Heating and Cooling options

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:13 PM

Doing extension/renovation.

Single storey at front then split level double storey at back.

Builder has said my preferred option of Gas ducted heating and add on ducted aircon not possible.

So should I go reverse cycle for heating/cooling? Or should I keep gas ducted for Downstairs and Reverse cycle deating Upstairs .

What as your thoughts for heating.... is gas or reverse cycle better?

ETA in Melbourne so heating is important (as well as aircon for summer - our house is east west aligned so all rooms have north facing windows.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 10 February 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:09 PM

Well we have both, gas ducted downstairs, and reverse cycle A/C downstairs and upstairs. I find in winter the ducted heater does a much better job at heating, it’s warmer, less blowy, warms the house the quickest.  If it’s really cold I’ll put both on just to get the house up to temp but the gas ducted stays on most the day not the a/c.

Upstairs we only have the reverse cycle a/c. But in winter upstairs doesn’t need much heating cause hot air rises up there anyway. So it wasnt really an issue.

So I say do both, gas ducted downstairs and reverse  cycle upstairs and downstairs.

Also keep in mind that the price of gas is high and tipped to go higher, so the running costs between the two will be almost the same.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 10 February 2019 - 05:10 PM.

#3 Mands09

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Gas is terrible for the environment so if you are plannnong on solar panels then definitely have an RCAC system.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

View PostMands09, on 10 February 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

Gas is terrible for the environment so if you are plannnong on solar panels then definitely have an RCAC system.

The OP didn’t mention solar panels??

Our solar system isn’t enough to run our A/C and our home as well, it helps, but we still use mostly grid power, which is generated by coal or gas (in Victoria). In winter our solar panels barely generate at all, so it’s all grid power, so gas ducted heating doesn’t make a difference to us as far as environmental concerns go. Modern gas ducted systems are pretty efficient with their gas usage too. (As long as you get a good system, don’t get a cheap one)

#5 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

Not the question you asked, but have you chosen good insulation? We insulated the walls as well as ceiling, plus double glazed windows. This has made a big difference to how cold our new house gets vs the old one. We have zoned gas ducted on both floors but rarely use it upstairs as it doesn't get that cold (except at night, but then people are in bed).

Also, upstairs gets a fair bit hotter than downstairs in summer (I'm sure you already know that though). I regret not being able to put a few more windows on the south to catch the breeze at night.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 11 February 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

Yes double glazed windows for all windows and good insulation in new area, but old part of the house is still old insulation (weatherboard Cottage). It is the old part Downstairs which could do gas still. Kids bedrooms and rumpus are upstairs.

Unfortunately south side is boundary so without windows.

#7 can'tstayaway

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 10 February 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Builder has said my preferred option of Gas ducted heating and add on ducted aircon not possible.

So should I go reverse cycle for heating/cooling? Or should I keep gas ducted for Downstairs and Reverse cycle deating Upstairs .
Why isn’t the gas ducted possible?

What’s the layout of the house like?  Is the old downstairs area bedrooms or living area?  

We have ducted RC and it is effective. The modern units are not as blowy or drying as the old RC units were.  My favourite heating is hydronic and I would love to have solar hydronic installed if I ever built from scratch.

#8 jensta

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

We have similar house design, but in Sydney, so evap cooling not an option with the humidity. We have gas ducted heating with refrigerated cooling added on. In summer the heat accumulates upstairs, particularly the rooms with north facing windows and no verandahs, so the cooling is used to combat this upstairs before bedtime. Downstairs no aircon required at all. In winter we mainly heat the downstairs living for comfort, which also takes the edge of the cold upstairs in the bedrooms as the heat rises. Perhaps ensure you have different zones so that you can accommodate what the house actually needs, instead if trying to heat and cool an entire house?

eta I love gas heating, and we have lived with many different types of heating over the different homes and cities. We move a lotxx

Edited by jensta, 11 February 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#9 foxbread

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:31 PM

I would go for r/c over gas for efficiency, running costs and future proofing. Even if you don't have solar in now, it might be feasible and sensible in a couple of years - gas will only ever cost more but electricity you might generate yourself one day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.