Measles death - Europe

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 MurderBritches

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

My kids have been vaccinated with everything on the schedule except for CP as they were just over the age that it was introduced. They both caught it so all good.

I was not vaccinated for measles, mumps, rubella or Cp and I had them all. I was born in 74 and had measles when I was 3, mumps when I was about 8 or 9, rubella when I was 12 and CP when I was 14. I can remember all of them and the worst one was CP for me.

I can understand someone whose child has had a reaction to a previous vaccine being hesitant to try again. I get it. No parent wouldn't get it.

What I cannot understand, and will not accept, is a non vaxxer for anything. And you know what gets me? Most, if not all, non vaxxing parents have been vaccinated themselves. So are they saying that there is something wrong with themselves? That vaccines damaged them in some way? Made them less intelligent? If so then maybe we need to look at the vaccines as they must have something in them *sarcasmtherepeeps*

I have always said that we shouldn't kill the stupid people. Just remove the safety features and let nature take its course. So on that note maybe we should refuse to treat the children of non vaxxers on the grounds that nature is taking its course when they contract a deadly disease that can be prevented by a vaccine.

And by the way...love the children of non/lax vaxxers that are taking their health into their own hands and getting themselves vaccinated once the parental access to the medicare records is stopped.

#27 ipsee

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

I just read that the ACT government funds free Measles vaccinations for adults who missed the second dose and were born in or after 1966.

An adult vaccination register would be a good idea, as if you moved schools it is hard to know what vaccinations you actually had.

#28 .Jerry.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

I am a late 60s baby and most definitely had measles, along with my siblings, in the early to mid 1970s.

I those days it was (sadly) routine to get measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox.
Glad we now have the vaccinations.

#29 Luci

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Heartbreaking story but thanks for posting Spikey.

#30 WaitForMe

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

This article just popped up in my feed:
Teens rebel against antivax parents
https://www.thedaily...et-vaccinations

#31 Jenflea

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

I think there are 3 current cases of measles in the ACT right now.

#32 Mooples

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Post#mocha, on 11 February 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Why didn’t the hospital put the boy in isolation?

Good question. Dh had the measles a few years ago. Within minutes of being at the packed hospital emergency room he was whisked away into isolation (and that was before they even knew what he had). He then spent 5 days in complete isolation in one of those air tight rooms with 2 doors and it’s own air circulation system. Everyone had to completely gown up to go in. They took it extremely seriously. It was truly horrible for him, I’ve never seen him so sick. I would never wish it upon anyone.

#33 PrincessPeach

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 11 February 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

This article just popped up in my feed:
Teens rebel against antivax parents
https://www.thedaily...et-vaccinations

I saw that. I'm filing that information away to palm off to my nephews when they get older.

#34 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

What a terrible shame.

Presumably the hospital didn't know the first child had measles until it was too late.

I was born mid 70s and I had measles as an infant. As such, apparently our GP said I didn't need to be vaccinated. :omg: I vividly recall suffering mumps when I was 7 or 8, in the 1980s. Wish they'd given me the MMR.

#35 TrixieBelden

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

I’ve seen one kid with measles in my career and had to look up the rash to check because it’s so rare.

Have also seen one kid with epiglotttitis since the Hib immunisation started. Not vaccinated and they died.  A truly awful conversation with the parents.

Yet there are still people who think their googling skills are better than the scientific knowledge of an immunologist. The self-absorption beggars belief.

#36 purplekitty

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 11 February 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Have also seen one kid with epiglotttitis since the Hib immunisation started. Not vaccinated and they died.  A truly awful conversation with the parents.
Epiglottis is one that I think many people are unaware of and how serious it was.
Very scary.

#37 DaLittleEd

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

Thank you to all the people here who vaccinate!

I am another who seems to not retain immunity to rubella and measles vaccines. I had them checked before ttc and had no immunity so got the vaccine. Had them checked again a couple of years later, only borderline immunity. Scary.

#38 Fresh Start

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

Does the blood test before TTC check all these immunities?

#39 DaLittleEd

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:55 PM

I definitely had rubella checked, and I think measles?

#40 ipsee

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

I think they just check rubella pre-TTC, but I'm not sure.

Mine wasn't checked for measles, I was just given the extra vaccination.

#41 *Spikey*

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

https://www.theguard...med?CMP=soc_567

And more....

#42 purplekitty

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:53 PM

70 deaths in the last month in the Philippines due to Measles.
Harmless disease,my fat a*se.

The Philippines is in the midst of a growing measles crisis, with at least 70 deaths, mainly of children, in the past month.
In January, there were 4,302 reported cases of measles in the country, an increase of 122% on the same period last year. The outbreak has been blamed on a backlash against vaccinations.
The outbreak has continued into January. Last week, a measles outbreak was declared in Metro Manila – populated by 12 million people with many living in poverty-stricken slums. This follows 196 reported cases in January, compared to just 20 recorded in the same period last year. In Manila, 55 children under the age of four have died of measles since the beginning of the year.
https://www.theguard...med?CMP=soc_568

ETA:Snap Spikey.

