Batch cooking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drat

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

About to have #2 in a month. 'Trying' to get a bit orgniased in terms of food etc.

I've started freezing leftovers to stock up a little bit but i'm wondering if I should just be doing heaps of batch cooking now. I'm awful with food shopping and organisiation. I hate food shopping but somehow I still end up being there every other day!!

How do you go with batch cooking?

What are some of your favourite recipes?

What seems to freeze the best?

Any other tips :)

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

i found making dinners my older child would eat to be the best thing. So for him, savoury mince, spaghetti bolognase & zucchini slice were the 3 things I made up & froze in toddler sized portions.

That way if things went to poo, I could make sure his schedule was on track & it was one less problem to deal with. I could then wait for DH to get home to organise our dinner (either me or him would cook).

#3 BBC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Spag Bol mix and mexi mince freezes well

#4 Silverstreak

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

lasagne and spaghetti bolognese
Chicken, beef or lamb curry
home made beef mince burgers with cheese on top
Pumpkin soup

#5 Riotproof

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

It really depends on what you like to eat. And what you want it for. Do you want to have Things on hand or do you want to put a whole meal in the oven/microwave.

Bolognese sauce
Curry

#6 Kallie88

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

Before #3 I did some big batch cooks.

First with mince - big batch of onion, garlic, mince, blitzed beans and mushrooms for the base, then split into 2: 1 for bolognese flavoring (diced tomatoes, tomato paste, capsicum, grated carrot and zucchini) the other a more taco/ spicy flavor for chili con carne etc. (I still use bought spice mixes for this, eventually I plan to make my own, plus grated carrot and zucchini). Cooked up pasta and rice and froze in individual portions. 1 adult portion is enough for both the big kids.

Second batch was chicken cacciatore and ratatouille with chicken, big batch of rice and again frozen in individual portions.

I also did some home made sausage rolls for snacks and a stew in the slow cooker. I also have several meals that I tend to do big cooks of when I make them so they get frozen for leftovers: spaghetti, butter chicken, stroganoff, any stir fry I usually get a meal or two extra from.

Really handy to just nuke a leftover meal and variety means we can all have something different I'd we want. I love individual portions as well coz I can use them for lunch too. Especially since DH often just had sandwiches with the kids and that's not really my thing

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

It’s good if you can buy those disposable aluminum food trays with cardboard lids. You can make up shepherds pie and lasagne in them. The freeze well, stack well and can go directly in the oven to reheat.

Other than that, bolognaise, curries, soups. I like to store them in a few different portion sizes.

#8 Drat

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 10 February 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

It really depends on what you like to eat. And what you want it for. Do you want to have Things on hand or do you want to put a whole meal in the oven/microwave.

Bolognese sauce
Curry

Yeah good question.

It would be good to have stuff that I can just put the whole thing in the oven/microwave I think.

View PostPrincessPeach, on 10 February 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

i found making dinners my older child would eat to be the best thing. So for him, savoury mince, spaghetti bolognase & zucchini slice were the 3 things I made up & froze in toddler sized portions.

That way if things went to poo, I could make sure his schedule was on track & it was one less problem to deal with. I could then wait for DH to get home to organise our dinner (either me or him would cook).

She eats whatever we eat and generally is happy with most things. Her top choice of foods would be chicken/pork/steak/lamb, cherry tomatoes, fetta cheese, rice, broccoli, avo, pasta.

Is there anything that doesn't freeze well?

#9 littlepickle

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

When our friends have had #2 or #3 I have always batch cooked freezer friendly foods that their older kids enjoy in single portions as gifts:

Mini lasgana
Tuna Mornay
Pasta and roasted vegetable sauce (pureed sauce for those kids that have issues with texture)
Meatballs
Zucchini slice

All in BPA friendly containers that can be thrown away (recycled)

I can confirm that sorting out the toddler first and then the adults is so much easier in the first 2- 4 weeks.

#10 QuirkyMum

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 10 February 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

It’s good if you can buy those disposable aluminum food trays with cardboard lids. You can make up shepherds pie and lasagne in them. The freeze well, stack well and can go directly in the oven to reheat.

Other than that, bolognaise, curries, soups. I like to store them in a few different portion sizes.
This!
I made many many family size lasagnas.
Rissoles (mince with rice and veggies) in sauce.
Stuffed capsicums(mince with brown rice) in onion+carrot+tomato sauce.
Cabbage rolls in above sauce.
Lentil lasagnas.
All of the above in foil trays, each enough to feed 4-5 people. From freezer straight to the oven and freshly cooked food in an hour.
I also had lots of cooked pumpkin soup in the freezer.
Frozen rice is handy to quickly make fried rice.

#11 #mocha

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

TBH, I found the slow cooker a life saver.

I always found a couple of minutes at some point in the day, to throw a few ingredients in.  I found it great as everyone could eat at different times, if needed and it was always hot.

Some of my favourite things were, mince for spaghetti bog or tacos.  Beef or chicken stroganoff, pot roasts, chickens, soups, curry, chilli, ossobuco, lamb shanks, corn beef, casserole, goulash, pulled pork, curry sausages.  

I used it more for convenience, once I got into it, I was surprised at how many different things I could cook. I personally found it better than frozen foods as I always found 4-6pm really hard.

#12 Drat

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

View Post#mocha, on 10 February 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

TBH, I found the slow cooker a life saver.

I always found a couple of minutes at some point in the day, to throw a few ingredients in.  I found it great as everyone could eat at different times, if needed and it was always hot.

Some of my favourite things were, mince for spaghetti bog or tacos.  Beef or chicken stroganoff, pot roasts, chickens, soups, curry, chilli, ossobuco, lamb shanks, corn beef, casserole, goulash, pulled pork, curry sausages.  

I used it more for convenience, once I got into it, I was surprised at how many different things I could cook. I personally found it better than frozen foods as I always found 4-6pm really hard.

I will definitely be doing heaps of slow cooker stuff. I love my slow cooker!

#13 boatiebabe

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

I just did a huge batch of cooking on the weekend because the kids after school activity schedules are all over the place and I wanted to ensure healthy meals that the family could reheat quickly.

I made:

Spaghetti bolognese sauce
Vegetarian pasta sauce (my DD is a vegetarian)
Chicken Swedish meatballs
Vegetable and chick pea curry
Vegetarian chilli
Lemon chicken vegetable and kale soup

I froze it all in individual servings (or for two) so that it could easily be defrosed, rice or pasta cooked and dinner could be on the table in 15 minutes or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.