Satelitte TV > foxtel/austar altermatives?

18 replies to this topic

#1 tweedle-dee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

Hi, our monthly foxtel bill is soon to increase by an amount that is more than we get value for money from. Our current connection is satelitte dish as we dont have fast wifi, or nbn at all. Are there any alternatives to foxtel/austar that we could consider that might give us more value for money?

Edited by tweedle-dee, 04 February 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

There is Optus TV

#3 tweedle-dee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:46 AM

Edited by tweedle-dee, 04 February 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#4 tweedle-dee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:47 AM

seayork2002, on 04 February 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

There is Optus TV

Hi Seayork, thanks for suggestion. I've just had a quick look at optus and their fetch tv seems to be via broadband or nbn, neither of which are suitable for our area. Is optus tv different to fetch?

#5 Caribou

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

You should have least ADSL? They still work really well with Netflix and Stan.

Other option is Fetch TV. same thing needs internet. You can subscribe to channel packs for $6 a month. I like it.

and yes, Optus TV is different to fetch.

same idea, but different in terms of channels available.

#6 tweedle-dee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

Caribou, on 04 February 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

You should have least ADSL? They still work really well with Netflix and Stan.

Other option is Fetch TV. same thing needs internet. You can subscribe to channel packs for $6 a month. I like it.
We do have adsl, but when we have trialled netflix / stan in the past, it has been quite grainy with lots of buffering / delays in quality

#7 MarciaB

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

Call Foxtel.

They seem to be quite keen to bargain (I recently called to cancel and had 3 different offers to choose from. 2 came in the first phone call which I said no to - then they called back).

#8 tweedle-dee

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

Thanks MarciaB, i did speak with them, but foxtel arent keen to keep this long term customer by negotiating, hence my quest for an alternative provider.

#9 MarciaB

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

tweedle-dee, on 04 February 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

Thanks MarciaB, i did speak with them, but foxtel arent keen to keep this long term customer by negotiating, hence my quest for an alternative provider.

If your current package is more than they are offering new customers call back and hold your ground for leaving.

You can always call back in a couple of days and re-join.

My Mum is rural and has ADSL and Netflix does work - it isn't great quality compared to what we have - but perfectly watchable.

Maybe work with your internet provider too?

#10 MarciaB

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

This is what I have at the moment while I figure out whether I want to keep it or not:

https://markblogs.co...able-satellite/

$10 a month is worth it to me.

#11 hills mum bec

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

Are there other options for your internet so that you can use Netflix or Stan?  We live in a rural area with poor ADSL speeds and no NBN, we switched to a fixed wireless connection with a satellite dish on our roof and we can now watch Netflix with no problems.  The internet company we use is Nuskope but it would depend on if you have any internet providers like this in your area.

#12 tweedle-dee

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 05 February 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Are there other options for your internet so that you can use Netflix or Stan?  We live in a rural area with poor ADSL speeds and no NBN, we switched to a fixed wireless connection with a satellite dish on our roof and we can now watch Netflix with no problems.

Thanks, that's an idea I hadn't considered.

#13 tweedle-dee

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

Tell me, is netflix / stan like austar/foxtel in that i could just "channel surf" what's on at the immediate point in time, or do you actually have to select a specific show to watch? My feeling is that foxtel has more variety than stan / netflx but good chance im wrong in my thoughts?

#14 hills mum bec

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

View Posttweedle-dee, on 12 February 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

Tell me, is netflix / stan like austar/foxtel in that i could just "channel surf" what's on at the immediate point in time, or do you actually have to select a specific show to watch? My feeling is that foxtel has more variety than stan / netflx but good chance im wrong in my thoughts?

I have never used Stan so can't comment on that but there are no channels on Netflix, you need to select what you want to watch and it streams it through the internet.  You can search for stuff by categories and they do have good descriptions about stuff and there are trailers you can watch.  Once you start watching a few things then Netflix will start suggesting things for you to watch that are similar to what you have already watched.  I find Netflix excellent for a good variety of TV series but pretty woeful for movie choices whereas Foxtel is better for movies.

#15 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

^^ I agree, we have Stan as well and they have all the Avenger movies, all the James Bond movies (not that I watch but just examples!) and Netflix has pretty much Woeful selection of straight to video or stuff you’ve seen 1000 times. Netflix has great selections for TV series though, like produce their own, which are fantastic. Stan also has pretty fun trashy comedy stuff as well if you into that.

#16 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

my parents have satellite internet.  They have quite a good deal through telstra, they have foxtel included (basic package) and the telstra T-box thing, and they use netflix as well, between all that and free to air TV they have heaps of content.

Id shop around for a better internet deal, get your internet speeds investigated (netflix should work, it doesn't need much speed) and then sign up to netflix and stan again.

#17 piggyinthemiddle

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostMarciaB, on 05 February 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

If your current package is more than they are offering new customers call back and hold your ground for leaving.

You can always call back in a couple of days and re-join.

My Mum is rural and has ADSL and Netflix does work - it isn't great quality compared to what we have - but perfectly watchable.

Maybe work with your internet provider too?

Unfortunately it doesn't work this way for long term customers as we found recently. T
hey charge a reconnection fee to discourage this course of action. Foxtel's strategy is to reward new connections.

Edited by piggyinthemiddle, 13 February 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#18 MarciaB

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:12 PM

View Postpiggyinthemiddle, on 13 February 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work this way for long term customers as we found recently. T
hey charge a reconnection fee to discourage this course of action. Foxtel's strategy is to reward new connections.

I honestly think it depends who you talk to.

I have been a Foxtel customer for 9 years - phoned to disconnect and immediately offered one of 3 packages.  When I insisted I wanted to cancel - they called back later that day with another option which I accepted.

My Mum (who was a 7 year customer) did not get an offer at all when she asked to be disconnected.  However they called her back a couple of days later and discounted her current offer to that being offered to new customers and sent her an upgraded IQ4 box for  no charge.

Neither of us had ever tried to renegotiate before (in 9 and 7 years respectively) so maybe that is why??

It is so inconsistent - I was honestly ready to be done with it but happy for my $10 a month offer at the moment.

Also if you call before your current month is up - you have until the end of that billing period - hence no reconnection fee if you change your mind as it isn't actually disconnected.  That is what both myself and my mother were told.  Having said that we were both absolutely ready to be done if it came to it.

Edited by MarciaB, 13 February 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#19 MarciaB

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostMarciaB, on 13 February 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

I honestly think it depends who you talk to.

I have been a Foxtel customer for 9 years - phoned to disconnect and immediately offered one of 3 packages.  When I insisted I wanted to cancel - they called back later that day with another option which I accepted.

My Mum (who was a 7 year customer) did not get an offer at all when she asked to be disconnected.  However they called her back a couple of days later and discounted her current offer to that being offered to new customers and sent her an upgraded IQ4 box for  no charge.

Neither of us had ever tried to renegotiate before (in 9 and 7 years respectively) so maybe that is why??

It is so inconsistent - I was honestly ready to be done with it but happy for my $10 a month offer at the moment.

Also if you call before your current month is up - you have until the end of that billing period - hence no reconnection fee if you change your mind as it isn't actually disconnected.  That is what both myself and my mother were told.  Having said that we were both absolutely ready to be done if it came to it.

There is a Foxtel bargaining thread on another forum which I probably can't name which tells of many similar stories - I only found it recently when I was checking out a problem with my phone - but the stories on there are absolutely consistent with my experience.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.