Considering elective C Section instead of VBAC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nephthysa

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

I am currently 31 weeks long with number two and no1 is 13 months 😳 so will be 15 months at term. I had a c section with him due to failure to progress after my waters broke at 39+4 and only getting to 3cm. I have found a new OB this time around (previous OB is no longer practicing) who is very supportive of VBAC as that is what I wanted - or thought I did.

However, I am now seriously considering electing for a second C section due to a few reasons. My LO is very attached to me and will not settle for anyone else, let alone sleep (except for dad sometimes). If I go into labour, who knows how long I will be unavailable, leaving him with possibly my mum who works full time if she is available. Or leaving him with dad, leaving me unaccompanied in the labour ward. Either would leave me worrying, not sure that is conducive to labour let alone attempting a VBAC.

Also, my DH is self employed, so any time he is not working means we take a hit in income, which obviously is not as important as me at this time, but anything we can do to mitigate this would be helpful. Scheduling his time is very important as he is on call 24/7 with his industry and clients across Australia.

My recovery was not an issue last time around, I was up next day and taking only panadol and voltaren so not too concerned about that.

I also need to book a hospital visit from an IBCLC who diagnosed LOs tongue tie last year and saved us from further time in the MBU, got both of us off meds, and is the best thing that happened to us. I will be having her check new bub over for tt- I trust her for this. Having birth scheduled helps immensely with this.

The main reason I wanted to attempt a VBAC was due to having to pick up my LO and chase after him - he’s been walking since just before 11 months and is now running. So being active is pretty important.

Hospital stay isn’t much different with either option - 4 days vs 5 - so not part of the decision really.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

#2 2004member

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

I had a VBAC and used hypnobirthing as a calming method. In total I spent around 17 hours in hospital. It was amazing.

If you have a straightforward birth that would be much easier than a CS. If you have worries of any nature try hypnobirthing, highly recommend.

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

I was in pretty much the same scenario as you.  DD born at 33 weeks, emergency caesar after my waters broke and labour coudn't be stopped.

DS born when DD was 15 months.  She started walking around 13 months.

I had a preplanned elective Caesar.  My mother came over from interstate the week before.  DS was born on a Monday morning, it was all very calm and planned and lovely.

I don't think I ever seriously considered a VBAC.  

My recovery was smooth, and I was home after 4 days - I could have gone earlier, but I wanted those days alone with DS, before DD took over the limelight again.

Even though my first was an emergency Caesar with a level of stress due to DD being premmie, I loved both experiences.  I don't regret either of them for a minute.  I was up and around within 8 hours of each surgery, although used a wheelchair to go to the Special Care nursery to see DD for the first 24 hours or so - that was more due to hospital protocol than my lack of mobility though.

There are a lot of unknowns in childbirth, both vaginal and c-section.  There are always horror stories of terrible recoveries from both.  And the success stories of easy recovery from both.  Go with the decision you are most comfortable with.  Personally, I preferred the pre-planned certainty of the caesar.

#4 Caribou

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

I did a VBAC. While it didn’t work out, and I ended up
With an emergency casear, I found recovering much better than my first.

There’s so many variables. It’s hard to say for sure what the best option is. If I have another I’ll defintely try do a VBAC again, but my expierence of the VBAC and casear was all positive I couldn’t say I’d have preferred to skip the VBAC. I did get the pushing stage, but Curicumstances meant casear.

Good luck. There’s no wrong decision.

#5 nephthysa

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone! It’s nice to hear your experiences, without judgement :)

I honestly think what is holding me back is the “expectation” that babies are supposed to be born a certain way. I know that’s not the case, but it definitely feels like it sometimes. I’m a bit of a control freak too, so any planning I can do is helpful.

#6 AllyK81

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

My OB was very much against a VBAC where the gap between babies is less than 2 years.

You have a small gap and for that reason alone I would go a c-section if I were you.

#7 Luci

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

As mentioned by a PP's there are so many unknowns with birth and absolutely you hear good and bad stories for both vaginal and c-sections.

I have had 3 C-sections (one emergency then 2 planned) and was very fortunate to have an easy and relatively pain free recovery each time.

I don't have any relatives nearby and DH travels a lot for work, so for babies 2 & 3 I really liked knowing when they would be born so I could get Mum to come over from interstate.

Best of luck
Luci xx

#8 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

I had 3cs. They were all meant to be planned but I was a quick cooker so only 1 stayed put for eviction date. So that is my caveat.... you can book in for a cs date, but bubs may have other ideas. Mine arrived 37w5d (38w5d was booked), 37w5d evicted and 36w3d (38w5d booked).

ETA DH works long crazy hours and travels interstate and overseas. My mum was meant to come down at 37wks, so was very shocked when I phoned her at 36w3d telling her to get on the next flight.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 11 February 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#9 Future-self

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

View Postnephthysa, on 11 February 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

The main reason I wanted to attempt a VBAC was due to having to pick up my LO and chase after him - he’s been walking since just before 11 months and is now running. So being active is pretty important.

