Teenage Dental work - are they 'overservicing' ?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 iwanttosleepin

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:02 PM

My parents are both dentists (now retired).  They say over servicing is rampant in the industry.  They were so busy their whole careers they didn't have time for overservicing.

There is some changing mindset over fissure sealants.

Myself and my siblings all had ours done in the 80/90s.  but my parents have never suggested it for any of my kids.  (and they get free treatment).

Orthodontists are the worst for over treatment.  I have a kid with a complicated situation.  I am ignoring all of it until he has all adult teeth and we can assess properly.  My current orthodontist said 'yeah, could do lots now - probably won't make much difference'.  so we will just wait and see and do it all at once.

#27 teejay

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

Sorry haven't read the whole thread but was shocked at the cost for the checkup. DS 14 just had a checkup, X-ray for wisdom teeth placement and then scale and clean. No out of pocket at all ( was $220 all up).

#28 littlepickle

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I too came across that article in today’s media and thought it was interesting and very relevant to the thread. Will update you all in a couple of weeks with the outcome.

#29 RuntotheRiver

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

Our dentist has a camera  and puts the pic on a TV screen, so you can see the ‘evidence’ of any issues he has found.

I need 6 monthly X-rays, to get onto things quick. X 2 Jaw surgery’s -  unfortunate hereditary issues.

I have had people say root canals were cheaper elsewhere, when they went to put a crown on it - overall price was the same.

#30 WaitForMe

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostRuntotheRiver, on 21 February 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

Our dentist has a camera  and puts the pic on a TV screen, so you can see the ‘evidence’ of any issues he has found.

I need 6 monthly X-rays, to get onto things quick. X 2 Jaw surgery’s -  unfortunate hereditary issues.

I have had people say root canals were cheaper elsewhere, when they went to put a crown on it - overall price was the same.

Yeah but its not like we are trained in interpreting the pics/xrays.

I'm highly suspicious since I was told I needed four root canals and caps. I got two done, without any cover, with the view to saving up for the other two. A year later I went to another dentist and absolutely no mention of it. This happened several years ago and those two teeth remaining have yet to need any work done. I'm still extremely p*ssed off about it.

#31 Clementinerose

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

I think your dentist is fairly pricey altogether. It wouldn’t hurt to see someone else or ask for a quote elsewhere if your concerned about the cost

#32 mayahlb

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

I’d go get a 2nd opinion. Considering how much I handed over just on Wednesday I’m not surprised at the bill. The dentist we use charges $75 JUST for an oral exam. Never mind the $140 price take for a clean and scale. Health fund paid $220 for the $759 bill...

I have a cheaper dentist I use (who is also a members first provider so I get more back from my health fund). But he’s no where near as good with kids.

#33 essentiallyme

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Does anyone know what the going rate is for root canal therapy on one tooth?

#34 RuntotheRiver

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

Wait for me - I could see the dark spot they were talking about, I didn’t have to interpret X-rays.

Other than that, I had pain that was shocking,  so knew there was something wrong.

There is shonky in everything... referrals from friends is a good way to go.

#35 Chchgirl

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

I don't know about the quote but the difference in pricing amazes me!

I took my 17 year old on Friday for the she service here on the gold coast (checking wisdom teeth, xrsys, clean and scale) which was $260...Although I didn't pay as I have the $1000 per year dental benefit scheme through family assistance which I used.

Found one wisdom tooth which doesn't need to he removed as yet.

#36 RuntotheRiver

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Root canals are a few thousand or more,  including crown.

Get a full quote as some quotes are less crown and I think that’s about $1000 on its own.

#37 Greatmum

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

I paid around $1000 for root canal and crown. Am in Sydney.

#38 RuntotheRiver

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:24 PM

In Melbs the crown is $800-$1000, maybe they make the in Sydney!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.