Booster for 7yrs plus

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

DS is 7 and about 132cm and has outgrown his car seat which is supposed to last until 8 years.

The guidelines recommended a booster until 145cm but I'm not sure which one to buy. When I look online, the boosters all seem to be until 8 years and I doubt he will fit them.

I'd appreciate your advice on an appropriate booster?

Thanks

#2 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

SnS Hiliner. If that's too small, the SnS Kid Guard is for kids up to 10yo/ 135cm.

#3 SplashingRainbows

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

Why buy a booster for 3cm? I don’t think I would and I’m pretty fastidious about car seats. Has your child done the 5 point test OP? Do they require a booster still?

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 10 January 2019 - 05:15 PM.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

If you trust him to sit in a normal seatbelt the infa secure travelling booster should fit him - plus they are budget friendly.

Harnessed seats, I think the britax maxiguard & the infasecure equivalent have the highest exit markers.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 10 January 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#5 ABabyPlease

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for your responses.

Splashing Rainbows, I thought they need a booster until 145cm, so we are 13cm away. Have I got this wrong?

Princess Peach, we have the Britax Maxiguard and he has outgrown that one. I will check out the Infasecure.

#6 mayahlb

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

Ababyplease google the 5point test. That will show if they will fit into an adult seatbelt properly. My youngest is 130 and no way would be pass the 5 point test (he is currently in a hipod Boston I think it’s callex). But my 138cm child is fine. (Might be a bit taller now but he was 138 when he stopped using the booster). It’s more dependant on torso length then actual height.

#7 Future-self

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

Thread here with the booster’s listed with the highest exit markers http://www.essential...it-height-help/

Edited by Future-self, 10 January 2019 - 08:37 PM.

#8 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

The Britax maxi guard has an exit height of 51cm torso height.

The infasecure folding booster is 49cm and the Britax hi-liner is 51cm, so both of those are not options.

Does he pass the 5 step test? That usually happens at 145cm approx and 10-12 years old approx.
Their knees bend comfortably at the edge, with their feet flat on the floor.
Their bum is all the way back in the seat.
The lap belt lies low on the hips, at the top of the thighs.
The shoulder belt crosses on the collarbone.
They can stay seated like this for the entire ride.

The boosters with the higher markers are Britax kid guard, maxi Cosi Rodi, infasecure visage. Best to go to a baby shop to try him in the seats. Check for shoulder and bum width and seat base length. Also look at the base design, arm rests and no slide guard clip vs no arm rests and having the slide guard clip. Then go try the boosters in your car with the head rest fully extended. Make sure the head rest doesn't hit the roof or side pillars. Make sure the seat belt comes through the sash guide well. Make sure he can easily reach the seat belt buckle to click it in.

#9 just roses

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

I have my 8yo in an infasecure booster and my 11yo (for trips, not every day driving anymore) in an sns hiliner.  Neither are short, but both have most of their height in their long legs.

#10 ABabyPlease

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

Thanks so much Everyone.
He doesn't pass the 5 step test so will look for a tall booster.

#11 Winterberry

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

The new Infasecure is supposed to have the highest booster markers
http://infasecure.co...-booster-seats/

#12 Nanns

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

When is he turning 8 and how much driving do you do. They change the laws every other week about boosters.

I personally would not bother so close to compliance as I believe there is always fat in the measurements to protect the company and for people like me.

I also have seen so many changes in the laws that I am cynical. What really is the magic age and when is the next change coming.

Sorry to be so negative but am so over car seats. Getting rid of my last car seat and not having to help clip a child in or remove a car seat to drop someone off was a day worth celebrating.

#13 Fossy

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

There’s been one change since I’ve had kids... hopefully the next change comes soon and increase the requirements for harnessed and booster seats as our laws are still desperately inadequate.  

OP we have to replace our seats after an accident, 8 and 7 year olds are currently in maxi guards but interested to see if there’s something available that may last them longer.

#14 mayahlb

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Nanns it’s got nothing to do with the law. By law he could be out of a booster already. He’s past 7. You only have to be in a booster until or car seat until 7. And quiet frankly the law is behind what many parents consider the basis of safety with car seats. It’s the minimum requirement.  However if he doesn’t pass the 5point test then from a safety point the seatbelt won’t be able to full so it’s job is there is a car accident. Boosters are basically positioning devices with some side protection. Seatbelts are designed for adults, not children, therefore using a device is what’s needed. Each parent should do a risk assessment and decide for themselves.

I personally a neurotic about boosters and car seat. I was in a severe car accident when I was 6 and only the fact my sister and I were still in booster seats (those old foam ones) saved out life. Therefore I will not move my children out of booster seats until they fit a seatbelt properly. If that means they are 10 when it happens then so be it. Friends of mine still have their short 10yr old in a seat. I live in an area where the roads have a big number of dangers (road trains, cows, wallabies, too many stupid freaking drivers). I choose to do what I can to allay the safety risk.

#15 steppy

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Didn't they just change the law to 8?

#16 mayahlb

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Stroppy no, it’s still 7. https://raisingchild...hild-restraints This was updated early Dec last year. So it’s only just over a months old. Still states 7.

#17 steppy

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Stroppy! :rofl:

#18 mayahlb

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Oops. Autocorrect :lol:

#19 steppy

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

I kinda like it.

#20 afterlaughter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

Maxi Cosi Rodi has exit of 56cm so that’s 5cms or about 2 years torso growth. Infa Visage has exit 57cm also a option after maxing out of a harnessed seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.