Edited by purplekitty, 12 February 2019 - 03:54 PM.

#43 MurderBritches

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

Would those deaths have been exacerbated by the lack of medical care not necessarily the disease itself? I would like to see statistics comparing deaths in similarly populated areas with better healthcare.

Either which way vaccination would make some difference.

#44 Lunafreya

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

I’d be worried about Japan too. They’ve recently reversed mandatory vaccination policy and have had a spike in measles cases. It’s a popular travel destination and we get lots of tourists from Japan as well as extremely densely populated, high risk of infection.

https://www.japantim...ination-policy/

The one thing they have in their favour is they have a culture of cleanliness that far exceeds our own in the West as well as wearing masks if you are sick.

#45 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

View PostMurderBritches, on 12 February 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

Would those deaths have been exacerbated by the lack of medical care not necessarily the disease itself? I would like to see statistics comparing deaths in similarly populated areas with better healthcare.

Either which way vaccination would make some difference.

Wikipedia says:

The risk of death among those infected is about 0.2%,but may be up to 10% in people with malnutrition. Most of those who die from the infection are less than five years old.
https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/Measles

#46 Guest_Starlia_*

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

Then there are people like this given airtime. Glad to hear they're 'slowly healing' from those horrendous vaccinations that might have saved their lives.
Stupidity. It's everywhere.

https://www.news.com...48b28a1c61ed1c3

#47 Lesley225

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:40 AM

I was born in the mid 60s and I don't think any of the vaccinations were common til the later 70 by then we'd all had it all.

The measles vaccine was around but within a couple of years of  it coming out I had a really bad dose  of measles which made me lactose intolerant.  I also caught everything else Rubella and the vaccination except for mumps which my sister which whom I shared a bedroom had.

All i remember from my childhood was the polio one.  I really don't think it was common to get them in the late 60s early 70s.

#48 opethmum

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

View Postpurplekitty, on 12 February 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

70 deaths in the last month in the Philippines due to Measles.
Harmless disease,my fat a*se.

The Philippines is in the midst of a growing measles crisis, with at least 70 deaths, mainly of children, in the past month.
In January, there were 4,302 reported cases of measles in the country, an increase of 122% on the same period last year. The outbreak has been blamed on a backlash against vaccinations.
The outbreak has continued into January. Last week, a measles outbreak was declared in Metro Manila – populated by 12 million people with many living in poverty-stricken slums. This follows 196 reported cases in January, compared to just 20 recorded in the same period last year. In Manila, 55 children under the age of four have died of measles since the beginning of the year.
https://www.theguard...med?CMP=soc_568

ETA:Snap Spikey.

Unfortunately the Philippines has legitimate concerns over vaccines. Sanofi a major drug manufacturer and vaccine provider actually used the country as a guinea pig for major vaccine trials for dengue fever that had major ramifications for women and children. The Philippine population have a right to be concerned as they have been royally screwed over in so many ways and Sanofi has yet to provide any compensation over the matter.

I think that all vaccines should have all ingredients listed and that people should make informed consent of all ingredients going into their bodies, We are all different, we all process things in different ways and that is ok. Some companies do not do adequate bio compatibility trials and some barely scrape through the accreditation process with the TGA. The TGA is a joke as they require less from drug manufacturers. I have heard some horror stories from industry professionals of whom I am close friends with.

I am not anti vaccination and I do see the benefits and my family is vaccinated but there needs to be more publicly available data and also in the GP consultations the drs need to properly list all ingredients and take into consideration the individuals health history to make sure that no vaccine injuries occur.

I do think there has been a lot of vaccine injuries out there in the population and that there is validity in their concerns. I do not ascribe that vaccines cause Autism as Autism has an epigenetic component  to the neuro diverse condition. I do think that certain reactions can alter brain chemistry and can affect neurological outcomes and physical health. Vaccines are a broad spectrum medicine and there are going to be people who have adverse reactions as everyone processes the vaccine differently.

#49 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostFresh Start, on 11 February 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

For me blood test before TTC was to confirm blood type (Rh Negative - I knew from a short stint donating blood but Drs wanted to reconfirm), and Rubella (aka German Measles).

I remember my sister’s Dr added in Chicken Pox for her tests.

Neither of us were tested pre TTC for Measles. I had my immunity checked years ago during an outbreak close to MILs to ensure I was covered and DD got her 4yo Immunisation slightly early for her 2nd MMR shot too (MIL looked after DD 2 days a week).

Starlia - yes crazy that they are given airtime.

#50 EmmDasher

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostFresh Start, on 11 February 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

It depends on your practitioner and what you ask for. Some people won’t even see a GP before TTC, only after they’re pregnant.

I asked for broad immunity screening and also vitamin/mineral deficiency checks. I’m 99% sure I wouldn’t have been offered tests that broad if I hadn’t asked. I think they were only going to do chicken pox, rubella and iron/folate until I askrd them to widen it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.