If that is your main reason then you also have to consider that vaginal birth doesn’t automatically mean being active. Sure Csection does mean a period of careful recovery but tbh the most severely birth injured women I know had vaginal births. Given a friend of mine couldnt lift her toddler for over 6 months and could only shuffle to walk for months too after a vaginal birth it’s worth remembering there’s no absolutes here.

#10 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

I chose a elective csection over a vbac the deciding factor came down to DS2 having an unstable lie, measuring big, (my first had gotten stuck and wasn’t big) so we knew a vbac might not happen. DS2 was booked in for surgery - for 2 weeks after my due date. So we went for the csection earlier then we originally would have had the above factors not been a concern.

#11 **Xena**

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

I have had 5 c-sections :) I don't regret choosing an elective c-section for my second at all. I do find recovery is much quicker and easier after an elective than it was after my emergency one. For most of the elective ones I stayed in hospital for 2 days (my choice). The only one that I stayed in longer for was my last one because of medical issues.

Whilst a part of me likes the thought of giving birth the way nature intended I believe I made the right decision for me.

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 11 February 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I had 3cs. They were all meant to be planned but I was a quick cooker so only 1 stayed put for eviction date. So that is my caveat.... you can book in for a cs date, but bubs may have other ideas. Mine arrived 37w5d (38w5d was booked), 37w5d evicted and 36w3d (38w5d booked).

ETA DH works long crazy hours and travels interstate and overseas. My mum was meant to come down at 37wks, so was very shocked when I phoned her at 36w3d telling her to get on the next flight.

yep, same.

2 c sections here...elective ....both arrived before allotted date - i know there are some dumb cliches around child birth and babies but this one rings true for me: babies love to spoil plans!

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 11 February 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

If that is your main reason then you also have to consider that vaginal birth doesn’t automatically mean being active. Sure Csection does mean a period of careful recovery but tbh the most severely birth injured women I know had vaginal births. Given a friend of mine couldnt lift her toddler for over 6 months and could only shuffle to walk for months too after a vaginal birth it’s worth remembering there’s no absolutes here.

Agree.
I have had multiple abdo surgeries and never was I in the same pain as I was post my first baby with a huge epistiotomy, tear and haematoma which had me in agonising pain for 8 weeks with the inability to poo and wee without drama.

People need to realise women often have more suture material in the perineum than they do for a C/S.

Edited by Soontobegran, 13 February 2019 - 06:33 PM.

#14 KwaziiCat

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

I never considered a VBAC after my emergency c-sec.  My obs was fine to attempt but I said straight up no.  

After a terrible recovery first time round, the second one went very smoothly.  I was completely fine by day 4 and asked to be discharged (I had a toddler at home).  In saying that there were no issues at all and I was up and walking fine the next day.  First time round I was needing constant help from the midwives, but the second time I really only had to call for them the first night when I couldn't get up to feed my bub.

No regrets here, and would do it again.  
All the best with whatever you decide!

#15 MrsCee

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

I was in a very similar situation as you, OP.

First baby CS and a second delivered 14 months later. My OB insisted on another CS due to the close deliveries.

I’m confident you will make the best decision for you and you little family but I must say that having a 14 month old, a newborn and a CS recovery was challenging.

My 14 month old had been walking since 11 months but still wanted lots of lap time and still wanted to be carried around, especially since there was some jealousy about the new baby being nursed.

Unfortunately, after the CS this wasn’t always possible. It meant DH had to take 6 weeks off to mostly help with the toddler.

I’d just be mindful of the long recovery  I know I had and what a challenge it was with a newborn and a young toddler. The recovery of the first CS with just a newborn was vastly different.

#16 Charli73

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

Emergency CS first time and second birth was planned CS 15 months later... never ever considered VBAC given the first was such a horrible birth stuck etc it was traumatic and draining on everyone and recovery was terrible as I had very bad pelvic separation..

Elective CS was amazing, calm lovely smooth delivery as there wasn’t that rushed feeling and everything was explained to me and I knew what to expect also..

I found the recovery heaps quicker as my pelvis hasn’t been forced to try and deliver so I was very happy..

As long as baby comes out I don’t think it matters how it happens as long as baby and yourself are healthy. It annoys me when ppl get judgemental on how you give birth.. relax and enjoy the epidural :)

#17 nephthysa

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

Again, thanks so much everyone! I’m pretty much leaning towards setting a date and being done with it at the moment - just means that we can get everything all locked away and sorted.

My recovery from my first C was fine, I was up the next day (had LO at midday) and showered unassisted. I have help for home and date will be around Easter so lots of people off work 😄 then school holidays too (anut and sister work at schools) for at least the first couple of weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.