Lost 16kgs....put most of it back on

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Chicken-little

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostSancti-claws, on 03 February 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

My ex (who had schizophrenia, which may or may not have contributed to this) theorised that you laid memories down with fat layers, and so issues that may have contributed to you putting on weight in the first place need to be resolved as you get back to that weight otherwise you will be compelled to "cover it up" again.  He may have had a point.

I believe this. When I start losing 'old' weight (weight not put on recently) it triggers random old memories. Things long forgotten that I never would have remembered pop into my head. Its kinda weird. Hasn't happened for a while cause unfortunately I've a got a few layers of recent fat to lose first!

#52 SCG23

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 03 February 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

In my friends case, the "no sugar" rule extends to most fruit, so while I consider a piece of fruit a delicious snack, quick and easy to get out of the fridge, rinse and eat, it doesn't fit in with her rules.

So she has to make things like sugar free muffins and slices etc to snack on. Her rules apparently allow her to use things like rice malt syrup, and i could never quite figure out how that was more acceptable than a piece of fruit but there you go. The "no sugar" thing never really sat well with me and doesn't seem to be maintainable over the long term anyway.

I've found that since I switched to a healthier, whole food eating plan, most sugar has gone anyway. We certainly don't use any, and any sugar that I consume would be from fruit and maybe tomato sauce or tinned soup that I have occasionally.

Goodness me! Does she not realise that rice malt syrup and honey are other forms of sugar?

I've also never understood the love of coconut oil either.

As for fruit, dietary guidelines are stating that one serve of fruit a day is all that is needed, to keep sugar in the diet down. I rarely eat fruit, just blueberries with breakfast a few times a week. I try to fill up on vegetables instead.

#53 RemyBlue

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

View PostPocketGingerJingle, on 03 February 2019 - 10:23 AM, said:

Op, I know you said you have chronic health issues so you're probably on top of this but have you had a general check up recently including blood tests for iron, blood sugar, thyroid etc? Just incase something has gone off balance since Christmas!

Thank you PocketGingerJingle. Yes there are several things working against me unfortunately. I have lupus. An iron absorption issue. Thyroid issues. To name a few!! I’m under the care of my GP, rheumatologist and endocrinologist so lucky to have several commited and fantastic healthcare professionals supporting me. I’m hoping to get my weight back on track again, even a little bit, before any of my next appointments as they were all so pleased with my weight loss!

#54 Pocket...

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

Im glad you have be great professionals working with you. It makes a huge difference to have people you can trust. :)

#55 Sincerely

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

View Postnight jasmine, on 02 February 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

I do believe in the body weight set point theory, and that your body will try to creep back to the weight it is used to sitting at. However, the set point can be adjusted over time provided each new weight is maintained for a while.

When there is an excess of calorie intake, each individual adipocyte both stores fat and multiplies so there are more cells to store fat. When calorie intake decreases, each adipocyte might shrink a bit, but it takes quite a while for a fraction of the adipocytes to die by apoptosis, which means as soon as the calorie intake increases again, the adipocytes quickly swell again.

As you & other PPs have suggested, the secret is to focus on sustaining less calorie intake/weight loss rather than losing weight rapidly and then 'falling off the diet bandwagon.

#56 Talya24

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

Hi RemyBlue,

I feel you very much. I lost 9kg before Christmas and gave myself permission from December first to enjoy the holiday season. Boy was that a learning experience for me. I went from my sensible lifestyle which wasn't overly restrictive, but healthy enough that I lost 9kg over 4 months, to gaining back 4kg when I just ate anything and everything.

This year I am taking a whole new approach. I've been dieting on and off since I was mocked for being overweight at 15, I'm now 32. So needless to say I'm exhausted. I also want to try for a baby end of this year, so I'm taking this whole year to prepare my body, finances and mind. So I'm taking a sensible approach, not being overly restrictive, not cutting out whole food groups and doing some weights and body weight exercises as well as going on walks.

As a few others have said, I feel psychology has a huge role to play with weightloss. With me personally, I dont lose any weight unless I can get in the right frame of mind.

I also wanted to quickly add that in all my diet experimentation, I have tried low carb, low fat, low carb and high fat at the same time. The low carb worked ok and low fat, reasonably high protein, whole food carbs worked really well. But the low carb high fat caused my a lot of hormone issues, think constant spotting, irrational rage and poor sleep.

I think you need to find what works for you and your body and especially what is sustainable.

I wish you well on your journey and hope I've been of some help.

#57 .Jerry.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:29 AM

Calories in, calories out is really what it is about.  Obviously there are variations in this:  metabolism; other illnesses etc.

I tell people that I have lost my weight by "eating less, and eating less often".
I haven't really stuck to a calorie intake.  I just aimed to be less.
I halved my meal size - use a bread and butter plate.
If I had a "treat food", I ate half of it.  I did skip some meals when I wasn't really hungry.
I did also learn to live with a little hunger.
My willpower kicked in, whereas in the past my willpower was not strong.  Don't know what the difference was this time though.  

Even if you slowly decrease your meal size, and slowly start to curb snacking, it will make an impact.
It is very hard.

As a sidenote, and completely without facts, I do find that decreasing carbs (refined) helps.  Bread can be a killer in calories.

