Another woman killed - trigger warning

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 thebabysitter

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

I am so sad. I am outraged. Why are we not out on the streets demanding to know why women can’t walk home on their own without being stalked and killed.
Rip Aya. I am so sorry Australia failed you

#2 amaza

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

View Postthebabysitter, on 17 January 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

I am so sad. I am outraged. Why are we not out on the streets demanding to know why women can’t walk home on their own without being stalked and killed.
Rip Aya. I am so sorry Australia failed you

We are on the streets. We are demanding and we are screaming but for the most part we are being ignored.

I read her story in tears this morning. May she RIP.

#3 Mumma3

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

So incredibly sad. And how horrific for her cousin to be FaceTiming her and not know what was happening.

#4 purplekitty

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

View Postamaza, on 17 January 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

We are on the streets. We are demanding and we are screaming but for the most part we are being ignored.

I read her story in tears this morning. May she RIP.
Nope,the dialogue is all about a shaver ad.

#5 ali-song

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

Her poor sister - imagine having to live with the speculation that if you had contacted police sooner, your sister might have lived.

#6 Literary Lemur

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Postali-song, on 17 January 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Her poor sister - imagine having to live with the speculation that if you had contacted police sooner, your sister might have lived.

How heartbreaking.

Surely the shaver ad discussion is part of the same topic?

#7 purplekitty

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

View PostLiterary Lemur, on 17 January 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

How heartbreaking.

Surely the shaver ad discussion is part of the same topic?
I agree but there is not the same coverage,it is difficult for voices about actual incidences of violence against women to be heard.

I see Bettina Arndt has now entered the arena.
ETA:Sorry, in regards to the shaver ad.Wrong thread.

Edited by purplekitty, 17 January 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

how tragic - that poor woman.

the shaver ad discussion in theory is all part of the same topic, but as usual (IMO) men have managed to center themselves in the discussion - and how it made them feel, how hurt, affronted etc - and so we now have female commentators (Clem Ford, Jane Caro etc) dealing with their accusations and having to explain away their hurt feelings - rather than dealing with the fact that, YK, toxic masculinity is killing women. literally: killing women.

#9 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

This is so sad. RIP Aiia. :(

#10 purplekitty

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Yes,women are dying and men are trying to flush their shavers down the toilet while Miranda and Bettina applaud them.

#11 Red Sparrow

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone have a link for this story please? I can't find anything... which is sad in itself.

#12 purplekitty

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

https://www.theage.c...117-p50ruz.html

#13 Red Sparrow

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 17 January 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

Thank you.

ETA - just read it. Omg how horrible. I just realised this is actually near a friend of mines house. I didn't connect the dots. How bloody horrible.

Just wait for the victim blaming to come. It always does.

A 4.5 year old little girl was sexually assaulted in a public toilet at a beach not far from me the other week and all people could focus on was 'how could the parents let her go to the toilet by herself' (which they didn't btw - but who cares about the truth right).

Edited by Red Sparrow, 17 January 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#14 BadCat

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Time to start just randomly killing men.  Equality.

I may not be entirely serious.  Or maybe I am.  Because I am so sick of whiny, entitled, sanctimonious, toxic, brutal, rude, men pretending that their hurt feelings are more important than dead women.

#15 Drat

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 17 January 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

Nope,the dialogue is all about a shaver ad.

I literally hadn't even heard any news on this poor girl. Just the shaver ad :(

#16 nup

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

View Postamaza, on 17 January 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

We are demanding and we are screaming but for the most part we are being ignored.

We are being criticised and blamed for screaming.

#17 Anon wife

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

This is another disgusting attack, when will our judicial system take these attacks seriously?  I'm feeling despondent atm but I think we need to make a huge stand against violence against women.  It is a basic human right to walk safely home at night, yet once again another beautiful life was taken most likely at the hands of a sick man.  What can we do EB'ers? A march? A protest against lenient sentences?

#18 Kallie88

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing, anon maybe it's time to organize a big March or something even if it's just too keep it in the news (or get it in the news *sigh*)

#19 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostDrat, on 17 January 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I literally hadn't even heard any news on this poor girl. Just the shaver ad :(
I don't watch mainstream news, so can't comment on that but this has been on the main page of The Age yesterday and today. Yesterday's article did not state Aiia's name or age though.  In hindsight I assume police had to notify her family overseas. :(

#20 Lifesgood

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

I don't know what news sources others read but I knew about this story as soon as it broke.

The juxtaposition with the Gillette ad is heartbreaking, and powerful.

#21 Beanette

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Heartbreaking. Another young woman just trying to live her life.

I felt sick hearing that a body had been found earlier in the week, and knowing the details now it is somehow even more horrific.

#22 Literary Lemur

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

If some-one could please post the details on the vigil and roses on the tram. I cant read the details behind a pay wall.

#23 nup

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Has another woman died in WA whilst running?

#24 lizzzard

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

I'm sure its a coincidence...but there was another woman killed after performing at a comedy club in Melbourne recently wasn't there?

#25 Paddlepop

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

View Postnup, on 17 January 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Has another woman died in WA whilst running?

Yes. A 36yo mother of twin girls. Went for a run, sent a text that she'd be back in 20 minutes, and never came home. She went for a run at Mount Nameless in the Pilbara.

View Postlizzzard, on 17 January 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

I'm sure its a coincidence...but there was another woman killed after performing at a comedy club in Melbourne recently wasn't there?

Eurydice Dixon?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.