. I would have done it earlier but DS was attached to the tree and all the hanging ceiling decorations so I waited till he was at his Nannas. By the time he got home he wasn't worried because he'd benn at Nannas house, which wasn't decorated at all LOL

#53 *Ker*

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

I took mine down on the 2nd of Jan. Not amused because I had to collect baubles from all around the house. DS's kitten had fun with them.

#54 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Inside was done on 27th and outside on 28th.  I wanted to rearrange furniture and that meant decorations had to be put away.  Plus I needed to feel in control of something during a time when I had no control over anything.

#55 gettin my fance on

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

I can never bear to take the tree down, so DH initiates it each year.  As soon as he starts, DD and I join in.

So ours came down last weekend.

#56 nup

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

There are 12 days of Xmas you grinches!

#57 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

We packed it all up on Jan 3rd. We had to recover from NYE first. :lol:

#58 Future-self

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

I love Christmas decorations - which is why they go UP so early- 25th November. There’s where the real joy is! Then Down in Dec 31st or January 1st depending on what else is happening. I agree, they los enlisted and festivity after the fact.

#59 fraidycat

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

Tree and all comes down boxing day.  It is the process in my house.  Kids know it.

#60 Toddlerandme

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

My daughter and I packed our tree and decorations away  last weekend. Might even have been the sixth :) (by luck rather than design)
My husband noticed yesterday.

Edited by Toddlerandme, 10 January 2019 - 09:18 PM.

#61 amdirel

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

I took all my xmas stuff down tonight thanks to this thread! Now I've just got to find the motivation to lug all the boxes down to the garage. Maybe tomorrow...

#62 Lou-bags

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Mine came down Jan 2nd. Usually I do it New Year’s Day but I worked that day and was too tired after. Like a PP I find Xmas decorations up in the new year a bit forlorn.

And, oddly, I enjoy taking them down almost as much as putting them up.

#63 TinCat🐱

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

Took ours down on Boxing Day.

Bye bye Christmas!!

#64 (feral)epg

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

I start itching around boxing day.

But I wait until the first free (and non hungover) day of the new years.

Much as I am tempted to eat some hot cross buns under the tree I shall hold off buying those until April - see how traditional I am?

#65 marley*and*me

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

I have one born a few days after Christmas, so I try to get it all packed up before his birthday.  Makes him feel like his day is special, just like everyone else during the year.

#66 gettin my fance on

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:58 AM

View Postmarley*and*me, on 10 January 2019 - 11:28 PM, said:

I have one born a few days after Christmas, so I try to get it all packed up before his birthday.  Makes him feel like his day is special, just like everyone else during the year.

DD's is a mid December birthday, so our tree doesn't go up until after her birthday for the same reason.

#67 Sancti-claws

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

1st January here - New Year new broom.

View PostRiotproof, on 10 January 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

If he’s prepared to do all the work, I’d let him too.

Mine looks on with an air of “I didn’t put it up, so I won’t help take it down”.

About the only task that DH does with any sort of urgency, it seems, is put the darned thing up - I normally hold out untl December 1 but combined efforts of him and DD and the fact that I went to a funeral on 25/11 so didn't have to deal with it meant it got an eary start this year.

I am more than happy to pack it away with limited help - I need the space back and, despite it (and its predecessors) being a plastic tree, there always seems to be an inordinate amount of "needles" tracked around the house.

View Postnup, on 10 January 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

There are 12 days of Xmas you grinches!
25/11 - 1/1 = 37 days here...

#68 Riotproof

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:10 AM

“Mummy, the lounge room feels so big and empty now”.

It’s so not.

#69 Riotproof

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

View Post(feral)epg, on 10 January 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

I start itching around boxing day.

But I wait until the first free (and non hungover) day of the new years.

Much as I am tempted to eat some hot cross buns under the tree I shall hold off buying those until April - see how traditional I am?

Normally, I try to hold out until March. Bought some yesterday.

#70 Weavile

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Finally got to it today :xmas_blink:

Still better then some years.

#71 Speckle Park

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

Tree and house decorations came down on the epiphany. The table display/centrepiece was put away last week when someone sploshed soy sauce on the tablecloth and it all came off for a wash. My house looks a bit dowdy now, a bit Normal.

View PostRiotproof, on 11 January 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

Normally, I try to hold out until March. Bought some yesterday.

I haven't bought buns yet (only for Easter, keep it special, blah blah) but I am on my 2nd tub of Woolworths hot cross bun ice cream and have enjoyed 3 Wizz Fizz creme eggs already. Both are delicious ways to cope with the Christmas come-down.

#72 Riotproof

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

I’ve heard about that ice cream. I just don’t know about it at all.

Btw, I needed a new box for Christmas, which I finally bought today. Actual solid plastic, tuff box I think was the brand. And I’ve found all the kids Christmas books I hope. All in the tidied garage where I’ve thrown out stuff DH probably didn’t know was there. Especially after he had a go that we shouldn’t have made so many extra ornaments because of space issues.. they bring joy. I set them up and pack them away, no issue for him at all.

#73 *bucket*

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

Our Christmas stuff has all been gone for a few weeks. Except the five baubles the cats hid and are now loving playing with. And the cards, they are still there. With the birthday cards from September. They'll be moved eventually.

Edited by *bucket*, 23 January 2019 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.