So regarding school stationery...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 casime

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

Cheap grey leads are usually awful.  They are harder to sharpen and tend to break a lot easier, which then wastes a lot of classroom time standing at the bin trying to sharpen them.

And on that note, why do schools put those stupid tiny metal sharpeners on their book lists?  They get easily lost, and the kids have to get up and go over to the bin all of the time, rather the ones with the catcher which means a quick sharpen at their seat and empty when it's full.  

Smiggle was the bane of my life in the classroom last year.  So many kids arguing because someone took the exact same smuggle smelly texta they thought was theirs, kids sitting around sniffing the smelly textas and comparing them, instead of doing work.  Things being stolen, and then parents coming in demanding that I launch a school wide investigation into a missing rubber (not even kidding on that last one).  My motto is that if you are going to get upset if it gets lost or stolen, then don't take it to school.

#27 Riotproof

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Casime, we have to send a sharpener with a refuse container. Last year, ds’s broke but he didn’t tell me until he brought stuff home.

#28 JomoMum

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

I’m 50% thankful that our school includes the stationery “pack” in the fees and 50% miffed that I can’t justify spending 2 hours and many many dollars at officeworks..

#29 Jenflea

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

Our school specified 2 of the tiny metal sharpeners but I decided she can take last year's one with he hopper so she doesn't have to get up from her desk so much.

#30 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Our school specifies a dual pencil sharpener with canister. They always end up broken though :( I buy extra ones because my kids are hard on them.

#31 Octopodes

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

Our school asks for enclosed sharpeners. I buy the Staedtler ones, they tend to last out the year.

https://www.officewo...rpener-st512001

#32 Octopodes

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

It's lunch containers my kid destroys. I have spent 6 years sending 'rubbish free lunches' and he has lost or broken at least a dozen plastic containers. I should have just sent everything in single use plastic wrappers like everyone else, it probably hasn't made much difference environmentally.

Edited by Octopodes, 01 February 2019 - 07:26 PM.

#33 Pink Flamingo

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

I just order from the school supplier and it gets delivered to my door for free. Then I just lable everything and it’s all sorted ready to take in on the first day.
Any scrapbooks, pencils, textas etc that come home at the end of the year is put in the craft box to use at home.

#34 casime

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

The 'nude food' talk annoys me a bit too.  It's fine if people are making everything from scratch, and I certainly don't think people should be using zip lock bags for lunches, but so many parents buy prepackaged items and in reality you are just taking them out of the packaging and putting them into another piece of plastic.  In reality, schools push for nude food because they want less rubbish because it is less mess floating around the playground, and less waste in the bins which means less cost of disposing it.  I think that's a completely valid reason for schools asking to reduce waste being sent in, but there's no real reason to dress it up as saving the environment, when a lot of lunch box items are already bought in single use plastic (which is a whole other issue in itself!).  It's only really about sustainability if there is a whole school approach to reducing waste and changing attitudes.

#35 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

View Postqak, on 01 February 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

At least with Officeworks you can do the order online and just go and collect it already picked for you. I didn't have to get much this year but it just was easier to do it this way.

I've found with pretty much everything that name brands are better quality. I bought an unknown brand mouse from Big W that didn't work, so I had to make a trip back for that.

Spend $55 and office works deliver it to your door, next day, for free.

Sad how quickly you can spend $55 on pencils, a couple excerise books and a roll of contact paper :(

#36 EmmDasher

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:36 PM

View Postcasime, on 01 February 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

The 'nude food' talk annoys me a bit too.  It's fine if people are making everything from scratch, and I certainly don't think people should be using zip lock bags for lunches, but so many parents buy prepackaged items and in reality you are just taking them out of the packaging and putting them into another piece of plastic.  In reality, schools push for nude food because they want less rubbish because it is less mess floating around the playground, and less waste in the bins which means less cost of disposing it.  I think that's a completely valid reason for schools asking to reduce waste being sent in, but there's no real reason to dress it up as saving the environment, when a lot of lunch box items are already bought in single use plastic (which is a whole other issue in itself!).  It's only really about sustainability if there is a whole school approach to reducing waste and changing attitudes.

I see your point but it does encourage me to choose options with less packaging eg. Buying the box of tiny teddies rather than the individually package serves.

The packaging we do have is opened at home and put directly into soft plastic recycling whereas if they did that at school it would just go in landfill. So I think it can have environmental benefits if it does change certain behavioura.

#37 mayahlb

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

I wish we had officeworks free delivery... yeah nope. Last time I added up an order they wanted $40 delivery free because I live regional. Office national was pretty much the same price wise and with every person who uses them as the supplier the school gets a contribution from our local. But yeah I spent $92 per a kid who their stationary list and then spent $20 on the lead pencils rhebkids prefer.

#38 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:55 PM

We have always gotten most from Officeworks. A bit from Typo and some from Big W.

This year DD14 wanted Index cards for writing study notes on. So those and most of hers came from Officeworks.

#39 lozoodle

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:00 PM

I like to go to Officeworks, so much less chaotic than the other places, and they've always got what I need as there are so many options as opposed to supermarkets etc that may have only one or two brands. Only thing I won't buy there is their sh*tty clear book contact.

I find it pretty reasonable. I got everything off my kids' list this year for $116 (years 1, 3 and 5).

#40 *Ker*

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

DS's high school uses Office Max. Their prices are way higher than what I can get stuff from at Officeworks though. $130-something at Office Max and $86 at Officeworks. OW is only 5 mins down the road so I did my shopping there.