#58 RemyBlue

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

Well I’ve spent the last 3 (almost 4 now) days following some advice from this thread. I’m not going to say I’m back on track yet but my head is in a much better space and I’m being kinder to myself. I’ve actually done quite well getting back into some of the good habits I spent 7 months forming last year and I’m working in some of the new ideas I’ve been given. I thought I was on top of it but every time someone posted there was something knew for me to consider and it’s been the biggest help.

Thanks for the support everyone. Putting it all out here on eb has been very therapeutic.

Edited to add. I got on the scales this morning and the improvement already just from stopping all the junk eating and drinking lots of water was noticeable. About 2kgs just from that small change.

Edited by RemyBlue, 05 February 2019 - 02:08 PM.

#59 SCG23

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:08 PM

That's awesome news, RemyBlue!

Maybe sharing what it is we have for meals might help each other make some small changes that make a difference.

Tonight, Spaghetti Bolognaise was on the menu. I usually add diced capsicum and some grated zucchini. Everyone has spaghetti here because they're active whereas I have some steamed beans, carrots and a few peas with the Bolognaise on top. It's filling and yummy.

#60 PizzaSteve

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

Congrats RemyBlue! It’s always so good to see a quick loss. I am doing 16:8 plus cutting calories since Monday and feeling good about it at the moment. Focus is definitely on doing something sustainable in the long term.

#61 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Well done you!!!

#62 gracie1978

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:31 PM

Amazing effort, heading in the right direction.

I started a new job this week and I've walked to work both days :)

#63 Pocket...

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:56 PM

Well done RemiBlue! That's fantastic!

I'm not going to share my meals yet. I'm not in the right place to stay up again so it's not going to benefit anyone. I'm going to start on Monday but try to be sensible in the meantime.

#64 MangoSplash

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:34 PM

I will apologise in advance because I'm not good at saying things without coming across as matter of fact, or blunt.  I am not trying to offend you at all(or anyone else), so I hope I don't.  I would like to help you and encourage you.

I would look at this from the perspective of not having put back on all of the weight you lost, so you are actually still in front.  You are in a better position than when you started.

We all mess up in life, in one way or another, and being real with ourselves is the best way to overcome this.  You are already there and you should feel proud of yourself for that alone.

You realize that you are eating too much and that is the first and bravest step.  You have lost weight before and you can do it again.  Seven months of diet control is awesome!  Be proud of yourself and take it as proof that you can do this.

Things that help me are wearing tight fitting pants, it's like a reminder to me that I should be conscious of what I'm eating and I don't feel like eating too much when the waistband of my jeans are tight.  I also drink a lot of water.  If I'm looking in the fridge for no good reason, I drink some water or make a cup of tea, then I reassess if I'm actually hungry.  I also think about the consequences of eating whatever and if I will feel better eating it or not eating it.  If I will feel better eating it, I do, but most of the time I know I won't, so I don't.  I find this very empowering and makes me feel like I have control over the food, not the other way around.  Mostly, I think about how I feel and eating right and being active makes me feel better.

Sounds like you are already on your way.  You are worth looking after.

#65 FiveAus

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:29 AM

I like the headspace I get in when I'm successfully losing weight. The clear-eyed focus, the drive to succeed. I like finishing a meal without groaning from eating too much, and I love that I really push myself to walk faster and further.

I hate it when the focus slips and I start giving myself permission to eat food I shouldn't and my mind starts bending the rules. And the weight starts to creep back on.

#66 Jersey Caramel

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

I really recommend reading Dr Amanda Salis - she has some articles online and also a few books (The Never Go Hungry diet) though they are getting older and harder to get now.  But she is a researcher and explains what she calls the "famine reaction" - the physiological state your body goes in to once it thinks you are starving to death. It really makes it virtually impossible to maintain drastic fast continuous weight loss (combines with the set point theory). She suggests losing weight in a step-wise manner, this gives your body time to adjust and it is easier to maintain long term. It may take 2 or 3 years to lose 16kg, but it will be easy for a lot of that time and you will only have to do it once.  She says you must always eat (nutritious food)when you are physically hungry, but the hard part for many of us is learning when we are actually hungry vs craving food for other reasons. Her books are very kind,  understanding,  and about learning to really listen to your body and what it needs.

Best wishes. Please don't feel ashamed - you are a person of worth, regardless of how much you weigh. We have a terrible societal attitude of skinny=good=morally superior and it is simply not true. Of course it is important to look after health,  but that is a completely different thing than what number is on the scale.  Be kind to yourself! Xx

#67 Sincerely

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

View PostMangoSplash, on 05 February 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

Things that help me are wearing tight fitting pants, it's like a reminder to me that I should be conscious of what I'm eating and I don't feel like eating too much when the waistband of my jeans are tight.  I also drink a lot of water.  If I'm looking in the fridge for no good reason, I drink some water or make a cup of tea, then I reassess if I'm actually hungry.  I also think about the consequences of eating whatever and if I will feel better eating it or not eating it.  If I will feel better eating it, I do, but most of the time I know I won't, so I don't.  I find this very empowering and makes me feel like I have control over the food, not the other way around.  Mostly, I think about how I feel and eating right and being active makes me feel better.

Drinking a glass of water or a cup of tea when I look in the fridge or pantry works really well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.