Jump to content

8yo boy Anxiety and behaviour

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mumwithquestions

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Hi guys

Just putting this out there for any advice. Its something I keep thinking about but have no idea what to do or if I should even do anything. I have an 8yo son who is my eldest, is an anxious child and has always struggled going to school (cried almost every day up to year 2); asks me where I'm going and how long I'll be and gives me 50kisses before I leave the house; can't handle if anything is lost or broken - stresses him out far more than it should; likes routine and gets nervous if something is outside of that (Ie school carnival going on a bus/ordering lunch from canteen/changing classroom/even things as little as changing which gate he enters school through of a morning). He struggles to get along with my 5yo boy because my 5yo is so carefree and takes risks. I'm finding it really hard to build a good relationship between the two of them because they constantly fight. I also have a 1yo daughter who he adores and in his eyes she can't do anything wrong which makes the relationship between him and the 5yo even harder to watch. I don't know if I should be looking into a diagnosis for anything for the purpose of getting support and ideas on how to manage it? (he also has sensory issues - has a blanket that he smells and rubs on his face as often as he is around it throughout the day and in bed/ would change his shirt if he got even one drop of water on it); plus he bounces around the house a lot of the time rather than walking. I'm open to any advice, suggestions or ideas that anyone might have to better manage his relationship with his brother and also whether I should look into anything further. Thanks :)

#2 Kiraffe

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I say if you're worried check it out. Book with GP, then paediatrician. A psychologist will help with anxiety and give you help on managing siblings etc.

#3 Future-self

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

I always thik an overview with a Development Paediatrician is a great start. From there, they can also give an authority for a Psychologist (expert for the anxiety) which will enable you to get a higher medicare rebate for some sessions too which assists with the affordability.

Anxiety is hard. It can be hard to understand and hard to live with for the person and their family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.