#41 Ellie bean

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

I gotta admit, I’d pay the $130 just to get it all sent to me in a box and not have to go to
Officeworks

#42 Sincerely

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:59 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 01 February 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Office national is the school supplier here and they are cheaper then other options for us.

Lead pencil wise I prefer the Faber-castell “school set” ones. They come in a pkt of 5 with a black eraser and small green sharpener and are gold and blue with black eraser tips on the pencils. We found they sharpen easily, the lead doesn’t break often, and the eraser tip actually does a really good job as needed. They are more exxy ($5 from target per pkt) but 5 of them is worth 10 of the other brands. The shape of the pencil (triangle) is better for gripping too.

My other fall back is the stedler brand. We have these at work and they are good quality.

My favourite stationery brands are also Faber Castell and Staedtler, in that order. They are both German manufacturers and IMO their products are 'hands down'  the best quality. It's worth paying a bit more to avoid frequent pencil lead breakages, eraser smudges or paper destruction.

#43 Paddlepop

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:13 AM

I did a combination of Officeworks, Big W, the school supplier Campion, and last year's stationery that was sent home. The school supplier is pretty competitive on prices. I only got things from elsewhere that were cheaper than them. Kmart's quality and range was crap this year, and I didn't even think of going to Target for stationery. I already had everything by the time they started their school stuff, except for uniform bottoms which I did buy from Target.

If you want to save time then just order it all through Officeworks, or the school supplier if the prices are competitive. Don't forget to include delivery costs if you can't easily drive to them to collect it.

#44 atthebeach

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:48 AM

it partly depends on where you live. in victoria it's mainly officeworks, office max and campion through schools, then the supermarkets and big w, target. office national doesn't have such a presence here.
i notice that officeworks reduces their prices on school stationary items just before the new year. not sure when they will put their prices back up again.
for greylead pencils usually staedtler or faber castell. coloured pencils, my child's most used colour is gold, so i buy a 24 or 36 pack that has a gold pencil in it - usually faber castell, and i found the cheapest price on ebay for the set i wanted.

#45 Romeo Void

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

After I heard a friend of mine ( a teacher) complain about how much time is wasted with crap pencils (that break when sharpening) and crap glue I don't scrimp on these items.

#46 BECZ

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Faber Castell, PaperMate or Staedtler are my picks for lead pencils.  You can get a 5 pk for less than $1 most years, usually at Officeworks, but do see them at other major retailers and supermarkets.

For coloured I like Faber Castell or Crayola.  I don't like Staedtler, I find them too hard, so they come out streaky and you need to push harder.  I bought a couple of sets a couple of years ago and they're still sitting in our (new) stationery drawer.  

Textas I usually get Faber Castell connector pens or Staedtler are good too.  

Glue I usually buy Bostik or UHU.  Usually Bostik as I find it's easier for younger kids to put the lid back on.  It slides on, where UHU screws on and it can get clogged up with dried up glue.

I usually get most things from Officeworks with the odd extra for BigW, Target, etc. Like one year BigW had A3 art books at less than the half price of Officeworks and same brand and when you need 5 of them, $4 difference each adds up and BigW is just upstairs from Woolies, so not really out of the way for a $20 saving.
However, I didn't need to buy much this year as we changed to a public school and we already had lost of left overs in the drawe at home.
DF had to go to Officeworks for work and asked if we needed anything while he was there.  I jokingly sent him a few photos of some of the things we had and said that we could use some more.

#47 BECZ

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:43 AM

View Postcasime, on 01 February 2019 - 05:17 PM, said:

And on that note, why do schools put those stupid tiny metal sharpeners on their book lists?  They get easily lost, and the kids have to get up and go over to the bin all of the time, rather the ones with the catcher which means a quick sharpen at their seat and empty when it's full.  

I find the metal sharpeners, so much better quality than the plastic canister ones.  The metal ones last for years (if they don't get lost), where the plastic ones are lucky to last one term.  Even the $6 one I bought DS1 (who is careful with his stuff) lasted less than a term.  Plus I find them better on the pencils and cause less breakage., but the kid's new school has specified with canister, so that's what we bought.  I can see the benefit of less mess and time spent over the bin, but with reasonable quality pencils and sharpener, you don't need to spend much time sharpening anyway.

#48 BECZ

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

Is it normal for younger kids to use erasers these days?  

I remember as a kid, not being allowed to use them at school in infants (k-2).  DS2 is in year 1 this year and the only stationery he has to take in is glue sticks, canister style sharpener and a quality eraser.  

Maybe I'm just behind the times as when I mentioned that we weren't allowed to use them in infants, my older 3 kids looked at me like I was an alien and thought that it was rediculous that you wouldn't be allowed to use them.

Sorry OP, it's just been bugging me and I didn't think that it warranted its own thread.

#49 casime

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Is it normal for younger kids to use erasers these days?  

There's a time and a place for them.  I don't let my students use an eraser during writing, except on their final drafts.  I find that if you let them use one, they end up rubbing out whole pages of text and spending too much time going back over things.  I'd rather be able to see their process from first draft through editing then they can use an eraser during their final draft.  

#50 Silver Girl

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostFomoJnr, on 01 February 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

I’m 50% thankful that our school includes the stationery “pack” in the fees and 50% miffed that I can’t justify spending 2 hours and many many dollars at officeworks..

I’m 100% thankful that our school includes stationery in the school fees and that I don’t have to even think about these lists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.