Anyone else noticed a drop in supply before your period?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ozbird

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

Anyone else noticed a big drop in supply in the week leading up to your period? It happened to me last month, My boobs felt empty and baby wouldn’t feed particularly well because (I think) the flow slowed right down. She’d only feed for 1 let down each side and getting her to attach long enough for me to let down was hard work. I got my period and my supply bounced right back. Waiting to see if it happens again this month, if so I am seriously considering a galactogue just for that week it was so dramatic.

#2 Minka1313

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

I found that with my first son. My period returned when he was 4 months old. My milk also smelt differently. My son was not happy. It made it very difficult. I ended up getting an IUD. The IUD didn't effect my milk and stopped my period so I could continue to breastfeed happily.

#3 bluesilk

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:17 PM

Yes! Must be something to do with progesterone levels dropping or something. Thankfully my period only returned after 8.5 months and I weaned at about a year. But in between was such a difficult time - I tried everything - mother's milk tea, vitamins, drink more water, additional pumping and feeding...but could not produce enough to satisfy baby's demand. In the end I had to supplement with formula for a good 10 days or so a month. I'd always had a good supply before then and it would bounce back afterwards.
Maybe as pp suggested  an iud or mini pill is worth considering.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Because my periods returned at 7 weeks I didn't get to experience if there were any changes or not, it was just "our normal".
If your baby is extra fussy pre period then you could try switch feeding, ie she only stays for one let down then fusses, you keep swapping sides if she will agree, you might get her to take more milk that way, 2, 3, 4 or more sides. Sometimes I had to swap 8 times during a feed due to fussiness.
On reflection, maybe hormone changes were a factor?

Overall, if despite the period of fussiness she still wee's and poo's normally then your supply is adequate and you may not need to do anything to boost your supply other then tricking her into drinking even if she is more fussy.

I suspect the fussiness is the problem which could lead to a drop in intake and thus supply/ milk production rather than supply dropping and causing the fussiness.
Does that make sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.