Copper IUD non horror stories - Update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bono25

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

Hi ya

Next month I'll be getting a copper IUD inserted.  I'm slightly freaked out as I already have issues with down there and I'm terrified of how much it's going to hurt.  I'm trying to be positive and remember that I've had vaginal birth (which I tore with) and a colposcopy before that, and it can't possibly be as bad as that.  Most of the stuff on the web is from the US, so I was wondering if anyone had had one inserted recently (I think the applicator design has changed??) and how you went in terms of pain on insertion and afterwards?  I'm taking the day after off as I don't know how I'm going to go.  Also have your periods been really bad since?

Sorry, I know I'm asking for a lot of info, and it's all very personal, but I don't know anyone who has one to ask!

Edited by Bono25, 21 February 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Grrrumbles

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Not copper but had a Mirena inserted for the first time and then went straight to a house auction where I was the bidder. No real issues even though I have never had a v birth.

I wouldn’t describe myself as particularly stoic with medical procedures but the nurses said that staying relaxed really does help the insertion go quickly and I managed that.

#3 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

I also had a mirena in recently (up to about the 6 month mark now) and i wont lie.. it was... uncomfortable. But not massively. It was like a fairly uncomfortable pap smear. But the discomfort didnt last long at all.

My gynea was telling me that some women need them done in theater! So it must be not very pleasant for some. Or maybe it's an anxiety thing. I imagine given the vatiation in anatomy amongst the population, there's a number of people that it causes pain for.

As for the after effects, it's been pretty good. Bled for two months but things have settled now. But i don't know how that compares to the copper iud.

#4 BeachesBaby

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

I had the copper iud inserted maybe 4-5 years ago, sorry not more recent. If you’ve given birth and also had a colposcopy I really do believe you’ll be okay. I’ve never given birth, so my cervix is very tight, and the dr struggled to get it to open enough to insert the device. I’ve read since that they can inject something to relax it, but mine didn’t offer it. To be honest it did hurt quite a bit as they inserted it, but it’s probably equitable to a colposcopy biopsy, in that you’re like omg it hurts in such a weird spot, ow!! And then 10 seconds later it’s done and over with, and the pain goes away.

I expected some big downtime after but I felt totally fine. No cramping or residual pain. I went home after but could have easily returned to work.

During the 3-4 years I had it, I’d always tell people that 29 days of the month it was the best decision I ever made. Reliable birth control with no hormones, yes! But then 1-2 days a month I was in a decent amount of pain from cramping. It’s gone away since removal so unfortunately it was from the iud (I removed bc we’re TTC). But overall I’d definitely do it again, and highly recommend it to anyone wanting an iud but not wanting the hormones.
Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do fine with insertion.

#5 bluesilk

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Won't lie, it hurt a bit, like a pap smear and was a bit tender/bloated afterwards. I think you can have a local first, or sedation, but I didn't.

#6 Greatmum

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Had mirena had to get it done at a hospital as had retroverted uterus no anesthetic or anything though. Didn’t hurt much just kind of weird pressure.

And a pit of cramping for a day or two but only mild.

Edited by Greatmum, 16 January 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#7 nom_de_plume

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

I have had one for 3 years now. I had a vaginal delivery 2 years prior.

Insertion was on par with a colposcopy for pain. There was some discomfort with the speculum etc and then about 10 seconds of pain when it was actually inserted. No pain afterwards. I had it done at a gynecologist after work one evening, and was back at work the next day.

I had spotting for maybe 12-24 hours after insertion and that was it. No issues with my regular period. It’s not any heavier or any painful.

Only drawback is the cost.

#8 Bono25

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for your stories everyone. I have issues with speculams and they tend it hurt, probably be the worst bit!

#9 MooGuru

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

One of my workmates got one at lunch time and had the rest of the day off. She ended up coming back in the late afternoon because she felt fine and wanted to join us for dinner.
She said hers was considered more complex as she'd never given birth so needed an extra step to help soften the cervix.

#10 MissMilla

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

I had one put in 2months after delivery. No big issues with pain or anything. It was a bit painful to insert, but the pain went away very quickly. Kinda like when you get pinched. Strong initial pain that subsideds quickly afterwards.

Had some cramps in the afternoon, but only lightly. The next day everything was fine.

The copper didnt work for me though after 6months it caused spotting every day. Like my period changed from 3-4 strong days into constant spotting. I was so annoyed about it that i had it removed a year after. Mainly because i didnt enjoy my sexlife with the constant blood. I never had a proper period or any periid pain though, so that was the upside.

#11 lennie

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

I’ve had two copper iuds, each for about 5 years. Yes, a little bit painful for a couple of minutes, but fine afterwards. No major impact on period or any other nasty side effects. Very happy to have birth control without the migraines experienced while on the pill.

#12 sandshoes

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

I had mirena. Uncomfortable being inserted. Didnt mind it birth control wise, was one of the unlucky ones that bled for  a while so had it taken out. Wasn't a fan of the weight gain, but would recommend it for a better birth control than the pill.

#13 MeThree

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

I have had a copper iud since early October, but had my put in while asleep at Marie Stopes. The reason I went that route was that the first insertion attempt didn't go so well, and I wasn't up for repeating the experience lol. I have backwards everything up there apparently, and it took the doctor a fair amount of trying to get the iud put in which I found extremely painful. Not because of what it is, just the length of time it took. Anyway, iud goes in, one arm malfunctions and comes straight back out.

I absolutely think if it was just a normal straight forward thing I would have been fine. I don't know anyone else who has asked for or felt they needed sedation.

Periods are still to the day regular, but last longer and are more heavy. I do get some unfriendly cramping too. That said, I do love it. I can't take anything hormonal because I have epilepsy and one of my meds lowers the effectiveness of the pill etc. None of the pain or extra bleeding side effects aren't easily managed. Nurofen kills the pain, and I need to change whatever I'm using a bit more often. The length is more that instead of my period just arriving full force like it would, I now have a few days spotting either side of the 5 or so days proper bleeding.

Good luck :)

#14 Bono25

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Thank you ☺️
My Dr does work out of Marie stops and she offered me that option, so I guess it's good to know it's there if it all goes pear shaped. She's been doing alot of them lately, 20 a month so I have faith in her ability to get it right.

It was quite funny. She can do vasectomies, but funnily enough she doesn't get a lot of men talking to her about it lol

#15 NannyPlumPudding

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

I had it done last mobth. I had the 10year option. They have updated what they look like and the implantion is no where near as unconfortable as previous ones.

I have had no problems. Period was a bit heavier but i had a very light one to begin with so now its what i would consider "normal" flow.

Best decision i ever made.

#16 Bono25

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Update, in case anyone ends up looking and because my memory is terrible :)

Had the IUD put in on Monday afternoon.  It hurt.  Alot.  Nothing like my colposcopy.  At all.

Speculam was bad, and I think it scratched me on the outside.  Stingy when she threaded it through and when she clamped my cervix open.  It was quick though.  Probably less than a minute, even though it felt like longer.  
Cramping that night which a hotty took care of.  Still having cramps three days later, bit it's more sharp pain.  And still bleeding, which surprised me.  I thought it would've stopped by now.

It was an odd feeling, felt heavy in my uterus, like when you're newly pregnant.  Odd, but better now.  I'm slightly scarred for life now lol!!

#17 BeachesBaby

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Ah I’m so sorry it was so painful for you! Now that it’s in at least you don’t have to worry for 5-10 years though! Hopefully the pain subsides. I’m really glad you came back for an update, I’m positive someone searching for this in the future will find it and be grateful to have heard how it turned out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.